Checklist for the martial artist?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shortfuse, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

I was once told that its much better to focus on one or a few goals at a time then to try and exel at many at once. If you try to take on many goals the line between over reaching and overtraining becomes thinner and thinner. i decided its much better to concentrate on more specific goals than all at once.. that way you benefit more! for some cases at least

what are the things that a martial artist should train for other than techinques, and grappling, and sparring and katas?

so far I have:

Speed
    Agility
    Strength
    Power
    Stamina/endurance
    running speed and endurance

anything else?

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Reflexes, concentration.

PL

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You can take your goals and separate them into 4 different areas which takes into, which I believe, all the necessary considerations for personal advancement in the martial arts.

Per KickChick's Checklist:

Body Conditioning: to improve strength, flexibility, speed & reflexes

Techniques: to improve hand strikes, kicks, takedowns, grappling

Sparring: to improve both tournament & streetfighting

Philosophy: to improve the martial artist's mind

4. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

you could further simplify that if you like...

1. how suitable your body is for what you want it to do.
    2. how suitable the mind is.
    3. how good you are at using the mind to get the body to do just what it is you want it to do.

5. b33p

b33p New Member

you cant seperate those type of goals, when you gain strength you gain power
    and so on and so on

6. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

The most important things in martial arts are not physical. They're also harder to truly progress.

But, if your instructor knows what s/he is doing, then in most martial arts, your strength, speed, stamina, reflexes, and focus should improve as you train. Sometimes there isn't even any need for weight training.

So, yes, focus on smaller goals and work towards them, and eventually, you'll be able to take on your more challenging goals, and finally your ultimate goal. Everything mentioned above, save the mental parts, should progress if you train regularly, and your mentality will get better and better only if you WANT it to.