Changing WTF training methods

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TKDmmafiter, Jun 14, 2006.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

I have. Several times.

Your fighting view, your strategy, is a paradigm. You see a fight the way you were trained. You fight the way you are trained. If you are not trained to fight a puncher, you do not have the requisite ability to apply your kicks against him. There may be some carry-over, but it won't be much. One of the BJJ guys I've trained with has a saying, "You may be a black belt on your feet, but you're a white belt on your back."

If you want to learn to fight someone who punches, you're going to have to fight someone who punches.

2. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

And also Janggoon, this is the second time you have accused me of racism on this forum. KMA and its history are so filled with crap and its practitioners are brainwashed. When you hear the truth, try not to use some retarded Korean pride as a cop out.

3. MadMonk108

*cough*Kyuktooki*cough*

4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Karate was developed from Okinawans, who changed Crane style CMA to suit their needs. I see KMA as a step from Karate in the same way the Okinawans changed Kung Fu to Karate. So if you are going by that logic, then it is CMA not JMA.

5. MadMonk108

Real Korean pride is honoring the original KMA founders, who suffered at the hands of the Japanese, who learned what they could from their oppresors, and moved forward.

False Korean pride is ignoring history in favor a fairy tale myth.

6. MadMonk108

COJKMA.

7. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Well how far back do you wanna go? :)

8. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

It's all just kalaripayattu anyway.

9. MadMonk108

GrecoRoman FTW.

10. MaverickZ

MaverickZ Guest

Oh no you din-nt

11. MadMonk108

Yeah I did. And I'd do it again.

12. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Yeah well I'm just goin by what the Koreans learned. They didn't learn CMA, they learned OMA/JMA but I know what you are trying to say.

That's similar to the argument people give against the TKD is 2000 yr old discussion, that because you can trace TKD's component arts to other arts that existed for a long time, that it actually is 2000 yr old.

13. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I dont think i was very clear. What i should have said was is Karate CMA? If no, then neither is TKD/TSD JMA.

But its cool, im just playing devils advocate.

14. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

Which of course, is like saying you can trace Brit rules boxing to the Greek Olympic version.
    Fact is, kicking somebody to hurt them is not a unique idea. The "fighting stance" is not a unique idea. Hell, hurting people without getting hurt yourself is not a unique idea.

That's why I personally think Bruce Lee is the first one to get it right(on paper). Learn as much as you can, keep what works, ditch the rest.

And I've ended up ditching a LOT of what I learned in WTF TKD.

15. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Good point, tho Mas Oyama was doing it long before Bruce Lee.

16. BigRed389

BigRed389 Valued Member

True, and I'm sure somebody did it before Mas Oyama as well. I meant that Bruce Lee's biggest contribution was in making the philosophy "popular" by bringing it over to the US, from where it's really spread.

And thanks for bringing up Mas. It's worth mentioning to contribute to the COJKMA discussion, that Mas Oyama, KOREAN Kyokushin master, was one of those Koreans asked to help found Tae Kwon Do. 2000yr old tradition indeed.

17. MadMonk108

And thousands of others had been doing it before them. Both are inspirational, neither are all that original.