Changing to a plant based diet to avoid health problems associated with meat and dairy

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ned, Jul 28, 2018.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It would be interesting to see the difference in risk between red and processed meat.

3. ned

ned Valued Member

From studies I've read processed meat also carries added dementia risk, this article looks at relative cancer risks of both.
    I think as a general rule of thumb processed food of all types is best avoided where possible for a multitude of reasons
    ( says I scoffing a jaffa miniroll at lunchtime ! )

Processed meat and cancer – what you need to know

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Plus the experts do say that eating more fibre helps prevent colorectal cancer - so wholemeal bacon butties it is then! :D

5. ned

ned Valued Member

Joking apart, the intensive farming methods, heavy use of antibiotics and intelligence of pigs made bacon and pork the easiest of meats to drop from my diet.
    My mother and her brother both died from bowel cancer and being in the age group where risk is heightened meant it wasn't a difficult change to make.
    Don't let me stop you enjoying your bacon butties though ☺️ !

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I do not eat bacon. Have not for years. And you might be surprised how many Americans actually take offense to me bad mouthing bacon. I have also not eaten red meat for years.

But as of yesterday evening I have returned to my Ovo vegetarian ways with ocassional leaning towards Pollotarian (when in Chinatown). But I am also going to try Lacto-ovo vegetarian for a bit as well and see how I feel

axelb likes this.