Changing Art?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Zuttanany, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Zuttanany

Zuttanany New Member

Hi everyone, I haven't posted for a very long time but I am looking for some advice.

I took Taekwondo for about 1 1/2 years, recently taking a break. I managed to progress up the belts well, but I just didn't feel challenged by it. I took my green belt test and felt I wasn't much fitter or stronger than when I started. Do you think this is the gym or the art?

I am considering changing art all together. I really enjoyed doing poomsae, and was consistently commended by my examiners (external examiners from the national governing body, so I do not think that the gym just passed us all to make money). However, I regret the fact that I didn't feel stronger and didn't feel like I got much from the experience.

I am tempted to try Aikido or Karate, but would either of these be suitable for me? I am quite a small girl (1.6m, 45kg) but would love to work at something that would challenge me. I would love your comments or suggestions. Sorry for such a long post!

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Without being harsh...maybe it's you?
    IMHO a class can only do so much and things like conditioning and personal fitness are on the individual to maintain and improve.
    I used to like classes that were mostly technique and drilling (you know...actually learning and working on things) and take care of fitness in my own time.
    These days, as I'm older, I like a fitness/physical/active class because being a badass fighter is lower on my list of priorities, I have a certain technical base anyway and just want to be active. And I have precious little time to devote outside of what little time I've put aside for martial arts.

3. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I did ninjutsu for 18 months with an non affiliated dojo, though I learnt quite a bit I felt that some were just there for the word ninja, I have since been told by a high ranking bujinkan member that the instructor shouldn't even be teaching, I've decided to do judo, and kickboxing/thai you do get out what you put in like misfire said, I trained at home every day and rapidly improved. But I'd say any art is good if you train hard

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Muay Thai is pretty challenging. That's without competing.

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Might have been a mc dojo, so not her fault?

6. Zuttanany

Zuttanany New Member

Thanks for your comments. The place I train at is affiliated to the national federation but is quite new. I was one of their first students when they opened. I will go and research a bit more.

Smitfire - I accept that I could do more myself. I do run 3-4 times a week and I also do yoga as it helps me keep old injuries away. However you are right that I could do more, as strength training is definitely missing. I guess I thought that I would get this from my class but I see this could be wrong.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I doubt you'll get anything useful in the way of strength training from your classes. Most classes that do any fitness work concentrate on conditioning as opposed to strength. There may be a little crossover between the 2, but not much.

Decide what it is you want from a martial art (forms, competition, kicking, grappling etc), then find a club that offers these. You may get some fitness stuff as well but, if general fitness is you main goal, then it should be something you work on outside of class.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Lack of an exercise element in a class doesn't always equate to a mcdojo.
    In fact some classes cover up the fact there's not much technical material or in-depth study going on by doing loads of exercises instead (as they don't require any real knowledge or teaching ability to deliver).

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

My class is the highest quality and there is focus on technique. The theory being that people can get fit in their own time. They come to learn martial arts.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

11. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

Many martial arts schools focus on relaying technique and refining that technique. Through that practice and carrying it home for repetition there, you will get to the point that you will be able to do what you're learning, but not much beyond that. An example from my experience in karate, two black belts that I knew could each do all the kata perfectly, and essentially identically. However, one did traditional hojo undo exercises at home, and worked on cardio conditioning and as such was stronger, faster and had a deeper gas tank for fights.

Basically, without dedicating a portion of outside time to improving the output capabilities of your body, you're only learning the technical part of the art, and you become like a blunt blade. It takes the additional activities to sharpen the edges.

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I meant her feeling lack of progress, 100% agree about fitness, I do it all at home

13. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Classes that involve padwork rounds, sparring rounds and drill resistently will work you out during technique practice with the added bonus of teaching you practical skills.

As Chadders suggested Muay Thai would do this.

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yeah the jkd I recently started might sometimes be nearly an hour or sparring, that's gonna build some fitness for sure my missus didn't want me in the car cos of the sweat dripping off me afterwards

15. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I used to take the bus back from my muay thai gym before I moved house... Not sure which was more potent: the steaming rancid sweat or the palpable crushing sense of my own guilt.

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I'd say try em all, I for one didn't get on with Tai Chi, I'm not disputing the effectiveness I saw in the combat applications just weren't for me, do separate fitness and try em all :)

17. Zuttanany

Zuttanany New Member

Thanks so much everyone. I will maybe try some other arts to see if I enjoy something else more. We do not spar much in class, it is normally only 10 minutes at the end of class. Will ask my instructor if I can do some more sparring and will work on a strength programme outside of class.

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I'd say being a small lady, concentrate on some low weight high rep dumbbells, still builds strength no matter what the meathead say, do HIIT cardio few times a week and first and foremost do an art you enjoy, and if you can get access to a Punchbag, kill it as often as possible

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

As a non-meathead small lady I'd say ignore this and work with heavier weights. If you want to build strength, heavy weights with lower reps are the way to go. 'Heavy' is obviously relative to your current strength level, but you should be struggling, with good form, to complete your last set (3-5 sets of 5 reps is a good starting point).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Id seriously consider keeping your comments to things you actually know about, I'm honestly not too sure what those topics are but I'm very sure strength and conditioning really aren't two of them