Changes due to MA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 6footgeek, Nov 21, 2011.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

I'm feeling random and bored. i can't play skyrim for a while or else i might just yell FUS RO DAH during sparring. *i wonder if it'll create an opening though =P*

So yeah. what changes did you experience after starting MA and why if you can describe it. i'm not talking about deep psychological changes or enlightenment or that sort of thing. I'm talking simple things, like changes in routine and such.

I'll start.

1. I became an early sleeper and early riser. Because i used to be too tired after class and went to bed max by ten. and that resulted me getting up fresh by 5.30 where as before i'd just pray Fajr and hit the sac till 8.

2. started avoiding lifts and car rides where i could and it became a hobby. as when i started out i was in pretty bad shape. now i make a point to use the stairs where ever i am =)

3. I've started acting on my negative emotions more. by that i mean that i was and still am quite the introvert. i'd use to simply avoid the audacities that my friends and fellow uni students did during clinics and just deal with the problems i had to face because of them, now i've started reprimanding them and demanding proper behavior from them where they seem to **** me off. =P

4. Cut down on the tea and fizzy drinks a LOT.

5. And i have a distaste of jeans now. i prefer dress pants or our local dress, the shalwar kameez. i think we all know why =P

wow. this takes more thought than i previously expected. i'll add more as i go. =)

2. UechiWillam

UechiWillam Valued Member

1. I cut my hair short.
    2. I quit smoking.
    3. I quit drinking alcohol.
    4. I quit drinking coffee.
    5. I began to dress better. (However, in the last couple of years I've noticed I wear a gi more than I wear street clothes).
    6. I quit eating meat.
    7. I quit consuming dairy products (or anything that comes from an animal).
    8. I found it easier to discipline myself in other areas.
    9. I dropped 90 pounds.
    10. I stopped settling for drugged-out chicks.

That's a start.

3. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

way ahead of you here. it will.

FUS RO DAH!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

4. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

guys, those are some significant differences!

interesting concept at work on this thread. never really thought of martial arts as "changing" anyone. always saw it as less of "changing" and more like "ignoring". a change is something undertaken as an act of will, but ignoring things often happens in the pursuit of something that is desired.

putting this another way, one might not "change" by deciding to give up drinking sodas or smoking cigarettes. however, one may omit these things by simply not thinking about them, due to attentions being focused elsewhere (like studying a martial art).

of course, this may be due to having started so young and not learning to focus attention to certain things in the first place. never smoked cigarettes, sat around getting fat. mostly, never even realized these things might actually be possible. the subjects simply never came up.

because of this, will never really know what changes might have been possible during the "martial arts career". overall, life has been interesting. that may be the biggest difference between this skull, and everyone else. many people often claim to be bored once in a while.

can't ever remember having been bored.

not ever.

so if nothing else, there is THAT.

6footgeek, for so interesting a thread,

thanks

5. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

H'mm, I'd say I dress less smartly actually, used to always wear smart-casual, now have developed a hatred of wearing anything I can't move in. I never used to feel so constrained in a pair of smart jeans/trousers. Tend to wear trackies, or else combats/baggy shorts when I need to smarten up a little. Kilt still for weddings and stuff of course :D I run up stairs too, but I pretty much always have, that and walking everywhere was always my habit. This is after the last year or so of MT/FMA, when I was fencing I wore school clothes or fencing gear mostly.

Other then that, humm, use my elbows to tap buttons? Hublud and the occasional high kick for doors/cupboards? S'more when I'm not thinking, sometimes get a brain fart and know I need to use something to close it and just use whatever's in range...

6. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I have to agree with the exercise one and being more health conscious. It wasn't until I started doing MA in general, that I started to seriously exercise on a regular basis. Now on top of Martial Arts, I'll also go to the gym on off days and sometimes even before an MA class.

I'd say alcohol as well, I cut a lot of that out with the start of MA. I'll still drink on occasion, but I'm a far cry from the people who will go drink every weekend away.

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I eat better. Just cutting out the frakking sugar helped me drop about 30 lbs over the first 6 months or so of training in BJJ.

6 years training in BJJ has fundamentally changed my body type. I'm thicker through the middle, and my back and shoulders are much stronger then they once were.

Oh, and my right ear, while still a far cry from some, will never be the same. Some guys are very unlucky with cauliflower ear, but I've managed to train for a long time with little damage to my ears. My right ear is a little puffy now, but it's really only noticeable if you compare it directly to my left ear.

8. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Became awesome!

I didn't make drastic changes like quit drinking (altho I don't drink a lot anyway) or become a buddhist monk. When I started training in Muay Thai I was one of the skinniest guys in the school at 155lbs. As a result I started lifting weights and eating more and put on about 30lbs in the next 12 months.

Once you start learning how to punch people you become more aware of how badly you can get hurt if someone can throw a better punch, so I started to avoid fights as much as possible.