Change martial arts after 2.5 years..?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Barrence, May 10, 2019.

1. Barrence

Barrence New Member

Hello there.

I have a question. Anyone had a complete change of which martial art they're studying after training for some time?

I've been training in one for 2.5 years now and am thinking of a complete change. It's been pointed out to me that I'm over half way to my black belt, and I should stick with it... but something in the back of my mind is looking for a change...

Any advice..?

Thanks..!

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Maybe a bit if background about what style you study, the reasons you are thinking of changing, and maybe any reasons why you can't do both this style and another at the same time?
    :)

Monkey_Magic and Barrence like this.
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What Axelb said. We need a bit more information to be able to give any advice..:)

Barrence likes this.
  4. Barrence

Barrence New Member

Thanks folks. Been training in Ninpo Taijutsu for 2 and a half years. Have had to take some time off (barely trained at all so far this year) due to injury.

The thought that I might be missing out on some other Matial Art that I've not trained in at all keeps coming up.

There's a local Mizong Quan class that is tempting me to try it...

My current Sensei has pointed out to me that I am curreny halfway to my black belt. I'm unsure whether I would be doing the right thing to stop and change at this point...

Just looking if anyone has had similar dilemmas..?

Cheers..!

axelb likes this.
  5. Barrence

Barrence New Member

Btw... don't have the time or money to train in both..!

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

No harm in looking at other styles/club's.

If you feel you are missing out on something I would suggest looking at as many different club's around as you can.
    Compare the class format and the general attitude in the class:

do they train hard enough for your expectations, or maybe the training seems too extreme for what you are capable of?
    does it cover techniques you like to learn?

Was your injury from training at your current place, and is it likely to affect your choice of style?

The common recommendation is to go and at least view (which you can do injured) or try a free class at multiple places before making a choice :)

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Are you feeling like something is missing from your practice? Is it making you feel unfulfilled? Or is this a "grass is always greener on the other side" sort of feeling? Your feeling still sounds sort of vague. I think you need to do a little self analysis to decide what is going on. Figure out what specifically you are wanting.

I am not knocking cross training or changing. But I also think that once one becomes more advanced, it gets harder. And you want to make sure that subconsciously, you are not just seeking the easier path. I am not saying that is what is happening. I am saying you should think about what and why in more depth to make sure that isn't what is going on.

I probably have a minority opinion on here in that I am more for mastering a style or two over training a bunch of different styles. Cross training is all the rage with MMA. And it certainly has merits. But I personally am more for really digging far and in depth in fewer styles, rather than not going in depth in a bunch of styles. But everyone has to decide what is best for them in this matter.

The checking out other schools and seeing what is going on is always a good idea. Especially if injured. You have the time to do some research.

Let us know what you end up doing.:)

Mitch, axelb, Barrence and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What are your goals?

axelb and Mitch like this.
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Martial arts are just like dating, you need to go out and see what you enjoy, and then when your sure, commit yourself properly, and know, if you do decide to change them, you'll probably have to buy all new clothes again!

Dont over think, go to a few classes and just try things!

10. axelb

I read that in the voice of Swiss Tony: D

Dead_pool and ned like this.
  11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Well done young Paul... Listening to me talking about martials arts, is just like making love to a beautiful women....
    First of all comes the Internet..... Then finding your niche forum.... And next... Actually I think we should draw a discreet curtain over this....

Which reminds me of a time I once spent in holland.. ....

I'll get me coat!

Mitch, ned and axelb like this.
  12. Barrence

Barrence New Member

Update... So I have been attending the new class - Shaolin Mizong Quan. Glad I gave it a chance as I am loving it..!

axelb, Mitch, hewho and 2 others like this.