Chang Hon style Patterns analysis.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Smokemare, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

As a point of interest I've been picking apart the ITF style patterns to look at how the difficulty of them progresses and get an idea of what the author was trying teach in each individual pattern.

It's a definite work in progress, but if anyone is interested it's here:-

http://tulfacts.net23.net/index.htm

2. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Link did not work

3. Says website under review

4. Smokemare

Ahhh, the hosting company do that sometimes - it will be working tomorrow probably.

5. Evainski

Evainski Valued Member

Nice.. One thing I noticed you left out is the W block in Toi-Gye. Good work!!

6. Smokemare

Thanks! The San Makgi I believe it is called - I will correct that and re-post it. I really want to try and find time to do Hwa Rang and Choong Moo too - then I suppose a black belt version comes after that :p

7. I think people will find this very useful.

You could develop it further and include pictures of stances etc. if you wanted, but it is already a great resource - especially for people preparing for the theory part of their grading.

8. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Interesting site - bookmarked.

Cheers for taking the time to do this and sharing.

9. Smokemare

I've corrected Toi Gye now, there were lots of errors in it - looks like I'd uploaded it before finishing it! Sorry! It's right now I think. If anyone spots an error - just let me know.

I'll take into consideration any suggestions for improvements - There are lots of sites that tell you the move order and so fourth - I didn't want to emulate that - I really wanted to extract the facts abou the make-up of each pattern and lay them out in an easily readable manner.

My first priority is really to do Hwa Rang and Choong Moo.. When I get time, it's quite time consuming to do these, particularly as you get into higher patterns!

10. Smokemare

Oh when I do the black belt patterns, I will be doing Ko Dang and Juche, I've learned both and it's philosophy that 2nd Dans SHOULD learn both - so there you go.

11. Smokemare

I know it's been a long time since an update - I've been busy, too busy to train in fact and I'm going to Singapore in a few days so...

Anyway - finally an update, I have completed the page for Hwa Rang and updated the homepage. It's still a rather un-pro effort as a site, but all the information is there and correct - if it isn't let me know!

12. SeeDarkly

SeeDarkly Valued Member

Have you had a chat with StuartA yet? You and he would have much to discuss, I have just read his book, enlightening stuff...drop him a pm?

13. Smokemare

Um, no - I haven't - what makes you say that?

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He's written a whole book about analysing ITF patterns (the first few anyway). :)

15. Chubby

Chubby Valued Member

What an excellent resource! Thank you very much for putting this together. I have added it to my internet favourites as it'll come very much in handy for theory.

Cheers :)

16. Smokemare

Oh, maybe I should? Although I don't know how much credibility I'm due for this work - it's not particularly inciteful, I've merely collated the facts about the patterns and laid them out in a way that people can hopefully read, remember and possibly understand where the progression comes from.

It's not like I've offered anything new - just put information which everyone should have anyway into a more accessible format.

I'll message him though.