challenge match at the gym.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by faster than you, Mar 4, 2005.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i actually had a challenge match today! the challenger was the feared mythical street-fighter from the ghetto (rampage junior), who has also had wrestling training. he's also an awesome athelete, a 10 on a scale from 1-10. i'm in between 8.5 and 9. he went to class and merely obsereved the standup and clinch warm ups. then the class started rolling. he decided to coach some of my partners from the sidelines against me for about 15 minutes. he had observed class before so he knew i was pretty good. he had made some comments about how wrestles, "for real," and blah, blah, blah, "i'm hella tough."
    so rampage junior rolled with another wrestler and destroyed him; flying guard to side control passes, always keeping the top position, never touching one shoulder to the mat. what was funny is that he decided to roll with a guy who i had tapped several times and that rampage was coaching extensively in thug jitsu, at least for the class. my instructor was keeping an eye on mini quinton for the duration, but nothing scary went down.
    so my instructor calls class, but rampage strolls onto the mat sits down; and tells the instructor he wants to grapple with me--i agree. the guy is 6 feet 2, 205 pounds, and ripped. i'm as tall, also cut, but only 160 pounds.
    we begin, i pull guard and immediately try to snap his back and neck with a neck crank/body triangle combo. i hear him gagging, but don't feel him tapping. i decide to give up on that sub. i honestly was worried that i might kill him due to the sub combo, but the guy was a monster, but more importantly he was full of the arrogance of youth; and the badassness that comes from growing up in the ghetto. i'm guessing he must have also wanted to embarass me in front of the class. why else would he announce a post class challenge?
    he starts to break guard by pressing my legs down and standing, but i keep guard. i try some reversals, but he astutely counters due to his gyroscopic balance and wrestling talent. next i go for an armbar and he thinks to further immitate rampage by slamming me hard 3 times in a row to the mat. my instructor is grimmacing and looking away, while my wife is begining to get concerened. my legs come apart after the powerbomb fest, but i'm able to beautifully transition into a triangle. he starts to gag and launch spittle at my face. he finally taps after i squeeze to the point that my hamstrings almost snap. then we shake hands and all is cool.

p.s. i'm 24, but he's no more than 21...i'm also full of youthful arrogance, and i delight in it. :D

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Congrats and good to hear there were responsible people around to keep order.

Wrestling is a good art and can enhance peoples grappling game a lot and be developed into a solid submission style.

Grats on tapping him out and the style of the win - sounds good. Is he gonna be a student?????

3. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

thanks...noone knows if he'll keep training...he's difficult to read...he trained for a bit, but 'taught' as much as he trained; and he didn't mention joining after class...

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

You normally get people like that at some classes; they seem to just wander from class to class.

Congrats on your tapout though.