Chalk this up to - Why do I bother

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Looking closely at the laptops they purchased, that I told them not to purchase and why not to purchase them...... no RJ45 port....and they did not buy an adapter..... my imaging system depends on the computer having an RJ45 port...... oh well.....they're not so lucky.....we're talking after new years now.....since I have to go old school and do the images, manually, 1 at a time.

Ironically we have a meeting today about changing our imaging system since ours is rather old, but still working great.....

Dan Bian likes this.
  2. Xue Sheng

I apologize for this...I can't get into detail.....but suffice to say..... something just occurred that left me REALLY wishing I could do this externally...not just internally

axelb likes this.
  3. Xue Sheng

Update here.....those 15 laptops...wrong OS and there is something else set, likely in the BIOS, that is causing me headaches trying to change it...... killed one actually with the install that seemed to work. Now it will not recognize the USB ports, and will not boot to OS. So I cannot install with an external DVD or a Flash drive..... Can boot to recovery though.....So I did.... plugged in the recovery media that was sent with the laptop...... failed...why...well the laptop was Windows 7 pro...recovery media...Windows 10

Dan Bian and axelb like this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Thank You DELL!!!! Rassin frassin no good no account pack-o-buffoons

I know Win7 will not install on an i7 Intel processor, that is why I purchase i5s and allow i3s..... but you know what...if Dell does not install the proper USB driver on the dang WINDOWS 7 laptop then you cannot install the proper version of windows 10 using a USB stick...OR an external DVD drive....so now I have to fix my bootable thumb drive to have the proper drivers....I am truly beginning to hate them.....

axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  5. Xue Sheng

Heres what the deal is on the 15 laptops...that had Windows 7 Pro installed, and how or why Dell did this, I have no idea. You cannot install any other version of windows 7 on them with a flash drive or external dvd...why...because Dell did not install windows 2 drivers for the USB slots on the laptops. Have to rebuild my my bootable flash drive with the windows OS with the windows 7 drivers on it.....freaking Dell.

axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  6. Xue Sheng

All the new laptops are going to be Win 10....that is the only choice...and even that took some work to get a couple of missing drivers....but the one is done and going to be imaged soon.

Back to the exciting adventures associated with post number 1..... spent the last 3 weeks with 3 to 5 laptops on my desk with various issues and 2 of those are for set up and of course set up of the original laptops that were purchased against IT advice......finally got one out to them....working on the 2nd and the 3rd and 4th to come. they should go faster now that I have all the Group policies down as well as the Group policy editor in Win 10. Have to do all the policies individual because we are not ready for Win 10 yet on the network side......well....after I gave them the new laptop...it came to my attention that they are making statements amongst themselves that the reason I am taking so long is that I am intimidated by their intelligence......bought laptops against advice....purchased an inkjet printer with all sorts of bells and whistles they never will be able to use...and this printer was not even given as an option....and I am afraid of their intelligence.....alrighty then....Their printer is now set up...however since I have not been officially told where they want it placed.....it sits here near my desk....they are also talking amongst themselves as to why the printer is taking so long......if it were not for that dang intimidation I feel......

When I heard this today...I literally laughed harder than I have in a long time......

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  7. Xue Sheng

On an unassociated IT note.... a justification for getting a second monitor is not....because other people have them

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  8. Xue Sheng

Now that I think about it a bit more.....New favorite Microsoft Windows Error...Thank you windows 10

My favorite was "Keyboard error, please hit any key to continue"

This one is as good.. Doing updates on a Windows 10 PC and when I went to run the updates that Windows update listed I got this error. "We cannot update your Computer because it is not on"

pgsmith, Pretty In Pink and axelb like this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Brilliant!!! :D

I always favored the Catastrophic errors, when critical isn't compelling enough.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  10. Xue Sheng

OK, so a while back they changed the IT structure in the state government in which I work. And in this restructuring they took our budget for IT purchasing and gave us a new and "better" system...or at least that is what we were told. So...I follow the procedure for an $80 dollar purchase that is needed for someone to do their job properly...forget it took them 8 months to get back to me...forget they ignored all my e-mails asking them what is going on....forget I had to call and escalate this to a supervisory level....and forget they never really read the purchase request....forget that they closed it and told me it was non-standard for a PC.....which it would be....but we are talking Mac.... but what I can't get past is now I am asked how am I going to pay for it.......my response....you took our budget for such things...... you are supposed to pay for it......but apparently I am mistaken...so my next statement was....if I have to pay for this....why am I talking to you....I could have gotten this 8 months ago..... I hung up.....

11. Xue Sheng

OK, the original reason this post was just got better.

Working on the last one of the XPS laptops....purchased.... in December 2018.....came with a BIOS Lock that is password protected...... from Dell..... and it also shows out of Warranty. So they will not help me. Also the name on the laptop, as the purchaser, is no one I know that would have purchased it...... so, at this moment, a brand new Dell XPS, that I told them not to buy, is a doorstop

pgsmith likes this.
  12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

This is going to be my "thread of the year vote" 2020

pgsmith and Xue Sheng like this.
  13. Xue Sheng

Yet another laptop issue and the IT folks on the site will get this.

Get issued a slue of new laptops by the Main IT office, to issue to folks
    Need to make a base image for Windows 10
    Laptops in this office generally are off network for months at a time
    So their is an need for an MAK key since they will not see a KMS server once they leave my setup room
    Request a MAK key for Windows 10 from main IT
    Get this response
    Request denied, we do not support off network devices

Apparently they only purchase then and issue them.... but don't want anybody to actually use them

14. Xue Sheng

oh, to back up a bit to this post

all I can say is someone made a switch...old XPS...looked exactly like the new XPS.... and did not think anyone would notice.....much trouble for them

15. Xue Sheng

Came across something perplexing. We were sent new PCs and in the PC there is a 256 GB SSD and a 6GB HDD......why?

axelb likes this.
  16. Xue Sheng

Bit of an update....the office that was the original impetus for this post.....is having issues with the laptops I told them not to buy.......go figure....

axelb, Dan Bian and Dead_pool like this.
  17. Xue Sheng

I think this fits here rather well.

Without going into great detail that might get me into trouble in the real world. After much discussion (we are talking months) with many folks, even some IT folks, trying to get them to understand the software an office purchased, and wants to use, will not run on any of our current computers or monitors, and after specing out what they need, and it is powerful, especially in the graphics card arena, as well as 5 times the cost of your average PC. And then discussing with all involved and finally getting them to understand and look to purchasing what they need..... I have come to the conclusion that I am purchasing equipment for people who do not understand it, to run software they don't know how to use.

18. Xue Sheng

And now they want 2 of them.....looking at about $10,000 for 2 computers that they don't understand to run software they don't know how to use.....

axelb likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

And now, believe it or not, they now want 3. I am not making the decision to purchase, if I were I would be hard pressed to give them 1. This decision is for a higher pay grade to decide. But they only have the software licensing for 1, only have 2 people that think they are going to use it, and I don't see buying a backup, just incase 1 or 2 break, as a justification. And the software is not cheap either.

20. windwalker

windwalker Member

[​IMG]

good thread, some how this came to mind...

best of luck in the new year

pgsmith likes this.