chain/nunchaks

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by johnson, Jul 29, 2003.

1. johnson

johnson Valued Member

we train these as part of our jj syllabus - but not particularly deeply.
    my experience of them is that they are great for impressing but the moment they hit something they spin wildly out of controll!!

I keep cracking myself with them !!
    Nunchaku quite good as a baton weapon, and along with the chain good for trapping to gain extra leverage.

wondered what other folks experiences were like??

2. BlackBeltCookie

BlackBeltCookie New Member

I've used nunchukkas over the years but only self-taught. I started out using the foam practice set. Just as well 'cos I kept hitting myself around the back of the head!!! :(

I agree that they do look impressive when you're flailing them around, but are most lethal when tucked under your arm ready to strike. I suggest you practice striking a piece of wood (padded preferably to protect them from any damage) With practice, you can learn to control them and return them under your arm or whichever position you prefer.

All good fun!!

3. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I own a pair of nunchuckus. Just to own'em really. I taught myself what I know about them being that I had them for a while. You you better believe I got my share of knots upside my head:(

4. johnson

johnson Valued Member

chained/flexible weapons

if you can really use a chained weapon with preplanned combinations and techniques then im sure it is very powerful.
    In the nunchak you give speed to a moving piece of wood, with a chain you give speed to the end section which whiplashes on impact. You could do the same for a belt, towel, dog chain........

The strikes are very hard to control though.........

The nunchak strike from under the armpit for me is about the most stable.

Even in game of death with the nunchak fight you never actually see nunchak collide with nunchak; you just see a whirling shield of wood - very frightining unless you happen to have a spanner!!

Traps, garottes, locks I think they are excellent although my vocabulary is quite small.

any websites??

5. smee193

smee193 New Member

6. Jessy

Jessy New Member

Hey
    Ive been teaching myself to use nunchakus for just over a year now, to be honest i hav'nt done much reading on them, but have learnt abit and the rest has just been what my body has felt is right way of doing things.there are no local schools around here that teach them where i could learn either. i was hoping someone on here could help (great site by the way). i use metal telescopic chucks with chains and i am fine with two chucks the problem i have is using one.. i never quite know what to do with my other arm when i am for a longer stint just using one arm, i usually keep it near body with my hand near my chest and fingers pointing upwards (like a bloke) until i move it when i am going to switch arms.. (i have no problem switching arms) i hope u understand what i mean and hopefully someone can give me a bit of guidance on this. thankyou.

7. smee193

smee193 New Member

yep i know exactly what you mean!

there are several books which show nunchaku kata ( cant remember names though ).

i have always held my other hand up near my face as a defense!
    sometimes from myself ( hit myself so many times ).

try having a look on amazon to see if they have any books!

good luck

Mark

8. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Where in North East England you from? I live in Leeds and train/teach nunchaku as part of a structured syllabus.

Drop me a PM or email if you are interested.

-Tob

9. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

If you hit and follow through right they won't swing out of control and hit you, keep practicing. It's really not that hard...

Traps and Locks - Work a lot better on paper then in practice. Spar with them, then try and make any of those work.

10. jesopca

jesopca New Member

I would prefer to use two impact weapons, as they are easyer to control and no backlash.
    The problem is finding instruction. You can find instruction on Escrima or Arnis, but most the movements would not apply is the weapons are baseball bats.

Wish I could find some good instructional books