CGI helper DVD ..

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by stoppy, Sep 18, 2003.

1. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

My partners and I (work collegues) are endevering on putting together some Martial Arts Helper DVD's we work in the Games and Film industry in effects and Animation and for ages have been angling to make some helper / demonstration tapes with a little animated character. Well with the Help of the BTMU we recently got hold of some great footage to use as rotoscope for our CGI TKD character.

We start the serious production in the fall (now) and I am putting a message out now in the best place to be, here on Martial Arts Planet to get some input to any thing you think we should avoid. Imagine TKD for dummies book brought to life in CGI.

well cover the important issues of basic techniques, through to advanced techniques, changing with each new pattern set. Ettiqutte in the dojang, correct attire, how to tie the belt (the animators are looking forward to that one) and of course the tae guk poomse's. The BTMU have also expressed that if these prove to be succsessful then they will fund other styles ITF TKD, Kickboxing, Tai Chi, and other member styles.

Well hope to get some feed back

Yours in MARITAL ARTS (oops) :)

Stoppy

2. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Great idea,
    I can see it being a lot of help to people at all levels. An area worth considering would be katas or forms etc. I learnt a great deal from videoing an Aikido 'Randori no kata' (17 techniques). As this is the basis for Aikido it was brilliant for reminding me (as I forget things....) what order the moves went in, footwork and positioning. Very handy come grading time.
    If you did manage to get it together or needed any help (probably not with the Aikido yet.... but I'm a IT system tester by trade) give us a shout.

3. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

Thanx .. this mail was about getting that kind of feedback.

I think we are looking at a london based distribution firm for europe .. but would need an american distributer for the lovely people over the big pond.

production time will be short for the first of four dvd's and we should have no problems with multi region ..

4. sindo

sindo New Member

Martial Arts Helper DVDs ? Sounds like a good idea - though I wouldn't recommend covering breathing techniques by DVD/video, as it is all too easy to try and copy without proper supervision resulting in injury when applying the techniques.

Give us a shout too if wanting help (I'm also in the IT industry and have been creating DVDs).

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :)

5. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

great .. tell me what do you prefer sonic's REEL DVD or adobes ENCORE ?

Stoppy

6. sindo

sindo New Member

I use Ulead VideoStudio 7 - great for my use as it is complete though after rendering, the typical maximum duration of footage is 1hr 10mins (not the full 2hrs these DVD claim to be capable of storing). Also a DVD is supposed to be capable of holding 4.6GB of information but in fact the most I could get on one is 4.0GB (so where does the other 600MB go....?! That is almost the equivalent of 1 CD wasted !!!)
    Sorry can't talk about Sonic REEL or Adobe Encore. Though I can recommend that you don't use Pinnacle Expression - it fails more than succeeds in DVD creation. That is why I bought Ulead.

7. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

K ..

I think ill stick to ROXIO DVD builder for the test press's we are doing. Then Ill move up to one of the ones I mentioned b4 .

Cheers

8. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

Masters out of the bag.

Well here he is.

The charater development will include generic students and a demonstration bot.

Will post more soon.

Stoppy

9. sindo

sindo New Member

He looks great ! Big feet though....bet he's not clumsy with them, eh ? ;)

10. stoppy

stoppy TKD Disciple

no .. over size is down to the fact that they need to be seen ..

cheers