Cerebral palsy advice

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Mike866, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Mike866

Mike866 New Member

Hi everyone!

I have CP mainly affecting the left leg causing some major muscle tension behind the knee. Im looking into starting a wushu class soon but the training seems a little more intense than im used to back in Karate and im trying to get advice on any flexibility training available.

Im not sure if my hopes of doing a full split someday are a little optomistic! lol

Id realy like to hear from anyone in a similar situation with any positive input.

Thanks
    Mike

2. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Do you do stretches with your legs often?

3. Mike866

Mike866 New Member

Yeah i train at home daily, have been for around six months just a bit of boxing and some kicking drills and i always stretch fully before and after yet im seeing no improvement! im not realy sure how often i should do it to receive results.... maybe my expectations are too high :)

4. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

The more active you are, the better you are going to feel. CP is such an individualistic thing, its hard to say what you could be capable of. That said, keep working towards it. Even if you don't get there, you'll improve your condition.

Good luck.

5. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Similar Circumstances

I'm in a similar situation with my CP. Flexibility and balance are my two weakest areas. I do dynamic and static stretching. I also stretch after my muscles have been warmed up by moderate activity. I also do a lot of leg strength training. I've made great progress compared to where I started, but I still have a long way to go before I'll be doing the splits as well. :D