CD rom drive need help!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jamesy, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Right my cd rom drive does not work. I put the cd in and it spins it about a bit and then nothing and I think its because I deleted something in 'Add or remove programmes' when trying to free up my comp. I don't no much about computers but is it the driver that i deleted? and can I download another one off a site? Please help

James

2. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Hey bud,I dont think you can remove your driver from the "add / remove programme,I think that is another screen.have you tried cleaning your cd rom with a cleaning cd?or wiping the laser eye with white meth's?
    Is there any noise when trying to play a cd?if there is your cd player may be stuffed.So you may need a new one.
    Like you i dont know much about computers ,Im learning as i go.I have just been through the same sort of thing and ended up replacing my cd player.
    Cheers
    Riki

3. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

O rite i thought it was that because when I deleted something (can't remember what it was) the cd player stopped working. It jst makes a spinning sound then stops. But I think ill try the ed cleaner if that doesn't work looks like im off to PC world.
    Thanks for your help.

4. rick_nz

rick_nz Valued Member

Sweet as bud,
    I should of said "Is there any excessive noise when trying to play a cd?
    I would hold of taking it to PC world for now,
    1)Hopefully one of the computer geeks on here will be able to answer you 1st.
    2)Also have you tried the microsoft help menu,they are pretty usefull for newbie's like us.
    3)also do you know of anyone that knows about computers?that could come around and have a look?
    I would try these three things before taking it to PC world.
    Have fun
    Cheers
    Riki

5. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

couple of points.

Nobody is going to be able to tell you how to sort the problem out, from the information you've given. However, you must have somebody you know who knows something about computers and the chances are they'll be able to look at your machine and sort it out in two minutes. PC World will turn it into an epic ordeal, when it really doesn't need to be.

Don't delete things unless you know what they are.

6. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Ask the me questions then. Erm im not sure if anyone I no does no anything about computers.

7. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

This is going to take a while,

Lets start with what operating system is your computer running (which version of windows).

Whereabouts in the control panel where you when you broke your computer?

Have you deleted any files?

Have you changed any files?

Have you installed anything new?

Have you uninstalled anything?

Have you fiddled with the hardware in any way at all?

Have you tried a different CD in the CD ROM?

When you open up "My Computer" what drives do you see?

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  8. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

No, you're right. You can't.

Does it show up in My Computer at all?

9. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

It's actually a fairly common bug in XP that CD Rom drives disappear, I have had it happen a couple of times...as have others.

I posted a fix I found here http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/forum.php?action=view_thread&id=9741&frm=5 so, if the drive itself just isn't showing up under windows, try that.

10. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

I spose that the ideal solution would be for Microsoft to make an OS that actually works as its inteded to. But seen as how they're never going to do that it looks like we're left to our own devices, or so to speak.

11. GeeMac

GeeMac Valued Member

You could check your device manager to see if the CD-ROM shows up and if the driver is installed. If your computer is not too old you may be able to do an "Add New Hardware" operation and recover the drive. You may also have a loose cable in the computer. The drive may still make noise and spin if the power cord is attached but a loose data cable would prevent it from working properly. Of course, your CD-ROM may simply have 'headed south' on you and needs replacement. :confused: