Caucasian in my country.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ero-Sennin, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree that the percentage of white males running things is very disproportionate to the actual make up of all the ethnicities in the United States. That said, there are multiple factors for that, some very unjust. I'm not opposed to there being a revision for how we elect people, but I am wary against certain people getting the opportunity to serve or run in those areas simply based on ethnicity or sex. That cannot be the reason that they are put into power. Proficiency and competency must be the determining factors, and equal opportunity must be provided at all costs.

To your second statement this is how I'll reply. My priorities go in this order of importance, 1. My God, 2. My family, 3. My country, 4. The world, 5. My environment. Dark things are done to get ahead, to survive, to get on top. I would do dark things for my family, my country, the world, or my enviornment if I could be convinced to do so, or I saw no other option. Is it right? Maybe sometimes, mostly probably not. That is the reality we live in. I also fully realize the "do unto others" rule and abide by recieving the same treatment from others and accept it as far as getting ahead. I can only hope that my generation, and myself, can help make this reality less the means of which we do things, and that the generation after me can do the same, and eventually at some point we all live in peace and don't screw each other over. I think we are already moving on that path, just so, so slowly.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

HEY!

You guys should try being Indian anywhere.

Even Indian people don't like us.

And Indians in India hate us the most!

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

People misunderstand affirmative action.

It is not about giving a less able minority preference over a white person. It is about recognising that the obstacles that a minority candidate had to overcome modifies the context of that person's achievements.

An example:
    Who worked harder, achieved more?

A white student who went to a private school and achieved an SAT score of 2300.
    A black student who went to a poorly performing public school in the Bronx and achieved an SAT score of 2200.

Who deserves a place at Harvard/MIT/etc more?

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Nah man, you should give being Hakka a shot. We are despised everywhere, a bit like Bothan spies... (a little Star Wars reference for you guys)...

5. Ero-Sennin

I read something about the caste system in India, and about the "untouchables" while I was deployed. It really upset me, but it's not my buisness.

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I like that! [​IMG]

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Just come to Scotland. open a wee shop. We'll love you :)

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

That's not abuse, that's just HOW IT SHOULD BE... :evil: :Angel:

9. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

yep class and race

10. Mangosteen

Aye!
    Already here mate!

Got asked if I was black last year by my flatmates. They genuinely did not know personally any people who weren't caucasian.

Where you at in Scotland?

11. Mangosteen

Yeah theres a lot of stuff about caste.
    I gets dumber that some people wont even let their kids have friends from another caste or religion -IN THE UK.
    They even disown their kids just for getting married to someone who despite is an accountant and makes a ton of money in the UK, has a surname that denotes that his family were carpenters when they lived in India in generations past.
    The caste system doesn't work outside ancient India and has lost all previous meaning and fluidity.

Wow thats a brillant point.
    I got friend who left uni because even though he's Scottish by nationality and doesn't pay fee's, he's stuck in the same situation as many minorities - he can't afford getting the education due to accommodation and living costs.
    Uni is basically make it or break it for him - he could get a job but he spends every hour outside of class preparing notes and studying - most hard working kid ever. As a result - when he left uni after 1st year, he had the highest grades in all his classes.
    I definitely think their should be more funding given to people like him - not because he's from a minority but because despite all the circumstances he came out of (all his high school friends are in jail or drug addicts) he still did amazing.
    These circumstances are just more common with minorities...

12. Ero-Sennin

I believe very much that a private organization reserves the right to pick who they pick, and I would not hold it against them if they picked the higher SAT every time. Now, what I think should happen is that the government make a HUGE incentive to have a program that is sponsered by the government and that organization to allow opportunities for those that had to work harder. I feel a strong enough incentive should be given to the point that it could actually seriously hurt a private organization if they didn't accept that program should it be placed in effect. Not sure if it's already like that though. I may just be spouting out exactly what things already are, or am way off.

Thankyou very much for the information about that though. No offense to you but I'll have to look that up to get confirmation about it, as I don't like to make a judgment on something purely from a post in a forum. But you've given me a direction to look based on what I'll assume is a sound understanding of affirmitive action. I think this will be very helpful for my own understanding on some things and I thank you for your input.

13. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Poor Ero Sennin, you really are clueless. All these centuries there has been affirmative action in the US, it's called being white. Were there countless cases where a less qualified white person(man) got: the job, a raise, to advance, a chance just because they were white? Duh. Were there cases where better qualified minorities were passed over? Duh.

You asked what could be done. My point was that until there is a level playing field, not much can be done. How do you level the playing field, who knows, but no true equality will be reached until it is a priority. So after all that, you come back with, "Oh but it can't be based on race." :bang: Really, you are becoming tedious. My advice, quit while you are only this far behind, and make sure your wife never finds your MAP account, oh yeah and read a few history books.:cool:

I take it you were in the National Guard or Coast Guard, as they protect our Nation but sometimes get deployed abroad. Whatever happened outside the US is a bit off from your original point but goes along with it. When you are outside your country, you are a visitor. How you behave as a visitor is often reflected back at you. If you go to another country and do things you wouldn't want people coming to your country and doing to you, how do you think they will take it?:dunno: Our history of imperialism is shorter than say Great Britains, but we have done some pretty ugly things in pretty much every continent so to feel sorry for yourself or complain again is a bit unsensitive and pathetic.

Oh, and this has nothing to do with loving your country. I love my country, just realize its failings and the fact that we have been permanently borrowing it from the indigenous inhabitants. It's kind of like supporting the troops but not necessarily the policy that places them in danger for the wrong reasons or the bad things they were forced to do in our government's name.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  14. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Yeah I think the natives have a seriously legitimate reason to complain especially in the US. Less so in Canada as we worked with them and didn't trick them out of their land... but it's still ours now so I'd be ****ed too.

15. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

What do you mean we worked with them? I am not an expert on the subject but aren't they pretty mad that we took their land? Did we not "trick" them? I was under the impression that we used treaties and such to take their land, while the Americans killed them to get their land.

Not to mention they are still pretty angry about the whole "Save The Man, Kill the Indian" thing.

16. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I meant more that initially when the french came here they worked with the natives because they were interested in trade. They took native women as wives and had the children who became known as metis. Then we started slowly exploiting them, putting them on reserves, and the culture killing thing. Where, from what I know of the US version, after the natives helped them plant crops and survive their fist harsh winter they slaughtered them by the thousands.
    I blame the church for the attempt (a pretty successful one) to kill their culture. Christianity has a proven track record for that all over the globe. I think more than just the natives of Canada or the US should be ****ed about that one.

17. SteveGTKF

SteveGTKF Valued Member

Try being a White Kung Fu Teacher in Japan! Me being a Causasian teaching Chinese Martial Arts in Japan has had its fair share of...problems, but you get on with it. Come on, guys, what's with all the complaining & hatred? Get on with being you & if you really have problems with it, learn about it some more rather than just saying it isn't fair.

18. Ero-Sennin

To your first paragraph, no duh. We've established that I agree that is wrong and needs to be monitered/fixed. As for saying that it can't "be because of race", I'm not being tedious. If we all want to be acknowledged as human beings, and not ethnicity or sex, then there can be no compromise on any end. That is the only way we will reach the means of thinking each other as human beings, and not seperating ourselves into our own catagory.

As far as you commenting on my wife, and saying poor ero-sennin, and all your other little stabs at goading me into frustration, its petty. I discuss this with my wife all the time, we get into arguments that would scare the living hell out of a "normal person" with how viscious we get. But we make sure to continue it, reach a conclusion we can both agree on, and try to work from there. It's ongoing, constructive, and I don't hide anything. You have no clue about what you're talking about in your personal stabs at me, and the fact that you do that (professionaly thinking) takes away your own credibility in anything you say.

National Guard or Coast Guard? Are you serious? Try Scout Sniper in the USMC, full time, active duty grunt. Been around the entire middle east and some of Europe on a MEU where I trained with many different military personel in other cultures, helped the people in Haiti during the devestating eathquake, and did a combat tour in Afghanistan. Just about everyting you can do as a grunt crammed into four years. I am greatly offended by how my country treats its service members, hate the Marine Corps with a passion, but my patriotism has grown tremendously and I am proud to have said I served my country and did my part. I am offended to be compared to the national guard or coast guard, but that's a personal thing : P. God bless them too.

If you don't mind me asking, you talk A LOT about your own education and this causes me to assume that you believe you are very well qualified to make the statements you make regardless of if they're right or wrong. How many years of college do you have and what is your major?

19. SteveGTKF

SteveGTKF Valued Member

Guys! This is a place to talk about Martial Arts, not take digs at each other. Agree to disagree & be the bigger man!

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I think you may want to go back an take a look at a lot of those treaties. If they're anything like the ones that got pushed through in the US they were by no means fair or many times even legal. Often times at gunpoint of threat of wiping out ones family. It's pretty hard to have a treaty written in another language signed by a person who doesn't read or speak the language and can at best sign his name with his thumbprint. I'm not entirely familiar with the nations up in Canada but I'm sure they weren't always given a fair shake either. The dynamics will be somewhat different... but I'm sure there are many cases where they're the same as the US.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011