Case for carrying a sword

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Nachi, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I am starting this thread to se if anyone has any tips for a specific sword case.

To explain. I am learning a form with a Taiji sword (jian) and I have my own which I bring to class every week and occasionally to seminars and such. The sword I have came with a very nice case with a crossbody strap.
    My problem is that for about half a year, if I can, I am riding my small motorbike. And the strap is sewn to the case and I feel a little insecure carrying it across my body on a bike like that. In case (though hopefully not) I have an accident, I would hate to be beheaded by the strap at the same time. I am exaggerating, of course, I am not even riding that fast, but I would still prefer not to have a strap basically around my neck like that.
    My partner had an accident on a bike at 50 km/h and I saw the nasty bruise even the helmet strap gave him. And that was under the chin, not on the throat.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or better, tips, how to either (easily) tie a sword to a bike or about a case that has like two straps that would allow me to carry it like a backpack around my shoulders. Or, if there is no alternative, with a strap that has a buckle or something that would give way easier than my neck...
    I tried googling, but other than ninja-like backpack for double swords, I did not find much.

Eventually I found this:
    Robot or human?
    but Walmart is out of reach for me in Europe. Anyone has any tips? (Preferably for something that doesn’t look too ridiculous.)

I may try to make one myself, but I am lazy and not good at sewing, so if I can avoid that...

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Maybe look at hockey stick bags, there's some with two straps available. They might be too long however to ride a Motorbike with.

Nachi likes this.
  3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Nachi likes this.
  4. Nachi

I didn’t thimk of that! I’ll check thgose out. Although I am a bit worried they would be. bit too long? I’ll take a look, though, thanks!

5. Nachi

Thank you!
    To be honest, I don’t particularly like the idea of looking like I am carrying a rifle, but if something like that would work, I’d probably be up for it. Thank you for all the links, that’s very useful.
    However, the way it is mounted to the bike wouldn’t work on mine, unfortunately. I do not have this kind of motorbike. Just the small one, Vespa-like:
    upload_2022-7-29_21-39-23.jpeg
    Is there a term to call automatic ones in English? We call them "scooter", but in English that means something else, so...
    In any case, I wouldn’ be able to strap a sword to it in the same way as in the picture you sent. :(

The tip is good, though, I never thought of rifle case!

In the meanwhile I id a search and found straps for golf-bag, which looks like something I could use with some kind of a case.
    [​IMG]

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

7. Nachi

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Fishing rod bags, and artists tube portfolio bags may be worth looking at as well.

Nachi likes this.
  9. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Check out an archery back quiver, they had a strap design made to hold the quiver more securely in place than a single cross-body strap. Something like this: ARCHERY Leather BACK Arrow QUIVER / Quiver for Arrows 3 - Etsy

there are lots of craftspeople making similar items on Etsy, you can find one that looks good and ask if they can make a custom item based on that design, to fit your sword.

If you have a backpack style case that holds the sword straight up, I think it will either poke up high, or hang too low and you won’t be able to ride comfortably. So the case should probably ride at an angle across your back, but the strap system would be more secure.

you could even have it built in anticipation of when you learn dao, you can carry both together. Maybe two chambers so that each sword is secure on its own in the pack.

Nachi likes this.
  10. Flying Crane

Or just go straight for the back scabbard built for a sword, something like this: Leather Back Sword Strap Harness Scabbard Holder Medieval - Etsy
    Search Etsy, again a lot of people are making similar items.

again, the harness is more secure than a simple cross-body strap, and the sword would hang at an angle across your back. I wonder if you simply need to have the sword itself (in its own scabbard, of course) wrapped in something to keep it under cover so you don’t get unwanted attention from it, but the whole thing could fit into the back scabbard.

11. Flying Crane

12. Nachi

Those are great ideas, too!

13. Nachi

There's plenty of good tips, thank you! I found similar stuff to hold swords - more like medieval, which could probably be used, though honestly, I would prefer something that is not more expensive than the sword itself :oops:
    I have a bag with a strap that came with it. If possible, I would prefer to carry it in something like that rather than the naked sword in a scabbard. I am not often riding when the roads are wet, but sometimes it's inevitable and a case would prefer the sword from getting dirty.

As for carrying it like a backpack, yes, if it's straight down, it wouldn¨t fit on the bike, I was thinking perhaps I can adjust the straps of whatever I get so the sword isn't exactly vertical. But that would depend, too.
    Also good point with the dao. It won't be anytime soon, but eventually I would like to learn the dao form as well. And double dao :D But that's in the distant future.

14. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

I'm sorry I'm late to the party. This is probably overkill and way out of your range but many fencers particularly at college of they rely on bikes use it, It may be usefull if you intend to use it for something other than taiji

https://www.leonpaul.com/the-freerunner.html

or alternatively if you don't mind a strap across the body rather than a backpack this can work too:

https://www.leonpaul.com/duel-weapon-bag-classic.html

With the second one it doesn't have to be leon Paul. Many other European fencing equipment manufacturers do something on similar lines of an entry fencing bag if you want to avoid the monstrous failure that is Brexit postage fees.

15. Nachi

Thanks for the tips! It is not late, yet, I haven't yet had time to properly think it through, so any input is still welcome :)

The first bag is rather large, though. I really only need it for a sword :(

The second one is very similar to what I have at the moment. Mine is just slimmer overall, not so wide at the top. The crossbody strap, however, is precisely what I would like to avoid and the sole reason I am looking into other carrying option. It feels unsafe.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Initially thought this was going to be some sort of Phil Elmore-esque discussion on carrying a katana for self defence. :)

Nachi likes this.
  17. Nachi

Heh, too bad :D