Carpal Tunnel Syndrome exercises

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheDudeAbides, Jan 23, 2015.

1. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Valued Member

So Im not sure that this is the right thread, I searched a bit but could find anything specific to this topic.

Im 38 and started hitting the gym about 3 years ago. I dropped some weight (a very good thing in my case) about 55 pounds. I have moderate CTS and lifting caused quite a bit of pain. I switched to straight cardio on stationary bike and ellipitical. I also started hiking and backpacking quite a bit more. Im still a round dude at 250lbs but way healthier than when I started. I have been pretty bored with the running and bike so I signed up for some classes at a Shaolin Kempo school in Salem Or.

My first session is this Saturday but I wanted to start now with trying to improve my wrist stability, strength and endurance. I didn't think to ask anyone about it when I signed up earlier this week.

Currently I can do a few pushups with so/so posture. I can hold what I think is called an extended plank (straight arm rather then elbow found out the elbow one existed for the first time last night)for about 1:20 and maintain what feels like the correct posture. My grip is fairly weak (I think) but Ive completed all of my doctor assigned PT but none the less I still cant seem to feel like my hand and wrist strength has built back up.

Any suggestions for improvement? I googled it but my google fu is week and didn't seem to be finding the answers I sought.

2. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

I honestly wouldnt worry about it too much as long as your instructor knows you should jsut be able to build it up over time.

If you like backpacking and hiking how about some rock climbing I have heard that does wonders for grip?

3. TheDudeAbides

I am not super keen on the rock climbing but, I do hike in a few places that are super steep which require 3-4 points of contact at times using both hands and feet but, not what I would think of as rock climbing.

On the other hand I forgot I had an intro lesson last night, Im really glad I set a reminder on my phone. Short and sweet, just a skill assessment and learning how to tie my belt.

I am pretty sure I found that this post should be moved to the flexibility thread or one of the others. I thought I saw that yesterday but was unable to find it again after registering.

4. StrikingDragon

Steep climbs are good!

Did you mention in your intro your concern?

5. TheDudeAbides

I did, and I was shown something that should help with finger strength a little bit and advised that more flexabillity should come with time. Otherwise my wrists seem stable and able to lock in pretty well. I also proved to be fairly resistant to a wrist joint lock we ended up going over in a class.

I was a little disappointed with my partner though. I was in my second class ever and he was a yellow belt, Im a fairly big dude at 5'10 250. I carry some weight in my middle but im pretty strong. Im not cut or anything but played soccer, football did a lot of cycling and worked loading semis for many years. The dude I was working with on this joint lock was probably about 170 and 6 or 6'1 and pretty lanky.

Ive never practiced this joint lock before and I know I am not hitting it every time. The kid hes' a nice guy and all but Im not trying to hurt him so and I don't know well what I am doing. He gives me a nod when I hit it right. The Instructor wanted everyone to "tap the thigh of your partner when they had it. The guy Im working with said to me hes' going to try and endure it as long as he can before taps. I kind of get that, training, conditioning and so on. But, him doing it with me a total novice that is overall much larger and much more prone to hurting someone by accident due to lack of experience seems wrong.

I kinda trusted the guys judgment to begin with him being a rank higher than I am and all, but with the more it went on I was thinking maybe not so much. The instructor would come over and have me make adjustments to my technique on occasion but I dont know that he ever saw what the other fella was doing. When ever the guy would tap out he'd have to rub his wrist and recover for longer than seemed like he should have needed to.

6. StrikingDragon

Sounds like you had nothing to worry about! :)

Maybe next time work with someone else if it makes you feel uncomfortable? To me it sounds as if he is just trying to be a bit tough and will probably soon stop it once he is aching all the time. Did he apply it reasonably to you?

7. TheDudeAbides

Well, he tried. He did a couple of times. He was able to apply the hold few times but not every time.