Carl Cestari videos

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by oldyangtaiji, Apr 30, 2008.

1. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Hi I am interested for the Carl Cestari's videos. I am also interested in which of them are worth to buy.

As I know the Cestari's DVDs are:
    Old School Series - 5 DVDs
    - OS1: Fundamentals of Unarmed Combat
    - OS2: Advanced Strikes
    - OS3: Ground Fighting
    - OS4: Defense vs Grabs & Holds
    - OS5: Bare Knuckle Boxing
    Seminars Series - 2 DVDs
    - S1: Fairbairn Seminar
    - S2: O'Neill Seminar
    Then are DVDs in which is also featuring Damian Ross:
    Core Combat Training - 3DVDs
    - CCT1: The Foundation Skills
    - CCT2: Advanced Fighting Skills
    - CCT3: Ground Fighting Skills
    Combat Jujutsu Series - 3 DVDs
    - CJ1: Throws, Grips & Dirty Tricks
    - CJ2: How to Gain Advantage on The Ground
    - CJ3: How to Build a Solid Ground Defense

But there are also few "new" DVDs that featuring Carl Cestari (but I am not sure):
    - Operation Phoenix
    - Law Enforcement Tactics
    - Iron Fist Iron Body
    - Daughters of Distruction
    What they cover? Are a worth buy?

Thanks.

2. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Do you already have a solid delivery system for defending yourself? If not, you're not going to gain it from any DVD. If you do have this delivery system, you really won't gain anything new from Cestari's DVDs.

3. noober

noober New Member

yeah i actually watched his core combat series.. the actual striking is basic.. chin jab, tiger claw, knife hand strike! not the real deal IMO..the ground fighting disc was good though...dirty little tricks like eye gouging with your chin..fun to watch cause carl gets into it..funny as hell watching them beating on the dummy too! it's ok for someone that knows NOTHING about martial arts or fighting.. be careful cause they'll claim that it's the "real H2H **** from pre ww2 used by the british commando's! you get the idea..go train at a MA school or boxing gym. you'll get more out of it. RBSD is second rate IMO

4. SteveBioletti

SteveBioletti Valued Member

I have seen most of the Carl Cestari DVD's and if your looking for some no nonsense self defence techniques they are very good, Carl Cestari sadly passed away last year I believe.

5. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

After 15 years of hard core jiu jitsu, I went to NJ for the seminars that became the Fairbairn and O'Neill seminar DVDs. I learned a lot about improving the delivery system I already had, plus a bunch of new nasty things to work with.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Cestari had some great stuff.

I prefer Paul Vunak myself though.

7. Kobela

Kobela New Member

Regarding the Cestari videos; this guy was THE MAN! Yep, you can get more complex and indulge yourself into thinking his stuff isn't for advanced practitioners but it's simplicity that wins the day. Pile on the stress of a REAL attack and those tricky little subtleties are worthless. Not convinced? Buy any of his (or Damian Ross') DVD's and I'll bet you buy more. I did. Tom Kobela

8. bios69

bios69 Valued Member

:)I have the seminar series and the core series.
    My expectations were very high because of a such a high reputation he got.
    In general, I think he deserved his reputation.
    The core serie is pretty short and let me not completely satisfied.
    The seminars series are excellent.
    I do not understand why all the time people must deliver a judgment consisting that watching a dvd isn't a way of improving your skills and chances in a survival encounter.
    I am bored of this.
    I studied wing tsun and did full contact kick boxing and when I have been envolved in a street fight I used the concepts I got from the books.
    Yes because it was some time ago and the dvds were rare.:)
    One time I even survived a multiple attack (no weapons involved) in a foreign countries and I applied some Bruce Lee concepts and tai chi deflecting parries and footwork (very basic) that I had never formally studied (and the attackers were 4 or 5 at least I didn't have time to count).
    What I studied did not help me in this case because I simply did not have time to thorow a strike.
    Concepts worked. From a simple books (for example one thing I applied and were well aware was that not to be with your back against a wall or obstacle not to be trapped).
    Back to videos, I suggest to have a look in senshido, some krav maga and grover stuff.
    I also like silat, it can teach a lot but they are like wing tsun: my dad (style) can beat yours (style).
    Same story, different actors.
    Staay cool,
    S.