Cardio & Running in particular..

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ThaiMantis, Jan 24, 2005.

1. ThaiMantis

ThaiMantis New Member

Can I ask people what kind of Cardio Vascular training we're doing outside of Martial Arts training? In particular, how important do you thing that kind of fitness and fitness training is to a Martial Artist?

How much running, distances, sessions per week, interval work, base cardio training etc are we doing, and do we think in an ideal world think we should be doing?

also cycling, rowing and other comparable activities?

I'd be very interested to know the attitudes to this across the world.

cheers.. :)

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

The heart is the engine of the body and should be treated with adequate respect. I don't believe in all the rubbish about it making you lose maximal strength, maybe if you were a marathon runner it would. I run a mile a day and do HIIT a few times a week to boot. Squat hasn't suffered.

People have such unhealthy hearts these days, isn't it the number 1 killer in america? Not standing for that!

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

I asked this question not long ago... why you want to do cardio?
    I got varied response to that... kind a good to know what people thinks..

I think Martial artists are more learned and eager to learn in terms of fitness than avg people... Ya I know, it sucks...
    I have this rule for better heart...
    10 sprints for 10 sec each... almost each day....
    -TkdWarrior-

4. MattN

MattN Valued Member

As far as I know, it's the same rule as weightlifting for MA

Intense short sets (or whatever they're called with cardio)

so..............tkd's idea sounds pretty good

5. RobotBuddha

RobotBuddha New Member

Actually now its cancer. But stroke and heart disease is second. Diabetes is up there too.

Eat more dietary fiber. Helps reduce cholesterol. Also less salt in diet. =)

6. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Eat more good fats. Less salts in diets may not do anything at all for most people. Only a few are sensitive to sodium (ie cause hypertension). I've heard from my RD nutrition prof that the FDA is planning to change the limitations on sodium intake.

And back on subject, you should be doing high intesity interval training. You shouldnt be having cardio sessions longer than 30 mins (be it running or whatever) or else your strength WILL suffer greatly due to muscle catabolism. Like Mav said, a mile or so can only help. Make sure to SPRINT, not run slowly.

I've heard cycling isnt a good idea for most athletes because your body gets accustomed to the movement.

7. Noib Da Mutt

Noib Da Mutt Banned Banned

um, I personally have to do cardio in order to even compete...

I do everything from sprints, to long-distance jogging, to jogging with sprint intervals, to stairs and stadiums, and swimming... also jumprope is good...

But to me sparring and pad work is the best cardio I get...

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

sprint up hills wearing back packs full of sand, that will make you into a man.

9. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

Padwork
    Stair climbs
    KBs & related work.

Went for a swim today, will be looking to add it in once-twice a week through the day if I can as I think swimming is one of the most under-rated forms of cardio.

We'll usually start our training sessions with a bit of cardio work to warm up as everyone is unfit and soft - after one 5min wrestle, we have people wanting to sit out...

We tend to have one hard rolling session once a week out of class, where we do 7-10min rounds, so it's quite likely you'll wrestle for 15-20mins straight.

One of my major goals at the moment is to get my fitness up for a couple of reasons: I'm fat and overweight (10kgs heavier than what I was a year ago :(), my body will have no choice but to lose the blubber to keep up with my work load! We've had a couple of big boys come to class, as big and as strong as you'll ever meet. I want to tap their juice asses... several times a wrestle!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  10. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Yep, swimming is great for you. You are boyant so your joints are protected.