Carb cutting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by M Lambert, Nov 1, 2006.

1. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

OK so Ive been looking at my diet recently, and I've worked out I really need to cut down on the carbs. Now the veggies etc arent overloading me and Im perfectly happy eating lotsa veggies and stuff (rack up over 8 portions a day so the 5-a-day thing is ok :) ). But its stuff like Bread, Pasta, Rice, Tortilla Wraps, Cereals, that I find difficult to substitute... exactly how do I have the equivalent to a chicken sandwhich / Stirfry veg with rice... without having loads of carbs... Ive tried skipping the carb stuff, but it sorta makes the base for the meal...

Any ideas? How do you guys do it?

A recent example of my diet incase anyone wishes to scrutinise:

Breakfast: Whey Shake, Poached Egg (2 whites 1 yolk) on 1 slice Brown Toast

Lunch: Grilled Pork and Salad in Tortilla Wraps (2 wraps)

Afternoon: Whey Shake, Fruit or Toast

Dinner: Stirfry Vegetable and Chicken with noodles (100g of Noodles), followed by either sweet fruit, toast and honey (notice the bread :(), or something else similar that will hit my sweet tooth.

2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Chicken/Salmon/beaf etc; salad/ boiled veg; with nuts/olive oil. Have your carbs around your exercise and decrease them gradually over a few weeks while increasing protein, fibre and fat.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=852155
    That might be good to read if you periodize your training in a similiar way.

Type low carb recipes in google.

3. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

You don't really have to have NO carbs. Two slices of bread is only around 30 grams of carbs which is nothing for an entire day.

Just substitute the carbs with more non-carb foods. For example I used to have scrambled egg (two eggs) with some toast. Now I have scrambled egg with 6 eggs (2 yolks 6 whites) just on it's own and it's actually less calories.

4. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

this low carb bs is getting out of control. once you stop eating " low carb" you'll usually put the wgt. back on plus more. balance out your diet and don't deprive yourself things you like just use moderation

5. M Lambert

OK so what is a decent guide for Carbs in a diet (grams not percent, im not mathematic enough for that please :p) ?

6. Xpose

Xpose Valued Member

i take in anywhere from 150-250g, though it may not be as high as your willing to go though. Most of my carbs dont come from breads or pasta, though on my distance running days couple hours before i go ill load up on carbs, like last night i have 1 chicken breast with 2 tortilla wraps and white rice with it.

Other than that i suggest either skipping the bread entirely or replace it with fruit

Breakfast: Whey Shake, Poached Egg (2 whites 1 yolk) <--no toast..the shake has plenty of carbs

Lunch: Grilled Pork and Salad <---whats wrong with just this, this is an execellent meal without the wraps

Afternoon: Whey Shake, Fruit

Dinner: Stirfry Vegetable and Chicken

If you really want to drop the pounds than suck it up and dont overeat on your last meal of the day. Low carb is tough and alot of people fail it within the first week, so overcome your weakness of food and stay focused

Eat to live, dont live to eat

Now if you want to go lower than my 150g than i suggest using water for your shakes and perhaps pick up some low carb proteins such as GROW! from t-nation and use it as a replacement meal. Other than that your diet looks really good just knock out the extra toast for every meal and replace it with fruit or veggies or a shake, just not with bread!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  7. M Lambert

I already use water in the shakes... 100 KCal for a drink is plenty for me without adding 400ml of milk to it. Oh and they have 0.2gm of Carb per 30g serving :) Pay the extra to avoid it, although if I cut the breads etc it may be ok to go to a cheaper (and higher carb) option.

OK Im gonna try and kill the bread... Im loading up on steamed veggies tonight instead of the normal bread/rice Id have with chicken... thanks for that advice :)

8. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

between 55-60%. grams that depends on how many calories you are taking in. go to a nutrional store an see if they have a book on diabetic break downs. this will help. it will show you how much cards, protein,and fats you should have according to the amount of calories you are taking in. example, this is just an examlpe, 2000kcal diet. 60% carbs, 25% protein, 15% fat. .60x2000kcal=1200 .25x2000kcal=500 .15x2000kcal=300 carbs) 1200divided by 12(grams in a serving)=100grams protein) 500 divided by 8=62.5grms fat) 300/ 9 =34grms. you can play with the % to adjust for you amout of activity you do. hope this helps.

9. M Lambert

Yeah... I aim for more protein though, lots of my diet is protein rich when I can make it like that... I think percentages would currently be... 50% 40% 10% in your order...

10. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

try it you have a good balnce there. keep a log 1 how do i feel tired,energized, 2 hows my wt. rapid lose, rapid gain, god results 3 apperance am i heading in the direction i want to. it all depends what you are going for. you can always play with the % to get the desired result.first and foremost you do not want to deprive your body. this is just an example you should consule a professional eg dr. if things get out of wack!

11. Xpose

Xpose Valued Member

www.fitday.com is a good site to help keep track of your calorie intake as well as carb, protein, fats and everything else you consume.

12. M Lambert

Well Im currently doing a 12 week diary to coincide with a new "oomph" on the weights and kicking off with the Protein shakes, so when I look back at the end of the period I'll see what happens... considering doing the "take a photo" technique to see whether I've achieved (partialy atleast) what I set out to.

13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

good luck and remmember it does'nt happen overnight so don't get frustrated kepp plugging away.