Carano vs. Rousey looks likely in December...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works

It's not her appearance they are worried about, or even injuries. It's her marketability.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

She doesn't need to win to be marketable in Hollywood. She just needs to be recognisable. That's why Carano might take the fight - she'll lose, but she'll get a big bump in her name recognition.

3. Combat Sports

As Rousey is also headed into Hollywood the kind of name recognition she is going to get by losing to Rousey would put her a step behind Rousey when it comes to what person they are going to go to to make movies.

Hollywood made "Haywire" with a lot of popular actors in it and Gina still did not become a household name. She did a Fast and Furious sequel and her last movie went straight to DVD. That's not a good sign. Action types can recover from that sort of movie but it's often a sign you are on your way out, or into B rating.

Ronda jumped right into Expendables 3. I heard she is working on other projects as well but I am not sure which.

I don't see any strategy where Gina has anything to gain by losing another fight in MMA.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The overwhelming - and I do mean OVERWHELMING - part of their training is Dands and Bethaks....and wrestling obviously!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1oVKNeknvA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1oVKNeknvA[/ame]

As an aside the diet was entirely vegetarian too

Even the "weights" aspect is range of motion movements

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1h8ANVCOs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ1h8ANVCOs[/ame]

Significantly the "weighted" versions with rings/sandbags etc. are still done for volume

My Sifu has travelled to the pits and trained with the Guru's and he said the regime was insane

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Carano is prettier than Rousey - that puts Carano WAY ahead in any Hollywood line. To believe that skill in MMA matters more than looks is to be deluded about the nature of Hollywood.
    You don't need to be making blockbusters to make millions in Hollywood.

What you don't understand is that it's not about winning or losing - it's about the weeks and the months of promotional work that that UFC will throw at this fight. Weeks and months of people saying Carano's name, talking about her on internet message boards, blogging about her, podcasting about her. It's all good publicity and it all makes her more marketable from a movie making point of view.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

It's both... heavy resistance is responsible for strength gains (more so than lighter, though both can make you stronger).

As a for instance... I read a study on push-ups vs. bench pressing:

The authors from McMaster University conducted a series of experiments that manipulated various resistance exercise variables (e.g., intensity, volume, and muscle time under tension). They found that high-intensity muscle contractions derived from lifting heavy loads were not the only drivers of exercise-induced muscle development. In resistance-trained young men a lower workout intensity and a higher volume of repetitions of resistance exercise, performed until failure, was equally effective in stimulating muscle proteins as a heavy workout intensity at lower repetition rates. An additional benefit of the low-intensity workout is that the higher repetitions required to achieve fatigue will also be beneficial for sustaining the muscle building response for days.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120426110252.htm

So working to failure is key much of the time, the load of weight itself may not matter as much... it just takes longer.

7. Saved_in_Blood

by MILES!!!

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Do you rate male athletes by how good looking they are too?

9. Saved_in_Blood

Not from the same stand point because men aren't my thing. However! I can look at certain guys and say yeah, this guy is good and looks like a good looking kid and that will help him a lot.

It's a sad thing in our society, but looks do indeed go a long way. Oscar was considered very goodlooking by most, Floyd seems like decent looking guy, St. Pierre would probably be considered good looking. It's not a MUST, but I do think it helps their career. As a for instance, look at Victor Ortiz.. doing underwear ads and all of that and he's a C+ fighter at best.

Also, you have the hardcore fans, the purists, and then the casual. The casual fan will say, "oh I want that one to win... he/she is hot"... the hardcore fan says "I want he/she to win because I hate the other person and want my favorite fighter to win everytime (like many of us). The purist says " I want to see the skill that he/she has or what they do in the ring, cage, etc tonight"

The casual and hardcore fans run the PPV sales and thus looks are going to be one of the first things promoters look for.

If you have any interest in racing (I grew up around it) then you would know that a man with the same talent level as Danica Patrick would not have lasted in Nascar for nearly as long... probably not even a full season, but because she's posing in maxim or here or there... it makes her more marketable.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Works,

Is the woman that gave Carano her defeat marketable?

And why not?

[​IMG]

11. Combat Sports

That's a fair point to raise, however I don't think Rousey is that far behind Gina in the looks category.

Stallone easily could of gotten Gina for Expendables III, he didn't. Gina's last project went straight to DVD.

12. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

You mean to say she's not quite delivering Emma Thompson grade performances? LOL.

Just giving you grief, there ;)

13. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

On her way out? As much as I like Gina Carano she was never on her way in with regards to acting. She has the acting ability of a rock. After her last movie I'd be surprised if she ever got cast again.

14. Combat Sports

The funny thing is, her acting is slowly and steadily improving. Some of her emotion in "In the blood" was good. But some of acting is always going to be about talent. Gina is not an extroverted person. The market on actors is very fickle.

15. Saved_in_Blood

As I've mentioned before... Timothy Bradley only eats a vegan diet during training for his fights. He claims he feels much better on it. I never tried it myself... I need chicken, steak, hamburgers, turkey, fish, etc to stay sane.

16. Saved_in_Blood

Carano can at least hold her head high... almost always there is a retired fighter who some other fighter or promoter tries to goad into a fight. The woman is out 5 years and they want her to jump right in with someone who fights 2-3 times a year.

Dana White at work yet again. Think of this scenario... Carano shocks the world and all of us and beats Rousey in convincing fashion... Gina then says "ok that's it for me" and rides off into the sunset at the best woman fighter to enter the cage. That would leave white with Rousey being the loser and suddenly her stock plummets and womens MMA as a whole becomes much less interesting to the public.

Rousey wins and it's "Carano has been out for 5 years, what did you expect"... or "now Rousey has to fight old retired fighters and is ducking ________ < fill in the blank with who you'd like.

The fight itself will make money yes, but does it actually wind up hurting Rousey win or lose?

17. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I disagree.

WMMA is more than Roussey. There is a whole new division (strawweight) being added in the UFC. Roussey won't be in that division.

The next TUF is all about that new division. Roussey isn't on the show- unless she makes a guest appearance.

Invicta has had tons of success, all without Roussey.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You and me both dude! That said I am considering going vegan for a few weeks just to see how it affects my energy levels

19. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

The weird thing I found wasn't the quantity of energy, it was the quality. Pretty much impossible to explain, but most noticeable when I did my stint of raw fruit and veg. Kind of felt buzzing but ungrounded. Odd.

20. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I don't know if a few weeks is enough to accurately judge the effects. I gave up wheat for some time to see how if affected my crohnes disease, and for the first few weeks my energy was shocking even after I got over the headaches that I got in the first week. It took about 3-4 weeks till my body got used to change in food, and while it didn't change my crohnes too much my energy levels were certainly different.

Whether it is the same going vegan, I don't know, but I would suggest giving it 2-3 months to decide if it is working.