Car trouble please help :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by dragon_bunny, Jan 20, 2005.

1. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

as much as i don't want to fall in to the cliche of i'm a girl i don't know about my car i think this time i do :)

I have a chip in the paint of my bonnet it's not very big but i can't afford to get it mended at the moment and it'll rust away. Is there anything i can get to cover the chip to protect the metal underneath? Trust me to chip the paint on one of the few parts of my car thats not plastic!! :)

Any advice would be welcome thank you :)

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Smear it with a thick layer of vaseline. It'll wash off after a while so you'll need to keep reapplying it. You could try covering it with a bit of clingfilm to stop the vaseline washing off as quickly, but I'm not sure how well the clingfilm will stay put. I'd beware of trying to stick anything over it as it might harm the surrounding paintwork. You might get away with something fairly light like sellotape. I'd wait for some more advice before you do that because someone will probably have a better idea! The vaseline will tide you over for now if it's raining, or just about to. Which in Warrington it probably is...

Good luck!

3. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Yeah I wouldn't use cellotape, it'll only make a water pool and rust the body. Go to an auto store (you'll have to find a local one yourself) and tell them what has happened. You can buy this stuff (I'm really sorry I can't remember the name of it but explain all this stuff to the guys in the shop and they should know what you're talking about) that kind of looks like a lipstick tube. You tell them the car model & year and they match up the colour exactly. Then you just rub it onto the chipped part of the paintwork and leave it - then buff & polish it down. Should only cost a few quid. Sorry I can't remeber what it's called.

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

its just a sloid paint stick. Good stuff, have used it myself many times. Do that, dont stick anything else on/over it. and vaseline would wash away very quick.

5. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

You can also go to the car dealer and get a small bottle of touch up paint that will match your paint exactly. It is not expensive and will match. It comes with a brush like you have in finger nail polish. Make sure you clean the area so there is no dirt or rust before you use it. I do this all the time for chips and scratches. Make sure not to put it on too thick. I showed a female friend how to do this and she said it was quite easy because it was like painting her fingernails. The wife however shows no interest in learning this as she has me to do it. One more thing I picked up, is if it’s a small scratch you can use a toothpick to apply the paint.

6. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Don't smear gunk on the hood or use tape. Get some touch up paint from the dealer or your auto parts store.

Clean and prep the area: use a solvent to clean the area, then a scotch brite pad to scuff the area, then the solvent again. Give it 10 minutes to dry and set, then paint the area. Use small amounts to keep it from running and keep it dry and clean for at least 2 hours.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  7. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Clear nail polish will seal it to keep it from water damage. Then later you can get touch up paint or just a regular repaint.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Yes, I think she wanted something to protect the exposed metal from the rain until she could afford to get a permanent repair done. Everyone is suggesting ways of doing a permanent repair, but not what she should do in the meantime. (Some of our American friends probably don't realise just how often it rains in NW England!)

Sandus - would the nail polish come off easily when the time comes?

9. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

thank you for the help but johnno's right i wanted just a temporary thing until it could get done properly.
    i'm useless at painting my nails and i don't really want to mess up my car so i'd rather have someone do it for me though the sloid paint thing sounds good. Isn't there a sealent or something? I remember when i little my mum had something she covered her scratches in - yes it runs in the family
    :p

10. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

A good nail polish remover will take it right off without bothering the paint.