[Capoeira] Yall Proably already know this.....

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by bunnyndallas, Aug 26, 2006.

1. bunnyndallas

bunnyndallas New Member

I finally saw Only The Strong, after i got over laughing at men wearing tighter pants then I own (i have leotards!) sorry but it is funny,

at the last fight, Mark D brings down the Brazilian with a spin kick, and lands nicely on both feet. Is that Capoeria or something else, i know hes got a lot more training then just Capoeria.

Just curious.

I love the movie btw! and I am glad I was only a mear child during the 80's. The hair is okay but the pants would make me crack up on a regular basis.

Im going to go watch it again!!!

2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Hey, Bunny!

Oh, man! My friends and I laugh so hard at the corniness of the movie. So much in-zanity, where do I begin?

Donovan is one of the 12 worst kids at that school?
    A supposed 'mestre' of Capoeira gets hit by, what, 3 chapa de costas in a row (via Silverio)?
    A group of high school kids learn enough Capoeira in a few weeks to take on armed, beefy thugs?!
    The young latino kid in the tight pants thinks that, after a few weeks of Capoeira, he's going to be able to take on his primo--who already put it on his teacher, Mr. Stevens?
    One night of training (for the Black kid) is supposed to be enough to help you beat a bully?
    One strike across the back with a berimbau is supposed to knock someone out?
    Worst Brazilian accents ever?!
    Donovan runs into a burning room to save a berimbau ???
    And that kick you're talking about, Bunny, I think Marconi couldn't have telegraphed it better ;) .
    Whew! There are others, but I'm off my soapbox, now. It is fun to laugh at and endearing in an 80s sort of way.

By the way, I think that the kick that you're talking about is called Mariposa in some schools of Regional. A Regionalista could tell you better about it, though, I'm sure.

I do like the film's opening and closing, though.

paz,

dormindo

3. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

I'm dying of laughter over here Dor. HAHAHAAHHA! Your assessment in spot on.

As for the kick that she's referring to, I'd have to pull out the DVD and watch it to refresh my memory. I might just watch it tonight. :)

..and yeah, the films opening and closing scenes were the best portions of the movie because it's the only time that real Capoeirista's were showcased in that film.

4. fogo

fogo Valued Member

well i think the movie was set in the 90s, hence the flattops and afrocentric black kids(i used to look like the main black kid in the early ninties, its sad i know) and mark ducascus is trained in every ecept capoeira until the movie came along, which is why hes so stiff and has no rythem, and of coars they only say its brazilian martial arts which ****es me off, no indepth history at all. so the only parts i watch is the first and last scene with the black dudes flippin and kickin ass, dreads all flyin in the air, thats probably why i got dreads.

5. bunnyndallas

bunnyndallas New Member

HA! Im not a loser for laughing my ass off!

I just wanna know where can a girl meet gentle men like the ones in the opening and closing scenes?

5'7 dark hair light eyes, funny in a sarcastic way, fluffy, must like kids, and dogs???????

HA and Im not sorry I kept picking on the skinny mexican in tight pants!

It was corny but it was a nice 80's movie, remember dont tell mom the babysitters dead? Goonies? TEEN WOLF!

6. Nockane

Nockane New Member

semi off topic,

Aparrently at the beginning of Meet the Fockers, Greg's (Gaylord) dad is doing capoeira. nothing else, this is just more FYI.

7. Martial_Mathers

He looked rather silly too. LOL!

The Capoeira in Catwoman was good.

8. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Hey, Teen Wolf was the movie back in the day. I guess that the best Capoeira I've seen in film recently was the scene in Ocean's 12. Catwoman was good, too, but I'm biased on that one because it's Halle Berry in a tight outfit .

Ah, well.

paz,

dormindo

9. fogo

fogo Valued Member

try harlem, africa, or any hood :D

and again only the strong was in 1993, and dont tell mom the babysitters dead was in 1991, but anyways ocean 12 scene i didnt like, i didnt think he did it well he should just stick to kickboxing, but the best capoeira ive seen was in tom-yum-goong or the protecter were my heterosexual boyfriend lateef crowder kickin @$$ with tony jaa.

10. Joyseau

Joyseau New Member

What about Lateef Crowder v. Tony Jaa in Tom Yum Goong? That's a nice bit o' capoeira.

11. Martial_Mathers

Fogo already mentioned that. :)

12. bunnyndallas

bunnyndallas New Member

Yes I and several of my lady friends do enjoy that scene quite a bit, nothing dirty, but we enjoy watching it over and over, hee hee hee they get all the wrong reasons as to why i enjoy capoeria.

But they all want to come to a roda now!

Kitty, and Bambi wanna go to the show next time too, yes we all have retarded nicknames, and not one of us looks like it, okay well maybe Kitty.

Kitty would also enjoy meeting Mr. Crowder lol

Fogo, hood rattas fear me, something about the way i walk. homie spices never really speak to me much. Actually a lot of Brothers dont speak to me, I guess Im not their flavor? LOL so im safe in Capoeria.

13. fogo

fogo Valued Member

hood rattas? homie spices? flavor ? lol lol :D were the hell did you get your slang from :D im crackin up

14. bunnyndallas

bunnyndallas New Member

I am old skool lol, my Girl Bambi and I come from the West Coast when we were little, and for our own personal amusement keep up the old slang.

But out here Hood Rattas still applies, hell I heard Ghetto Superstar the other day! I was rollen !

Watch out I will drop some other things later (once I remember them!)

Word!

15. fogo

fogo Valued Member

my two friends names are ian aka little bitch, and loyan aka dream killa, and then theres also gareth aka too cool for school, and all of there names mean something :D

16. bunnyndallas

bunnyndallas New Member

Well Kitty Bambi and Bunny have meaning and reason too,

Bambi is a hoodie from Alhambra (ghetto smurf ) , Kitty is a killer barbie from Army Brat hell, and well Bunny, i was raised on a farm and guess what my job was. (oh yah we didnt just skin them either)

And we are all built like brick **** houses, and are so sweet youll never feel the sting until your laying on the floor gasping for breath wondering what happened.

Huggies,
    Bunny

17. fogo

fogo Valued Member

eww. :eek:

18. bunnyndallas

bunnyndallas New Member

LOL Dont be scared! I have rough roots, but im a sweet little irish/hondo girl. I dont eat bunnies anymore, just veggies and a bit of moo every now and then.

My ambition is to be the only researchest or lawyer, to wear pink suits, have big boobs, and a personality like a cheerleader, all while im showing all those good ole boys in the criminal courts in FW and Dallas just what a little girl can do!

I love contridiction. (insert wicked smile here)

19. fogo

fogo Valued Member

OH MY GOD! thats my same goal too, how weird is that :eek:

20. bunnyndallas

bunnyndallas New Member

harder for you id bet you have to wear that gender bender ! ouch!