[Capoeira] Where the hell are you people???

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Martial_Mathers, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

This forum is so damn slow guys. :) We've got to attempt to post more, and keep a consistent flow of information. That is all!

Har!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Do you do capoeira?

3. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I notice the capoeira fourm always gets looked over. I guess maybe it's because a most of the guys here aren't too familiar with capoeira but there are some, just have to wait around for them to come on line I guess. I bearly go to the capoeira forum myself anymore aswell although I'm a big fan of it. I don't know much about it bout the little i do know I'll answer what I can or post when I can :confused:

4. Martial_Mathers

Absolutely..........to the death! Myself, along with a few others are constant contributers to this forum on nearly every thread. Are you currently training?

5. Melanie

Sorry LoneBencao, I looked at your profile but there was nothing on it so I didn't know what you did. I have since read your posts!

Sadly I am not training at the mo, keep myself fit at the gym though - I miss training terribly. I have been viewing this forum tonight and have found a few strong contributers, such as yourself. Lets hope it picks up eh?

Do you guys have special events that you appear at very often? I know that I have seen some capoeira at SENI in the past. Does it appear at the Olympics out of interest?

6. Martial_Mathers

Esta bem Melanie. :) It's good that you're keeping fit in the gym until you can return to training. How long, and with what grupo did you previously train?

As for special events, we have them pretty often. Sometimes we perform for schools, etc. etc., and we've also had our run in with MTV a few times. As of now, Capoeira is not in the Olympics (and I hope it never appears there either).

7. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Didn't some group try to turn Capoeira into a sport/competition (that could lead to it being an Olympic event) in the 70's and fail miserably?

8. Melanie

Ah...sadly its been a LONG time now since I trained properly but I will go back - its never too late to do MA now is it? :)

I formerly trained with Zoltan Dienes - Karate Jutsu at Sussex University though, he's still there... :)

9. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I would hate for capoeira to be in the olympics. look at the martial sports in there now- judo is only using half the techniques, tkd- well i dont need to say anything about that- boxing is slowly devolving into tag (plus its only amateurs... olympics is supposed to be the best of then best)

anyway back on topic- I got a nickname in capoiera the other day! the english translation is "flame" (I have a thing for clothes with fire designs... shirts, socks, even my shoes have a very cool flame design :D plus my spiky hair) but I forgot the brazilian word for it, I was pretty tired at the time. I think it was scilla? or shilla?

10. Martial_Mathers

More recently (sometime last year I believe), Capoeira was supposed to appear as a demo. I'm glad it didn't. See, my belief is (and it's more of a fact than just a belief) that American's tend to water down arts. Look at what happened to most of the Eastern arts. Look at what is happening to Capoeira. In Brazil, Capoeira is strong in all aspects..............fight, music, etc. American's need to train (regardless of the art) with the same vivaciousness, tenacity, etc. as people in the applicable homeland. Being in the Olympics will only serve to further reduce Capoeira's inherent nature. The Olympics would attempt to turn Capoeira into a win/lose competition, and that's not Capoeira. To be fair, there are/were competitions in Brazil. They are judged on music, interaction, etc. etc. Not on winner/loser! Many of the most famous/infamous mestres were in these competitions at some point or another.

It's never too late. If you're ever in California, look me up. I'll train with ya. :)

Well, flama is flame. Faisca is spark. I dunno which name you're referring too. When you remember, do let us know. :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

he might have meant spark- his english is better than my portugese, but not by much :D

12. Kosh

Kosh New Member

Spark (in portugese) is Eddy Gordos nickname...or at least its on his costume. Think its the name of one of Mestre Marcelos students.

I didnt get a nickname yet...they call me 540 but thats not my "official" nick yet.