[Capoeira] Need to prepare

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by B.Y.O.B., Mar 11, 2006.

1. B.Y.O.B.

B.Y.O.B. New Member

I'm interested in joining capoeira next year, so I want to prepare myself before joining a class. So can anyone give me any training tips to help me out?

Can anyone tell me how long would it take to learn the advances moves?

Anyone in this site is from NYC, can you tell me what gym you go to in the Bronx or Manhatten and how much you pay for the lesson?

2. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

How long it will take is unknown to us. Everybody operates on a different learning curve. Some people never learn advanced movements.

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Mestre Joao Grande has his Capoeira Angola Center there in Manhattan. He is a student of the legendary Mestre Pastinha, and a grand-mestre of the art in every sense. I can't remember his website address, but I'll post it when I have a chance tomorrow. A quick search on his name, though, should do the trick for you. I highly recommend his class. Also, if you're more into Capoeira Regional, Mestra Edna Lima is in the same building. There are others in NYC, of course, but those are two who are definitely in Manhattan. Good luck.

Ate mais,

dormindo

4. nenn

nenn I'M SPICY!

personally i train regional capoeira, with instructor mucuiu at the arte capoeira center, its tribeca area, ACE train to canal street (http://artecapoeira.com) great class, really friendly people, and an all around great atmosphere to learn and grow, each class is 15$ (and there are deals if you buy many classes at once). and the "advanced" moves, depends on your body type and youre dedication. good luck, also if youre looking for a more agressive class look up instructor furacao he teaches up in harlem.

5. mikkk

mikkk New Member

hmmm not sure

A couple of years until u r really good.
    But ive seen guys whoi kick ass after 6 month or less.
    It helps a lot if u additionally take gymnastics classes
    regs
    mikkk