Capoeira Kick

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Simon, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

It makes recovery easier in case of a sweep, as dormindo pointed out. I'm also going to disagree with him slightly, as I consistently found it easier to stay on balance with the hand on the ground version.

I actually had easier time learning the one hand version than the two handed one but that's neither here nor there.

Disadvantages? I'd like to refer you to the gif in post #9. :D

2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Probably not much of a disagreement as I think that there is a potential issue whether doing it with one hand or with none. When I wrote the earlier statement, though, I was expressly thinking of things like tombo de ladeira that are easily done to someone in the hand down position but not to someone standing and using no hands (though the standing person is very vulnerable to a rasteira).

3. Rand86

Just so I'm clear on this once and for all, this:

[​IMG]

is tombo da ladeira, right?

4. dormindo

Uh-oh, we're back to the inconsistent terminology thing again. That is actually a tombo da ladeira, but I also thought that standing up under a spinning attack in order to topple the attacker was also referred to as such. Lastly (and I could be wrong here), I thought contemporaneas called the movement where you unbalance someone in mid meia lua de compasso by pressing their head down while simultaneously rolling their hips over (essentially putting the person into an unintended forward roll) tombo da ladeira.

5. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

Thanks for the info, neat stuff! I know so little about capoeira except what little exposure I had to it from the general media or just bits from friends that have shown me things, so it's wonderful to see threads like this. The videos make a lot more sense now for the times that I thought a kick would connect but it was then pulled back.

Thinking back at the times I've seen roda, which were usually at anime conventions, none of them had the rhythm or context that you've described between the people involved.

That video you just put up, "jogo malandro", I must say that it's impressive it doesn't go full speed after the first couple connecting attacks!

6. Rand86

Right, the next time I try to sort out the terminology I'll punch myself in the face first. ;)

I think the gif and the first one you're describing are similar enough that they can be conceivably considered the same technique. The second one... I know I saw it but I have no idea what it's called. And with my instructor's great head for names, I don't think he'll be much help. :whistle:

At least I was correct in my guesstimation. :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  7. dormindo

Yep. Speaking of gifs, when I look at that first one you posted I keep hearing 'flawless victory!'.

Were there any meia lua combos that were prevalent at your academy? Common counters to mldc?

8. Jagunco

Jagunco New Member

We normally call it mea luna de compasso

But as stated the names depends a lot on the mestre and would only be standardized after mass hypnosis

9. Jagunco

Jagunco New Member

Whoops missed out about three pages :)

Capoeira seems to have went the same way as Inosantos eskrima (I think it was him...) Where he had numbered over 300 stick strikes. And it turned out that it was about two degrees difference in a lot of them.

This compared to the knife strike angles of the British armed forces in WWII, of which there were 5 and I hear they just put a union jack on a picture of a nazi to practice.

I'm pleased to say I do Reigonal and not contempory capoeira basically cos it seems a lot less trouble remembering three names for each technique.

Also I got to answer my mates about the kicks that don't seem to want to connect. In my school that doesn't happen but you get a lot of the acrobatic schools who like to jump about and generally look impressive. It near impossible in my humble opinion to jump in the air, spin abut three times and then control the force you deliver with a kick even if the other bloke was surprised enough to stay in the same position for it to connect.

In Traditional Reigonal and I think Angolan capoeira (I think) you generally don't lose contact with the ground. Or I was told this and discovered two pictrues of mestres Bimba and Pastinia using jumping kicks... so I'm confused basically

10. Rand86

In my experience ALL contemporanea groups say they do "traditional regional". :p

11. Jagunco

Jagunco New Member

Lol yeah mate I know what you mean, though there are a few groups who are honest about saying they do contemporary

I'm pretty sure my style is reigonal though :) my current affiliation is to Filhos De Bimba who's mestre is a stickley for such things

12. dormindo

Aerial kicks are occasionally seen in capoeira angola--but they are fairly rare. Also, aerial or jumping kicks and other attacks (I once saw Mestre Cobrinha apply a flying tesoura to a member of my grupo) are not formally taught (at least not in my experience) and just seem to develop organically for individual players over the years of their experience. I myself have given the odd leaping Chapa de Frente (Bencao) or two in order to cover distance. I've never formally practiced chapa in that fashion but, in the heat of the moment, I just did the jumping version as needed.

That's the way I've typically seen such kicks develop in angola, though your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  13. Rand86

The bog-standard rasteiras, bandas, and vingativas mostly. Oh, and martelo no chao from decida basica:

[​IMG]

My personal favorites are tesoura de mao (where you duck, grab the ankle of the standing leg with one hand, block the thigh with the forearm of the other, and pull) and the thing where you loop your arm around the kicking leg and run around the kicker, spinning them to the floor.

"Favorite" should be read as distinct from "best". :D

I also like the one where you duck "the wrong way" (i. e. against the kick) and counter with a mldc of your own. This one has a distinct advantage of being pretty intuitive, especially if you naturally fumble the direction of your dodges as I'm wont to do. :whistle: