Capoeira Kick

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Simon, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I was training this kick in class today. Can anyone tell me what it's called?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjtK43u7HHU"]Brutal Knockout - Capoeira kick ( Brazil ) MMA. - YouTube[/ame]

Without putting the hand on the floor it'd just be a spinning hook kick, but I'm sure you Capoeira guys have a specific name for it.

I found that a follow up roundhouse style kick with the same leg was a good follow up. Do you guys have something that works better?

2. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Depends. I learned it as "meia lua presa" (fast half-moon or somesuch) and "rabo de arraia" (stingray tail).

For the record, the no-hands version is called "meia lua solta" or "chibata" (whip). :D

3. Rand86

Also, re: specific names, every group has different names for stuff, and the names of stuff within the group are prone to changing depending on the sea tides, phases of the moon, or what the head honcho of a given group had for breakfast that day.

Basically, at random.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. Simon

Thank you.

I've always loved the hook kick. It's powerful enough without the spin, but I was surprised just how powerful the Capoeira version is.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Not the hands down variety but a couple of nice ones at the start of this vid around the 10-15 second mark, plus lots of fun ending in a hook kick a couple of times at 1.30 - 1.50ish. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpHK7k_d2DE"]Warren Vice British Championships 2012 Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

Mitch

6. Rand86

I don't know who was more confused, the poor sod on the receiving end or me. :D

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Rand's got it. In angola, it is typically rabo de arraia. Follow ups are countless and depends on whether you connect with the rabo de arraia and what the other person does. In our group, we practice follow up attacks and various evasions (high, low and inverted) from that movement. A martelo (roundhouse) is just one. Headbutts, sweeps or various other strikes are possible.

8. dormindo

Just some examples (done at a much slower pace than in your clip, Simon): in the following clip you see at about 16-17 seconds in a rabo de arraia followed by dropping into queda de rin and tesoura (showing what could become a scissor leg takedown if carried full out--which is infrequently done in friendly rodas); at about 1:02 you see one followed by au (cartwheel) in order to avoid a sweep. That's just two possibilities.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gmW3YLC9l8"]Jogo entre André Nascimento e o Contra-Mestre Pepeu, filho do Mestre Moraes-GCAP - YouTube[/ame]

In the following video, you see the kick used quite a bit with a variety of follow ups that include methods of pressing the attack as well as evading and moving away from or around the other player.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucmjK1Y8QkY"]Roda capoeira Rabo de Arraia (16/10/2008) - YouTube[/ame]

Just thought that maybe some visual examples might be of use. Hope it isn't too far from the context in which you see it.

9. Rand86

Aaaaand just because I think it's funny (in an admittedly cringeworthy way):

[​IMG]

10. Simon

I'm not a Capoeiraist :dunno: but if I get the chance I'll video myself doing the kick.

It'll probably be cringeworthy and funny.

11. Rand86

I doubt it'll be much worse than what I see in class on a weekly basis. :D

12. dormindo

^^^What Rand said. Believe you me, some of the people in class look pretty bad doing it at times--and I'm not even talking about the newbies. This reminds me, I need to start a thread on sporadic capoeira students.;)

13. dormindo

Oh, and after the holidays/new year I'll have to start video-ing some stuff so that I can get one of those fancy vlogger tags. I imagine my other stuff on here is far too old to qualify.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Do it. We had a thread in the TKD section where loads of MAPer's showed their version of the pattern "Choong Moo" that I thought was great.
    I love seeing other MAPers and what they can do.
    I could never really "get" the Capoeira "hands down" version but rated my spin hook kick in my TKD days. :)

15. Simon

I'll definately do it.

I've been meaning to start a technique thread for two years.

Video a technique, we critique it and when done someone else posts a video. Any technique and any style.

I'll use this kick to start off the thread.

Right now my hamstrings are real tight, so I may not get to video the kick in tonight's class, but I'll get it done in the next 2 weeks.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Man...I did some dynamic stretching on Sunday...front/side/back. Just a few swings to warm. Hamstrings now feel like someone is sticking knives in them. :(

17. Simon

I did the 50 kick challenge and the capoeira kick.

Let's face it, we're not young anymore. :cry:

18. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Nice to see a capoeira thread!

Isn't the kick just meia lua de compasso but with one hand?

I found this short video on youtube, the same kick (I think, I can never see techniques) used in the roda, the ring, the cage, resulting in some KOs or being used as a set up for other techniques.

Great one at about 2:10.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEiaP_tJZKM"]MLDC (I'm not writing that whole name again)[/ame]

19. Rand86

Some groups don't distinguish between the two-handed and one-handed version but most do.

Just accept that capoeira terminology is a freaking mess and roll with it. Being able to do is more important than knowing the name.

At least that's what my instructor tells me; drives me nuts as I like to know names for things. :D

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah, I think we call it "MLDC but with one hand on the ground", and "MLDC but you don't put any hands on the ground so you're not touching anything".

Works for me.

Trust me to take up two martial arts that can't agree on the names for anything!