[Capoeira] Is capoeira useful in a fight?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jaded, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Mjelva

Mjelva Banned Banned

I'm glad that you're enjoying your training.

Frankly, none of the capoeira I've seen has included use of the hands or elbows at all.
    To answer your question, many styles include all those types of attacks. What really sets the effective apart from the ineffective is how it's trained.
    If you train capoeira with contact, you can make it work. Same goes for any other style.

2. Martial_Mathers

Martial_Mathers Capoeirista

That is mostly attributed to the fact that there are rules of conduct within the roda. Those types of attacks are considered disrespectful in cooperative games. In most occasions, you won't see those movements used in our rodas either, but we do train the movements, use contact pads, partners, etc. Our higher cords play aggressively at times, but newer Capoeiristas don't.

3. Hyena

Hyena New Member

Only two things about Capoeira are effective. First, the mentality brought to the game by Maestre Bimba- i.e. Run away and hit them from behind in the parking lot. Second, the conditioning. Past that, it is about as street effective as trying to Chi Blast your opponant.

4. voodue

voodue Valued Member

hahaha! You ARE funny! I'm laughing just like a Hyena. :eek:

5. Hyena

Hyena New Member

Are you saying that Capoeira is effective in a street fighting situation, where your life might be at stake?

6. Martial_Mathers

I will pose a more effective question. What about Capoeira makes you believe that it isn't street effective? What would an art need to be considered street effective in your "not so humble/not so knowledgeable" opinion? Those questions were posed out of a sincere interest as to your experience within the art of Capoeira.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  7. fogo

fogo Valued Member

im a hood rat so im in alot of situations were ive used capoeira in the streets and those damn kicks work, i mean it really just depends on the person and how he uses the style that makes it affective, hell i might use a ginga i might not, i might just stand there and do a mea lua to your head without going through all the motions and still take you down, again it all depends on the fighter.

ps. ive also fought other styles including muey thai and capoeira still works :cool:

8. Hyena

Hyena New Member

I agree with your approach, using other arts to supliment your capoeira training, and I agree that the kicks work. The only problem is that some people might get the idea that they should fight on the street the same way that they should in the joda. Too much unecesary motion could tire you quickly, so it is best to try and simplify if you want to go to the street.

As for my experience, I have been learning for two years from a good friend who has a history of capoeira instruction.

9. voodue

voodue Valued Member

Now I understand why you think you know about capoeira. Two years is a baby in terms of capoeira knowledge. It takes 4 years to do a good au! Capoeira is a slow art to learn for self defense because you have so much more to learn besides self defense. If you just concentrated on self defense and nothing else like the roda and music then you could be ready to fight in 1 year.

I still do not understand how people can accept other striking arts but not capoeira. It's like you are saying all striking arts are not effective. What makes capoeira so different than MT or Karate techniques? Please tell me! I thought a punch was a punch and a kick a kick. Guess I live in a different world from everyone else.

10. Martial_Mathers

Too much unnecessary movement? How much time have you spent in the roda playing aggressive games? Have you not built up the stamina/endurance to maintain constant movement without tiring quickly? If not, you need to play more................talk less. On the street, an experienced Capoeirista will simplify his/her attacks/defenses. Why you're assuming otherwise is beyond me.

Like Voo stated, two years in Capoeira is nothing. It takes a few years to truly learn yourself, and hardwire Capoeira into your brain. By hardwire, I mean the ability to react without thinking.

11. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Two years of Capoeira, learned from who? A good friend who has a history of Capoeira instruction, not a mestre, contramestre, or even someone who has dedicated a significant of the length and breadth of their life to Capoeira. Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have an expert!

You know, I'm not here to prove the yay or nay of Capoeira in a street fight; I just wish that people would realize that there is so much more to whatever it is that they are learning in a mere two years from the friend of a friend. As the old folk say, "Just keep livin'".

I'm getting too old for this. I'm going to go start training with the guy who keeps broken glass on hand to deal with Capoeiristas and bjj guys ;) .

Boa tarde,

dormindo

12. Shen Yin

Shen Yin Sanda/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

This is very true.

13. Moridin

Moridin New Member

I pity the fool

I pity the fool that will draw conclusions on anything that he does not know or understand. Whoever feels spoken to should feel spoken to. All others will understand me.

There is soooo much more to Capoeira than the funky dance/music thing.

I have never ever in my life practised Capoeira, but i did take the time to investigate it. Ask people stuff, besides sitting behind my PC. Read books. Goo watch. Martial artists should not be afraid to investigate a little every now and then. There are these things like books, schools and teachers or even websites.

Not saying that you should or not actually go see or try an art. But that can help as well. (but it is not the only way to gain info)

Anyway, I'm not gonna try and convince anyone about my little opinion and why i am right. But there is a huge and interesting history to Capoeira. Trust me it is so very interesting!

HOW did it start or WHERE did it come from? WHAT was the first PURPOSE? WHY was it FORBIDDEN and associated with criminals later on?
    Which impact has politics and racism have on it today?
    What is a "Malandro" or "Malandragem"?
    What about the coconuts or gourds? The razor blades? The "Saints"?

Even if you are too lazy to visit a book store or visit Capoeira schools. or ask some people face to face questions..... (brrr,scary!) ....you are on the Internet baby.

Go figure what stuff you can do on the Internet besides debating a subject you don't really know that much about. This goes for any martial art you wanna talk about. Do your homework, don't make a fool of yourself.

14. fogo

fogo Valued Member

in your faces :woo:

15. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

capoeira is just as effective in a fight as anything else being used. it may look kinda "girlly" because of the dance movements being used, but better to be made fun of because you kicked some guys ass using dance movements, than to be beaten up because of knowing martial arts.

16. tankboy

tankboy New Member

to train to fight

to train to fight, you need to:

• do heavy bag work to develop power
    • do mitt work to develop speed and accuracy
    • do your drills at full speed and power (where the other guy is really trying to take your head off)(once you have practiced at slower speed, obviously)
    • spar hard - aggressively and with full contact (animal day) - not every session, but regularly

if you are doing these you are learning to fight. Anything else you are doing (e.g. kata) may be good conditioning but so are the above, so you are just making the art longer to learn - why waste time?

(this is for striking techniques, i dont know much about grappling, sorry. Presumably tho the full speed and power thing still applies)

my background: 10years of karate, then 2months of muay thai in thailand where i figured out the above.

Nowadays I do capoeira and parkour (google it) (also i surf) precisely because i never fight, (i am a lover not a fighter :)), training to fight makes me feel inadequate (there is always someone tougher :cry: ) , and really i enjoy the gymnastic side much more (I love doing flips and handstands :D ). In other words, I choose not to do any of the above because I dont enjoy it that much and dont feel the need to learn to fight. 31 years old and never had more than a couple of scuffles, why start now? Fighting hurts, and is downright dangerous. Flipping is fun.

But I have no disrespect for people who are doing the above - good luck to them. I just think a lot of martial artists who are not doing the above but think they are learning to fight are deluding themselves a tad.

To reiterate: if you do the above you are training to fight. If not you are spending time doing what is probably good conditioning, but you could be doing the above. ("style" is largely irrelevant, its all fighting - you just need to think about how much of the above your style does).

That said, someone in good condition is always going to be at an advantage just becuase they are in shape.

One last point: people who start fights LIKE to fight, thats why they are starting the fight. People who like doing something are usually better at it than people who don't like doing it. You need to train to beat someone who enjoys fighting and enjoys hurting people. I stopped training to fight because I realised i really DIDNT want to hurt the other guy - this made me less aggressive in the ring. So I stopped learning to fight, and I have never regretted it. (tho i will eat these words if i get beaten up next week.... :eek: )

Just my tuppence worth, thanks for reading.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  17. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'tankboy' and All,

Very good point.

I have a slightly different viewpoint - I train so I won't have to fight however I train so I can win...

I'll try and explain...

Suppose there is a spider in your bath.

You can run away.
    You can scream for help.
    You can gently pick it up and take it to a place of safety.
    You can squish it.

At no point did you consider FIGHTING with the spider.

That's the way I see a potential attacker. Mind you after 36 years of training I still figure the best way is to 'not go into the bathroom' - in other words try and avoid obviously dangerous situations WHEN possible.

All the best.

Robert.

18. MagikMike05

MagikMike05 New Member

i cant see capoiera working, then again i basically have no knowledge of it, other then watching really acrobatic things like that. i think capoiera is the martial art that requires the most strength and endurance, i'd be exhausted doing that stuff.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

keep on digging mike, i dont think EVERYONE here realises how much crap you talk yet. it isnt even worth trying to explain how capoiera works to someone who has never done it- even moreso than other arts because there is a huge amount that goes on that nobody sees or understands until they actually do it.

20. Tri

Tri New Member

Amen!