[Capoeira] Is capoeira useful in a fight?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Jaded, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Jaded

Jaded New Member

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

extremely cool, cant wait to see this movie

3. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Cool video, but that is not an MT fighter.

4. pete_e

pete_e New Member

The title page said it was Tony Jaa. If so, he's definitely a Muay Thai guy...

5. Gray

Gray New Member

Actually, a lot of his stuff is gymnastics, taekwondo, etc etc etc...

Nothing of that fight was strikingly muay thai.

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I'd sleep with either of them. That was cool.

7. pete_e

pete_e New Member

I don't know enough about Muay Thai to comment - but I'm pretty certain he comes from a traditional MT background - doesn't he?

Very cool clip BTW - if Ong Bak's anything to go by the film should be awesome!

8. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

Incredibly low budget and bad movie. Good fight scenes is about all there is. The plot sucks, no developed characters, poor lighting in many scenes, all Tony Jaa does is break arms in half the fights. Sometimes its just the same thing over and over. I would say if you are going to see this, try not to pay for it.

9. Jaded

Jaded New Member

My understanding is does train MT but also things like Wushu and in his fight scenes he says he does whatever he thinks looks cool.

And Clem, does Lateef show up in any more scenes? He was awesome, I loved how cocky he was. He'd make a great reocurring villian throughout the movie.

10. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

Well, that was visually wonderful, but I don't think validates Capoeira as a fighting style and more and Crouching Tiger validates Kung fu.

--
    Everytime someone starts a "usefulness of capoeira" thread, god kills a kitten.

11. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Tony Jaa does Muay Thai Boran mainly, but adds a lot of flashy gymnastics and TKD and crap into it to make it more appealing.

Muay Thai Boran is to modern Muay Thai

as Jujutsu is to Judo

Muay Thai and Muay Thai Boran are completely different animals, and most MT guys would claim that MTB sucks.

12. CrazyMoonwalker

CrazyMoonwalker Dancing with the devil

I think that clip actually shows that it isnt, as soon as Tony jaa figures the other guy out (and it would take about 15 seconds in a real situation) he takes him down fairly easily. Capoeira is best left for the dance floor

13. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Best left to the dance? tell that to the slaves that used capoeira to escape enslavement.

14. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

These things are relative. Capoeira was likely a useful skillset against those untrained in MA, and not expecting it - And I'm sure is just as useful in such situations today.

From what I understand, Capoeira was developed in an environment where there were many constraints upon training. With that in mind, it makes sense that it would be at a disadvantage against an art that developed without those contstraints.

Also, I think it's both unfair and unrealistic to judge capoerira strictly on it's martial value...

15. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I think that Tony Jaa's movements were supposed to be emphasizing Capoeira as well. Just look at the way he evades the other guys kicks, or when he was fighting on the floor.

I personally think it would've been cooler if they had choreographed as a "Muay Thai vs Copoeira" fight rather than a "Capoeira vs. Capoeira" fight (kind of like the "Muay Thai vs. Tae Kwon Do" fight in the first movie). But hey, it was still pretty cool to watch.

16. Gray

Gray New Member

Yeah, he does. But a lot of those moves weren't Muay Thai.

17. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I haven't trained in Muay Thai, but I've seen Muay Thai. From what I seen in the video showed some muay thai in the beginning, namely the kicking. Then (2 mins. 23 secs into the video) he starts to act like the capoeirista after the capoeirista taunted him.

18. Fighter4Higher

Fighter4Higher Dark man of the unknown

You gotta love the music man! Great clip in my opinion, The capoeria fighter did well and fought like I would have expected. SOMEHOW Tony Jaa manages to figure him out and beat him at his own game however. So much for not boxing a boxer..

19. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Is it wrong I rooted for the bad guy?? I was hoping he'd just straight arm Jaa to the groin after doing that one handed bicycle type kick to his head.

20. RR1

RR1 Man Who Would Be Pharoh

Nah I was rootin for him too :D
    Great clip though music was awesome.
    and im not going to dwell on wether it was traditional MT or not.
    who cares? its a movie enjoy it for wats its worth :D