[Capoeira] Gave it a shot

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Choices, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Choices

Choices New Member

so i was doing kung fu, but found my teacher was lacking quite somewhat considering we hardly ever did stretching, which is kinda basic i guess.

So i was looking for something, some martial arts that could kinda capture me well. And suddenly on youtube, i came across this video, which im sure most of you know already ( [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwbuDYcrUOo"]Capoeira Sul da Bahia - YouTube[/ame] ), and yeah of course it totaly got me. And before i knew it I was on my way to find a Capoeira teacher near here. And sure enough found it, and i can honestly say this is truly a style to my heart.

As a student of Cultural Anthropology, i can really appreciate the culture that is behind, and in, Capoeira. As well as some of its history (or that what is known to me).

Anyway, the thing that struck me most, was the warmth of it all. The atmosphere is just awesome, really awesome. Of course it's the people that set the mood, but further then that, the music does too, allot. Which is played of course non-stop during training. You really go home with a huge smile, still with the tune stuck inside your head and you don't mind it one bit. It's great!

Just wanted to share it with yall, i had my second lesson this week. And my friend who practices Ninjutsu says that; Once you go ninja, you never go back, i'll bet the same is true of capoeira.

Cheers people, this stuff is just awesome.

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

because a teacher didnt do stretches you left!?!?!?!?!

:eek: :Alien:

3. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Maybe he considers stretches to be very important? :D

4. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

That's cool you found something you like and fits in well with you.

Personally, I've always stretched on my own, it's common sense...

5. Choices

Choices New Member

Haha.. I see you would trust a kung fu teacher whom has never mentioned the importance of stretching (and thus becoming agile), nor ever mentions his students to do it.

I'm sorry, but common sense or not, i see this as a flaw. There are other reasons aswell, but didnt think they would be so important to anyone considering this is a topic and forum about capoeira. Not about kung fu and why i quit, it was meant as an example.

Anyway, nice mood your trying to set here, sgt_major. Have a good evening.

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

i'm not sure what you mean, The video is cool, and Ive a lot of respect for Capoeira, but I was caught off guard by the fact you left an art simply because they didnt stretch. I'm not trying to be funny, or offensive.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Glad you've found an art you like! I do capoeira and ninjutsu and think your friend's statement applies equally to both arts!