[Capoeira] Capoeira on National Geographic

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by LabanB, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi All,

If you are in the UK, and can get National Geopgraphic Channel, their "Deadly Arts" series will be about Capoeira this coming Friday at 10pm. The series also looks at Muay Thai (5th March), Karate (19th March), Savate (26th March), Kalaripayattu (2nd April), and Aikido (9th April).

Bill

2. M3inline6

M3inline6 Valued Member

I'm in Cali, so I hope they show the program here.

*edit: I checked the website, and couldn't find anything about it. Do you have any links?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  3. xConorx

xConorx New Member

4. M3inline6

M3inline6 Valued Member

5. Baqueta

Baqueta New Member

Yeah, I live in California too. Dammit.

I'll probably be able to get it off the internet eventually though. hehe.

6. M3inline6

M3inline6 Valued Member

And when you do, share.....!!! :D

7. planetcapoeira

planetcapoeira New Member

ABout the Deadly Arts series..

This was originally made for Canadian TV -I think there version of the History channel, or the Discovery channel. It ran in Canada about two months ago, and I had a friend who taped it and sent it to me.

The capoeira piece was pretty good - it's essentially about this French-canadian martial artist, and she travels to Bahia to learn more about capoeira and train in it a little. The first part has Mestre Accordeon showing her around Salvador, and the poor parts of the city, and seeing where and how capoeira comes from this vibrant energy of the poor and oppressed there. It was really cool. And then they go to the beach and they do a little capoeira training. She's the typical asian martial art stylist who can't grasp the ginga movement (really funny, but we've all seen it before, and we've all probably been there before as well:)..A funny moment happens when she asks Mestre ACcordeon "I know capoeira is full of trickery, can you show me some." And M. Accordeon gets all serious and says, "No Josette, I will not show you these things, you must understand the fundamentals." And they go back to drilling the basic ginga, and then he stops and points over her shoulder, she turns around and looks and *wham* he whips out a rasteira and knocks her to the ground, and he just smiles. It was awesome! And in this all serious voiceover in this outrageous french-canadian accent she says "I have just learned about trickery in capoeira. My first lesson - fair play is dictated by context"..too funny...but cool observation..

The 2nd part of the show has here explore the Capoeira Angola side in Bahia, and she trains with Mestre Jogo de Dentro, and spends time as well with Mestre Joao Pequeno - all good stuff...she also visits a berimbau maker and another mestre who teaches capoeira for street children...

Overall a good show about capoeira and the culture of it. Not so good at showing it as a fighting martial art, but you can't have everything :)

8. M3inline6

M3inline6 Valued Member

Great overview bro. I was picturing the whole thing in my head as I read it.......especially that rasteira. lmao! Hopefully one of you intuitive members will find it online and let those of us know who unable to watch it on TV. Good times! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2004
  9. deeaimond

deeaimond New Member

so has anybody managed to get this video off the internet yet?? its sounds incredibly interesting..

10. smak

smak Valued Member+

11. smak

smak Valued Member+

gotit!

kay, i called in a favour and have the show.. capoeira version and aikido.

problem is, its on vhs. can anyone convert this to a dvd or giant mpeg? i'd be willing to mail it out.

12. M3inline6

M3inline6 Valued Member

Awesome! Now for the conversion. I'd even be willing to receive a VHS copy.

13. Corny

Corny New Member

so...no one that can put the movie on a cd?? :cry:

14. deeaimond

deeaimond New Member

i'm not sure where u are.. so i dunno how it works.. but here in singapore u just take it to a store and they convert it for a fee.. if you want u can mail it out to me... although i think that'll be a little crazy... maybe u can find somewhere near you that has that service...

15. JamesyBHOY

JamesyBHOY New Member

I taped it too & upped it to my PC, It's fairly large around 800mb's but if enough people want it then I will be willing to put it up to FTP for a week or two.

16. Corny

Corny New Member

YES!

put it up there and give us the address!! ASAP

nasty things could happen otherwise, let me try to explain:
    :cool: ---> :mad: ---> :bang: ---> :p ---> :yeleyes: ---> :woo: ---> :eek: ---> :cry: ---> :Angel:

the story goes: you try to act all cool and stuff, being the one who has the video, that ****es us off so much we start banging our heads against the wall! you think its fun and shows us your tounge and that is friggin it! now its time to show our evil side! BLAM BLAM!! and you get all surprised and starts to cry like a baby just before you turn into an angel and goes up to God!

get the point...?

17. deeaimond

deeaimond New Member

i want it too!!
    pretty pls!!

18. Sramanera

Sramanera Valued Member

me too, me too!!
    and if anyone has any of the others that will go nicely with my collection :)

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Just a gentle reminder about COPYRIGHT guys :rolleyes:

20. Corny

Corny New Member

Ive always considered that as more of a guideline then an actual rule :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.