[Capoeira] Capoeira + Contact = Yohan Likes

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Yohan, May 13, 2008.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not sure if this has been mentioned but one thing I've noticed from my (admittedly very short) exposure to Capoeira is that the sort of game you see displayed to the public is different to the sort of game you can see in class.
    For the public the emphasis seems to be on putting on a good show, displaying flow and dynamism. No one really gets swept, butted or kicked.
    However, a couple of times I've seen the instructors start an impromptu game during the class where those things are very much in evidence.
    The game tends to be a little more serious (but still played with the sense of fun). People get swept, knocked over, kicked etc.
    The game still flows but that's because the instructors are adept at recovering when knocked over or kicked rather than because they are allowing each other to flow.
    It's still Capoeira but has a different vibe to it.

2. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

This is true to my experience. Also, I tend to think of things having a high turnover rate in general, capoeira being no exception these days. Starting a family--with all the time that said family consumes--can certainly be a reason to stop, though I know of many who haven't missed a beat because of it, and some women who have trained while pregnant.

paz,

dormindo

3. capoeiragreen

capoeiragreen Valued Member

Playing pregent???:confused:...just kidding:) But there are some people who have so much passion for capoeira that they would be doing things like that. One of my classmates were playing and she was in her second trimester. It was the contra-mestre who told her to stop because he was worried for the baby. Just think about what would happen if a meia lua would come right at the stomach:eek:!

4. WindyPhilosoph

WindyPhilosoph WHOOSH!!! ...that is all.

I think the funniest instance of contact capoeira was in my old class with my teacher Dylan. He was leading the drums, and energy levels were high. Everybody got kind of exited, things got kinda out of control, and one of my classmates took a martello to the chest. Without a shirt on. The way he got hit looked so painful, especially seeing the sweat fly off his chest like an old martial arts movie or Rocky getting his face bashed.