Can't punch can't fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Humblebee, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i have to say after i did kung fu for two years, my punching ability was average. after a couple of months of muay thai it had improved hugely. its all in the method, and a lot of karate/kung fu schools just dont use good methods for punching.

2. samharber

samharber New Member

If you've never been punched, or never punched another person, then you can't fight. If you've never been put into that state of shock, then it doesn't matter how good your mat skills are.
    Its like all the people who claim that groin shots are fight enders because its worked on them in the dojo. Until you've done something in a high stress environment, you don't know how you'd react.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

No he's not. He's a blue belt isn't he?

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

While on the one hand, you should never pay much attention to anything the RBSD crowd have to say- ever- the guy has a point.
    Punching is a very basic skill. For controlling the range between you and your opponent, and ultimately setting up and executing a powerful technique, you need to be able to punch.
    Not only that, you need to be able to do so whilst maintaining a good stance, without telegraphing the technique, etc. etc.

5. Freeform

I wouldn't lump Mo Teague in with RBSD, even though that is what he trains. There is a difference there.

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

well after 2 years of kungfu in my school my punching had improved hugely, from barely any punching skills. In fact, after about 2 years, I went to a boxing club for a few months (stopped because of a car accident) and they complemented me on my hand work - adjustments were made on my stance if anything as I didn't use kicks in the ring for boxing.

You could say that those first 2 years were a good grounding for you - how are people's punching skills after 2 years of muay thai compared to yours after you had been there a month?

so you did kungfu for 2 years? in how many different schools? and that classes it as 'a lot of schools'?
    I've seen SanDa and SanShou fights, and there have occasionally been thai boxers entered into that, and the kungfu practitioners have had better hand work, but I wouldn't class that as 'a lot of thai boxing schools are not as good at hand work'.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Fair enough. If a guy does actually do a real style like BJJ or muay thai, I'll listen to what he has to say.

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Mo does talk in my view a lot of sence as he calls stuff how it really is. He is not afraid of saying the truth and does not avoid calling into question peoples abilities.

Something that certain people at the seminar needed to have done. These were in many cases Dan grade people, not just yellow belts.

9. So he is! I stand corrected :eek:

Doesn't alter any of the points I raised, though (you were still right :() lol

I just got the impression from some of his quotes eg: "when one of my students reaches blue belt level..." - can you teach up to your own level in BJJ? :confused:

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

one school, but every kung fu and karate school i have seen trained in the same manner. lots of air punching, little bagwork. I don't usuallly lump san shou kung fu in with them just like how I dont lump kyokushin and its offshoots with most karate styles, because they actually train to fight.

11. INTERNAL BOXING

INTERNAL BOXING Banned Banned

What about standing joint locks such as chin na finger locks and wrist locks. That's what most cops use and It works for them, they would get in tomuch trouble if they punched everyone in the face they had to arrest.

12. Freeform

Well, you can teach everything that you know ;) But I believe only BBs can award a belt.

But your points were all valid ;)

13. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Blue belts can teach but not award the grade, many teach though.

As for the police wrist locks they do these because they are not supposed to hit people so that is a pretty mute point.