Can't punch can't fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Humblebee, Jan 30, 2005.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

no but he would have a better chance.

2. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Erm... no, I'm still putting my money on the "he would get nailed" horse.

3. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Maybe in theory, he would have a slightly better chance, but it wouldn't make a difference to the outcome of the fight. He would still lose.

4. holyheadjch

ok ok enough of the semantics, if there were only 3 guys

5. Timmy Boy

No, it really wouldn't. You're talking a 6 (including you) to 1 numbers advantage, it's not like your mates all need to be Wanderlei Silva.

3 guys or 300 guys, it's still a pasting. You just can't concentrate when there's multiple attackers. 2 attackers I certainly wouldn't count my chances but maybe there could be some slight chance of hitting both then running away with a LOT of luck on my side, but any more than that and I want some of whatever you've been smoking.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  6. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I still don't think it would make a significant difference. There are other things a judoka could do, that would be just as effective as punches. He wouldn't need to grab one guy and go to the ground so the others could beat him up.

7. holyheadjch

5 of my mates vs Wanderlei Silva?

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

now that i wanna see.

9. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Unless your mates are stupid/have physical disabilities/are dead, then they should be able to take him.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Wanderlia Silva? i don't know. well....yeah you are right.

11. holyheadjch

assuming the three guys you were facing weren't huge, its totally possible as long as you make the first attack. Punch the biggest guy in the nose, hard, he's not gonna get straight back up, then if you can connect with another guy straight away before he's able to react. Now the third guy probably isn't gonna want to hang around anyway after you've dropped two of his mates,

12. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

They'd have to pile on him straight away though, there'd be no room for second thoughts and hesitations

13. Timmy Boy

No, I mean you said "well it depends on which mates they were" as if it would make a difference. If there was 5 of them and they all attacked together, they'd maul him even if he was someone really big and hard.

14. Timmy Boy

That's the only way multiple attackers ever lose fights, at least from what I've seen. And whether they do that or not doesn't depend on whether you can punch or not.

15. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

What if you punch the big guy, then the other two attack you straight away?

What if you hit the big guy and he doesn't go down?

What if you hit the first and second, the the third pulls out a weapon?

There are way too many variables. It is defiantely not going to go according to plan.

16. holyheadjch

What if you punch the big guy, then the other two attack you straight away?

Never seen that happen, theres always a moment of hesitation

What if you hit the big guy and he doesn't go down?

He's got a very hard nose and I'd need to rethink whether or not to hang around

What if you hit the first and second, the the third pulls out a weapon?

Depends on the weapon, small knife - no problem, big knife - slight problem, gun - ****ing pants level of problem

I've never actually fought a three on one, but I have fought in a 5 on 2 and won, would I have fought given the option? no, would I like to re-enact that experience? no, would I have even contemplated fighting had I been unable to punch? hell no

17. Timmy Boy

No there isn't.

Oh, so now we're talking one hit knockdowns!

How about, any bladed weapon = ****ing pants level of a problem?

Were the attackers all of comparable size to you and did they all attack at once?

18. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

First of all, any knife = Big problem, let alone, with another two guys there aswell. Never say "there's always..." because there is never "always" especially when dealing with more than one attacker. And like I said, there are other ways to cause damage other than punching. An absolute certainty is that "Can't punch, can't fight" is not the way it is.

19. holyheadjch

If you hit someone in the nose hard, the very least you'll do is stun them, make their eyes water, they might as well be unconscious.

As for bladed weapons, as long as you maintain a distance they aren't hard to handle, I'm more confident defending against a pen knife than I am against a baseball bat.

As for the 5 guys, they were about the same size as me, slightly smaller than the guy I was with. Did they attack together? The 3 guys that weren't already being dealt with by my mate did, but they rushed in without thinking how best to use their numbers, 2 of the guys ran over to attack my mate who was throttling one of theirs, leaving one for me to deal with, which took the length of time it took for my knee to collide with his groin. The other two guys were dealt with in a similar fashion.

20. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

So you didn't punch them? And i know from experience, that a hit to the nose doesn't always have much of an effect. If someone comes at you with the intent of stabbing you with any knife, then you are not going to come away un hurt, unless you have super powers. Maintaining a distance is not that easy, especially when you have two other people to deal with.