Can't punch can't fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Humblebee, Jan 30, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

2 hands
    2 elbows
    2 knees
    2 legs

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Mo Teague isn't talking about MMA, he's talking about actual fighting, because otherwise it would have been very easy to say 'Judoka, they dont punch'

3. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

1 head
    2 shoulders
    10 fingers
    2 feet

4. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

as your SOLE means of fighting, is it safe? absolutely not but i'm talking about 1 on 1. for multiple attackers. improvise or run.

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Judoka would still be very effective people on the street.

6. holyheadjch

not if they didn't punch every once and a while

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

haha, thats funny.

i suppose i should have said the 8 solid striking tools that petrude directly from your torso.

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I'll give you that. but i'd much rather take a punch from some random jock as opposed to a throw from a trained judo practioner onto the pavement.

9. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

hm... ok, that works. I still think the head and shoulders should be added...

I see what your saying about grappling and such, and the sentence we are using "If you can't punch, you can't fight." is extremly undescriptive. Lets pretend someone didnt have arms. He cant punch. Can he fight? Yeah. What about kicking? What about flying ninja head butts of doom? So hm.. tough desicion... I think the correct sentence, imo, would be "If you can't punch, on average, you'll have a hard time fighting."

Does that work?

10. holyheadjch

agreed

but if five of my mates are standing behind me as I get thrown, the Judoka better learn how to punch

11. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

It's utter rubbish. It's a complete exaggeration.

12. holyheadjch

whats utter rubbish? whats a complete exaggeration?

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well.....ok, that kinda works. well, no not really. if he has no arms he can't grapple either. atleast not efficently. and "if you can't punch, on average you'll have a hard time fighting." that applies to normal untrained, noncreative random people, but MAist, no. i've been in plety of street and schoolyard confrontations. and the thing thats saved my ass almost everytime has been my fast reactions and a quick straight knee to the face.
    that, a standing armbar or running. :)

14. Timmy Boy

The idea that you can't fight at all if you can't punch.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

agreed.

16. holyheadjch

going back to what he said, it is possible to fight without being able to punch, but doing so would be foolhardy.

17. Timmy Boy

Yeah, because if he knew how to punch, he'd just knock all 6 of you out wouldn't he!

18. holyheadjch

well that depends on which 5 mates I had with me, and how well he punches.

19. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

There's no way someone could take on 5 guys just because he knew how to punch. At least, he wouldn't have any more of a chance than a good judoka.

20. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

AHA. intelligent life.