Can't punch can't fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Humblebee, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

Mo Teague who is one of the most respected reality practitioners in the UK was interviewed in Combat magazine Feb 2005.
    This is just one of the things he said,''At the end of the day it doesn't matter what style you practice if you can't punch you can't fight.''
    What do people think, is it true,what do grapplers and internal MAists think
    what do you think do you agree with Mo.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  2. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Broadly, I'd agree with him...

... but it has to depend on how you define "fight".

However, for outside-of-dojo capability, I think every martial artist would benefit strongly from learning the basics of boxing or similar.

3. INTERNAL BOXING

INTERNAL BOXING Banned Banned

Huh so if I tackle you and break your neck with a can opener that means I can't fight?

If I do judo and throw you on your head that means I can't fight?

I do thai boxing and break your leg that means I can't fight?

sounds dumb to me I've seen a bunch of prides and ufc's were one guy beat the other with out throwing a single punch. Mo Teague doesn't know what he's talking about.

4. Humblebee

These are all the questions that come into my mind too that's why i posted this to see what you all think.
    PS The only thing i dissagree with you on is that Mo Teague doesn't know what he's talking about.The guy's an expert in reality fighting.

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I fully agree with you, this guy dosen't sound too bright. my punching ability is average at best. But i am a God on the ground. so Guess what. you take a stance, and i'm gonna SIT DOWN AND WAIT!!!!

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

lol Mo Teague doesn't know what he's talking about. Lol, I think its slightly more possible, just ever so slightly that you are the one who doesn't know what he's talking about.

7. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

If by "can't punch/can't fight" he really means "if you haven't got hands/you can't fight", then he's sorta right. You can't fight WELL without hands, or expect to win very often, but what about chops, or backfists or hammerfists, or spearhands, or any one of dozens of kicks? It's really easy to fight without knowing how to punch.

8. Humblebee

At present Mo Teague is an instructor under Grand master Richard Bustillo
    at the IMB academy in LA,he's also under Rick Faye,Minnesota Kali group,a full Sambo coach a blue belt in BJJ and a senior coach for the British Combat Association with Geoff Thompson and Peter Consterdine.
    So whether you agree or not his credentials are pretty impressive.

9. Humblebee

I didn't want to say it.
    :D

10. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Yes you did. You're just being polite. ;)

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

come on now, you people are fairly intelligent, think about it. Punching is certainly not a nessecary aspect of combat. its the same concept as i've stated athousand times.
    top MMA fighters will beat hell out of any boxers. why? becuase of VARIETY. punching is certainly useful. but not vital.

12. Humblebee

top MMA fighters will beat hell out of any boxers. why? becuase of VARIETY. punching is certainly useful. but not vital.[/QUOTE]

In the ring or on the street?

13. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Of course you can fight even if you suck at punching, but punching is probably the important thing to train in for "the street". Most attackers aren't going to do 720 jumping hook kicks, they are going to punch you.

Guess what genius, top MMA fighters train to box, too. Name a top MMA fighter who's never trained to punch or defend against punches.

Who has a better chance in a street fight, a boxer or someone who does sparring without headshots (trying not to mention any styles here ;))? I'd put my money on the boxer.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ok, its seems clear to me that you guys havn't had your head kicked in nearly enough. Why is punching important? Grappling is great in one on one situations, I accept it, I love it, its saved my butt many times. But the thing is, how often are street fights one on one? In my experience, not very often. I consider myself lucky if I end up with only two guys looking to polish concrete with my face. Which is where the 'I dont need to punch cos I can grapple' argument falls on its face because you cant grapple with three or four or five people at the same time.
    The only chance you have in those situations is to hit as many people as hard as you can in an attempt to make things that bit more even. Failing that you turn tail and run.
    Of course any of you planning on proving me wrong should first go outside find a group of shifty looking guys and ask them to kick your ass, then you can stand there and see how long you last without throwing a punch.
    I'll be sure to send some grapes to your hospital bed.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

yes, i know most MMA fighters train boxing, and which is great, but its to be coupled with the other skills, kicking, grappling, takedowns, ect. and as far as the boxer or the non headshots sparring guy. you're damn right, the boxer, but find me a MMA club that isn't a mcdojo that dosen't allow head shots. Learning to DEFEND against punches is a definate MUST but learing to deliver punches. not vital at all.

16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

in the CAGE. or the street.
    God, somebody find Ikken, he'll back me up on this.

17. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

tekkengod,

MMA happens in the ring, too. ;)

Oh and apparently Ikken agress with me. When asked who would concern him most on the street between a boxer and a thai boxer, he said:
    Anyways, I'm not saying boxing is all you need. However, I think good punching and a good clinch game are the best things to have on the street (aside from a weapon, friends, or a good pair of running shoes).

18. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Why?

Honestly, in my opinion, grappling is one of the styles i hardly use in fights. Maybe in UFC or "I'm the next big headed realistic fighter" bouts, but it just hasnt come through that much for me... All of my fights have been me vs more than 2, and grappling was extremely uneffective. Yeah, grappling is great, dont get me wrong, ive used it to stop fights before they happen, but when the poo hits the fan, its almost useless.

I would much rather be an expert striker than an expert ground fighter. ALthough the art i take now has a perfect balance, im not good enough to be able to face mulitple attackers while breaking arms at the same time.

So yeah, i think i would KIND of agree on the comment of , if you cant punch, u cant fight. Although it is possible, its not safe to rely on ground work as your sole means of fighting.

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i know it happens in the ring, i was rambling and trying to get the point across that i was talking about MMA rules.

the point that i'm making is that this guy saying "can't punch can't fight" is a totally nonsensical statement. One on one. unarmed. on the street or cage or ring or mat or whatever the location and surface may be. punching is one of the many tools available, and when matched against a person who is proficent in the other 2 ranges of combat and utilizes all 8 limbs and the boxer stares him in the eye and says "can't punch? can't fight" theres a very good chance that he will have just spoken his last 4 words.

20. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise