cant get rid of this bad habit

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by MindTricks, Dec 3, 2013.

1. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

most of the time when sparring or doing pad work i look at my leg when preforming any type of kick . This makes them very slow, stiff and predictable not to mention i get very distracted by doing this... feels like dont trust my self and need to look if im kicking correctly... i have been doing MT for almost a year now and my technique is pretty good and i know exactly what to do there's definitely no need for that at all.

i was just wondering if any one here had same problem when they started MT and may be able to help me out.

cheers

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Has anyone else noticed your habit? Trying to get an idea of how pronounced it is (maybe not as bad as you think).

3. Kru Jose'

Kru Jose' New Member

I used to have the same problem. I always use to check to see if I was using correct technique. One thing you is to keep good eye contact with your partner, this will help on focusing on what your need to do and trust that the correct technique is there. Your trainers will let your know if you have proper form.

It takes around 21 days to break a bad habit. Try it out see if it works.

Hope this helps.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have a problem with wanting to look my sparring partner in the eyes, instead of the chest. Of course, when I do this, I don't see their kicks in time.

It is slowly getting better. I just basically have to remind myself "oh yeah, look in the chest, look in the chest, look in the chest."

5. MindTricks

MindTricks Valued Member

thx guys, i worked on it, cleared my head and doing much better now. After my first interclub 2 weeks ago training got much better my head is more clear and it gave me good confidence boost. Feeling more relaxed and confident when i am training.

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

The longer you train in MA the more aware of your own body in space you will likely become. If you struggle with any additional habits like this, I recommend trying to practice your form in the mirror watching yourself through your reflection. That should help you at keeping your spine and neck straight while still being able to watch your form.

Glad you're doing better at it now though. :)