Can't figure out why

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Today is one of those days where I just can't figure out why, 30 years ago, I decided to switch careers from auto mechanic....to Information Technology.

Been a typical Monday so far...

2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I wonder how long before auto mechanic requires a level of IT to deal with the AI side of it :D

3. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

There have been days when I haven’t opened my (ridiculously expensive) tool box and just spent all day on the laptop diagnosing faults or updating vehicle software.

axelb likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Been wondering that myself :)

5. Xue Sheng

Sadly, IT is everywhere and I know computers are MUCH more a part of Car repair now than they were in my time in the business. Heck, when I started we were still rebuilding things; master cylinders, wheel cylinders, calipers, engines, transmissions, etc....and I still have my ridiculously expensive tool box....however I doubt it is as expensive as your is....I left the business many years ago.

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I often have to explain to customers that they’re now essentially driving a laptop and much of what they’re asking the car to do (throttle, steering angle etc) is merely a request that the vehicle then reviews and give you what it thinks is the best option.
    We do still strip some stuff down , though not as much as we used to.
    Don’t worry about the price of your box , if you bought quality it’s still quality and worth money , just look at snap on tools on eBay.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

IT is a mandatory subject and part of the core skills for learning the trade.

Although to be fair in Scotland if you're learning anything then IT and numeracy are a part of the course.

8. Xue Sheng

Yes, linkages seem to be a thing of the past...it is all computer controlled. The last shop I working in was Volkswagen, Jeep, Renault. And I think it was Volkswagen that decided it was better to replace hte 25 cent four way relay with a $150 brain...I saw where the whole thing was going then.

axelb and bassai like this.