Canelo vs Lara 2014-07-12

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Zinowor, May 27, 2014.

1. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Just today I learned this fight was going to take place and I'm really excited to see this fight. Almost more excited for this than I am for the World Cup lol

Canelo is coming off a win over Alfredo Angulo and Lara is coming off a win over Austin Trout. Which is funny, because Canelo beat Trout before and Lara beat Angulo before.

Both Canelo and Lara beat their last opponents soundly, so this fight is going to be very interesting. It's no secret I'm a big fan of Canelo, yet I did predict Mayweather was going to win. This time though, I'm fully expecting Canelo to beat Lara.

I've seen Lara fight against Angulo and against Trout and watched bits of his other fights. I probably don't have the most accurate opinion of him, but I believe I understand the general outline of Lara as a fighter. People make the comparisons with Mayweather and use that as an argument for why Lara will beat Canelo too. However I personally think they're very different fighters.

They're both slick counter punchers yes, but Mayweather's defense is better than Lara's. Let's get that out of the way right now. Mayweather would never get knocked down (twice) by someone like Angulo or pretty much anyone else for that matter, so that's one thing where they're not equal. Another thing is style. Lara is a very clean fighter from what I've seen. Mayweather however, neutralizes his opponents completely and tends to fight on the edge of what is allowed by the ref. I haven't seen that from Lara. He did not shut down Angulo, he just kept whacking him with counter lefts until Angulo quit.

So I don't expect to see a similar fight to Canelo vs Mayweather.

If Lara is not able to neutralize Canelo, he is in for a lot of trouble. Canelo's chin is crazy, so he can't do the same to him like he did to Angulo and Canelo also has much better defense. If Lara wants to beat Canelo, he's going to have to jab all night and run away before Canelo can plant his feet. If he continuously stops momentarily like he did against Angulo, I really think Canelo is going to knock him out.

However, my opinion of Lara is incomplete and I've seen that some of the mappers here think highly of Lara, so I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say. Don't hold back!

2. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Lara isn't nearly the fighter that Floyd is. He's very good, but not great. Still... it's a dangerous fight for Alvarez either way so it's good he's taking on more top guys now instead of WW's that have had to move up.

3. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

True. I do think Lara has the tools to make it a difficult fight for Alvarez, but he's not on the same level as Mayweather.

A hit and run tactic is probably Lara's best bet. A little bit like Whitaker vs Chavez.

4. Saved_in_Blood

I think a big issue is the level of experience. I don't know Canelo's amateur background, but I do know Lara has had some 300 or 400 fights before turning pro. Of course sometimes that works against a fight since he can be shopworn after just a few pro fights with all of the amateur fights under his belt.

I think it will have some good back and forth action, with each guy having his moments, but I really don't know who I would pick. I get a feeling about Lara, so I think I'd give him the slight edge toward winning.. but not by much.

5. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

This is the defining moment for Alvarez though. If he actually manages to win, he'll gain tremendous respect as a boxer.

For Lara though, this is his big opportunity to become a big name in the boxing game, but only if he wins of course. It won't be easy however, because the judges are most likely on Canelo's side and knocking Canelo out is probably out of the question. He's gonna have to school Canelo to win the fight.

Canelo needs to win big as well to garner in more respect as a boxer. Many people still feel he is overhyped (and he is), so his redeeming qualities and potential is overlooked which is a shame. Winning decisively against Lara by a well earned decision win, or dare I say it a KO, will garner in a lot of respect by true boxing fans that aren't on his side.

There is a lot at stake in this fight for both fighters and I'm crazy excited to see it. I almost want to sleep until just before the fight, because I can't handle waiting!!! 45 days is TOO LONG :cry:

6. Saved_in_Blood

Well Canelo is still a kid, but he's got decent head movement, pretty solid fundamentals overall, and good power. Lara has the experience, good movement, and is a sneaky counterpuncher who also has good power. It will be interesting to see. I do look forward to it as well.

Yes, a win for either guy could be a career defining fight.

7. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I think it a Maystake to analyise Canelo's performance against Mayweather as a predicative blueprint for how he will do/perform against Laura. - Either to detract or stack in favour of Alvarez.

These guys at this level general don't fight in the same manner with each fighter - they analyse each opponent's strengths/weaknesses and put together a plan accordingly.

Canelo won't handle Laura ( or be handled by Laura ) in the same way he was handled ( attempted to handle ) by Mayweather.

I think Alvarez will perform much better ( note: I did not say win ) - I think Alvarez was intimidated the minute he walked into the ring and that stiffened him up for the Mayweather fight - he would've still lost, but he'd performed better. Might've even managed to touch Floyd, who knows?

But looking forward to the Alvarez/Laura fight, also.

8. Saved_in_Blood

I think being in the ring with Floyd taught him a lot tbh and we'll see if he has change anything from that fight.

9. belltoller

Yep...I recall we did a big thread on just this topic - back right before Canelo had his showdown with Floyd and the topic as to what extent Alvarez would learn/bounce back from what we all knew would be a hiding from Floyd.

This fight will go a long way to answer those questions.

As I like Alvarez, I hope he does a decent job- not expecting him to route Laura, but I'm hoping he holds his own well and shows the ability to adjust his style/shore up his weaknesses/find a new opening.

That is what will potentially set him apart from the masses that hover just below the top 4 or 5.

He will still have his work cut out for him, but this ability to adjust is a must for one to move on the the greats, as we've discussed.

10. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I think that if Canelo can't overcome Lara, his path to greatness might become too far out of reach. He probably knows it as well, since he went against the wishes of his promoters to make this fight happen.

In this fight, we will truly see if he became a better boxer since his fight with Trout.

Lara really is a skillful boxer, much smoother than Trout. His output isn't as much as Trout however, so Canelo can probably do his thing a bit more as Lara will probably put Canelo's skill to the test directly without trying to suppress him.

I'm going to watch all of Lara's important fights and rewatch some of Canelo's and then I'm going to try and make a prediction. Should be fun. :D

11. Saved_in_Blood

Hard to say at his age if we could judge how far he will go later. If a guy is young enough, he can break bad habits that someone older has a harder time doing. Again, if he loses the fight, it might simply be based on his lack of the experience that Lara has a lot of. With the same level of experience, would we even be wondering who would win? Maybe, maybe not.

12. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Lara has a lot more amateur experience, Canelo has more professional experience. Lara has no experience with a fight of this magnitude though. So experience wise, they probably are somewhat equal. So I don't think experience is going to be the deciding factor in this fight.

It's really just down to skill, athletic ability and that special something.

And their game plans, very much their game plans.

13. belltoller

You were reading my thoughts. LOL.

Yeah, it'll be fun both to watch (hopefully) and our armchair analysis beforehand.

I'm doing the same.

Wonder how close we'll come to nailing it? 3 active boxing forum members account for ......xxxx....xt.... 29 opinions on how it will go down, lol

14. belltoller

Did anyone see this last evening?

15. Saved_in_Blood

I didn't. Only so many PPV's I can afford. I've read about it, so I do know what happened.

16. belltoller

From what I've heard, this is one I'm glad I didn't buy the PPV. Canelo was said to be frustrated much of the evening by Lara's evasive tactics and Lara, according to a few insider thoughts, “was more on his bicycle than demonstrating quality ring generalship” *

* Jeffrey Freeman, www.KODigest.TV

17. Saved_in_Blood

This is sort of what I heard, though max boxing had it scored
    114-114
    and from what I read, it was pretty competitive. I'd rather see the fight before I hear he was just running. Mexican fighters are not much for using their legs. They like to stand and fight which is ok if you have good head movement, etc. but staying away and engaging when the time is right IMO is a better way to go about things.

18. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I watched it and I think Lara won!
    In the first 3 rounds he made Canelo look really bad. The guy was hitting the air.

Then Canelo did a little better getting some low blows in, but nothing much.
    From the 6-7th round Canelo was hitting Lara more, again almost only blows and Lara seemed a little vulnerable. I was getting the impression that Canelo might turn things around because Lara had stopped using his feet and was getting hit in the stomach more consistently.
    Again the most clear shots were delivered by Lara, but Canelo seemed in command for those 2-3 rounds. In these rounds he also hit Lara with a good uppercut using the exact faint he used against the match with Angulo. He raised his right hand at his right and then hit Lara with the left. Lara's eye had a cut after this.

When the fight reached the final 3 rounds it seemed that Lara had to step up his game once again in order to win. And so he did!
    He won clearly the last 2 rounds of the match, with the last round being the most action packed for both boxers.

Since Saturday I didn't read even one article saying that Canelo really won.
    People say either that Lara was robbed or that he should have beaten him more decisively because Canelo is so popular.

I just wonder for how long Canelo is gonna make money pretending the new hope of boxing.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  19. Saved_in_Blood

I didn't feel Canelo's comment of "i'll give him a rematch when he learns how to box" was a very wise one. Floyd could have said a whole lot worse about him. While I have not seen the fight to say honestly one way or the other. People said Lara ran or whatever and maybe it was running and not boxing and moving, but Lara has proven himself against Williams (TOTOALLY robbed) and against Angulo (even if Angulo did manage to knock him down twice IIRC), Canelo beat Angulo, but he lost to Floyd, pretty much just about every round and had a pretty close fight vs. Trout, the rest of his fights were LWW or WW that had to come up to fight him... that's what much of Canelo's resume consists of.

20. belltoller

Ja, the Cuban style of boxing - they are quick, without a doubt. The best strategy seems going to the body as much and as hard as one is able in an effort to slow 'em down. I think the criticism towards Lara was he spent too much time on the 'not getting hit' part and not enough on the other.

Impossible to really say without seeing it. You ask 5 people who's seen it and you 2/3 or 3/2, depending on how the wind is blowing that moment.