Canadian silat training inquiry

Discussion in 'Silat' started by chenstyle44, Jun 22, 2004.

1. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

Hi Y'all,
    Im interested in training in Silat of some sort. I live in Calgary, Alberta.
    If there are any silat practitioners that have any info on training opps please let me know.
    sincerely,
    Gordon
    :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  2. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

Peace to all,

Dear chenstyle44,

I hope this help;

PERKASA c/o:
    Paatje Richard Kudding
    248 Silver Creek Way N.W.
    Calgary, Alberta.
    T3B 4H5 Canada.
    Email: rkudding@shaw.ca

peace

3. nightspeace

nightspeace New Member

This looks like an old tread. Are there any new Silat instructors in Calgary? I am currently looking to continue my Silat training in Calgary.

Thanks,

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

No, but I know a really fantastic JKD instructor..........

5. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Richard Kudding is a great instructor I believe. Although it's officially Kuntao Macan he does and not Silat. I used to train kuntao (they call it kempo over here) from the same branch.

6. nightspeace

nightspeace New Member

Does he still teach? Does he run a school in Calgary?

7. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Hi nightspeace, i saw this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrveWsXYFgM"]Paatje Richard Kudding 1988 - YouTube[/ame]

There a calgary school was mentioned, but this video is old, so don't know if it's still there.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

LOL, my Sifu is Patje Kudding's son-in-law. Does this mean you'll take me seriously in Silat discussions now?

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As far as I can tell the school has closed - certainly none of my contacts have heard of it recently.

Anyway, about those JKD classes............

10. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

I take everyone seriously. well...almost everyone ;) Just kidding.

So you train Kuntao? The kuntao of Richard Kudding is very silat like. I witnessed a demonstration a couple of years back by Philip Davies, one of his main students. It was a nice demo.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I would suggest it's more Indo flavoured than it used to be. These days I practice CLF, but I still practice the forms that Patje Kudding learned from Hoang Nam, and a lot of the self defence orientated stuff that my Sifu first taught me came from Patje Kidding.

12. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Paatje Kudding's initial knowledge is based on a kuntao/pukulan style from Pak Faulhaber. I know he also trained with the teacher you mentioned but that came later once he migrated from Holland to Canada. Actually looking for the roots of this system got me into pukulan :)

Paatje Kudding is an indo, as well as Pak Faulhaber was, actually 90% of the knowledge in Holland on Silat and Kuntao comes from indo's.

I never really gotten into the pure chinese styles even though i was fascinated by the stories behind it.