Can You Think Too Much?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by TheBorderer, Aug 24, 2003.

1. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Hi Folks

Guess this is quite a good question in a phillosophy thread! Bascially as it says in the subject. I mean I know we all need to thnk at times, be it organise something, do some kind of work (maths, writing an essay etc...), but is there the point of thinking too much? The reason I ask is well, online speaking to a freind and he has said(more than once) that I can 'think too much' and that is a 'bad' thing. While I've not taken that badly and gone "YOUR WRONG" etc etc *rant rant*, I do acknowledge he has a point, however, I think that the way I am just makes me that way so I'll maybe 'think more' than most!

For here for instance, I probably think too much! I see all the posts on this forum some, I do really find interesting and thinking "oh I could say so and so" but then either forgetting, or going "nah, that's been said before, I can't bring anything new", or typing the post going "I hope I don't offend anyone" etc etc. Of course folk can say "but that's lack of conviction"/"being stilly" etc than "thinking too much". I know even know this sounds like I am rambleing at points (but that's me! ;)), but I'm just 'thinking' on this and but I guess I just want to see what you folks think(argh! See there's that word again! :D)

Maybe 'thinking' too much is bad in MA terms as you may concentrate too much and not get a move right as you tense up at the wrong moment and don't complete the move correctly because you are not relaxed, I know that I've been told that many a time by my instructor and others while I in TKD training... but also outside of it in life too.

Be interesting to see what you folks come up with as ever. :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  2. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I get told I think too much. Where MA is concerned that is probably true, as I tend to think rather than react, and when sparing, you don't have time to think.

3. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

You think too much when it interferes with your productivity - i.e. it hinders it rather than improves it.

4. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

IMHO yes, sometimes

Sometimes students try to do techniques by thinking out every part of it & doing each part correctly. This quite often creates problems rather than solves them as you can only focus on one part at a time. Better to just clear the mind and just do it as one whole technique letting improvement come w/ practice IMO.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  5. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Thinking too much is a problem many people have nowadays always thinking i could have done this or that what if? etc this is the way all these so called psychics make there money they plant an idea in somebodys head and they end thinking about it so much that it rules the decisions they make on a sub concious level which isn't good and can lead to silly things.

6. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Nice post Borderer. I like MA because I cant think too much while I'm doing it. Like Bon said when the thinking interferes with productivity it has a negative effect.
    Sometimes the best advice is think less do more.
    Of course those of us who are cursed with an excess of thinking are probably better off than those who dont think enough.

7. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Why thank's teacher (and the rest of you with the replies!) :) Yeah I agree that you can't really "think" too much in MA, it's more about natural reflexes and reactions than sitting in a chair next to a quiz master to win some big fancy prize! The thing that Bon said I agree with that one, as sometimes it takes a clear mind to come up with something inspirational! (me and my dad were talking over this too, so yep, it's all good) Agree with you there too WW, but I guess as with everything, if there's money to be made, someone will try it! :D

Yep, tho just to play 'devils advocate' I'll say "Easier said than done!" (especially in my case sometimes! :D) But yeah we all have our individual wee traits, thinking is one of many, I guess like a double edge sword as you say teacher "Of course those of us who are cursed with an excess of thinking are probably better off than those who dont think enough.", funny how many would say that many things in life need some kind of 'balance' dont it? :)

8. Jack

Jack Valued Member

When you think, you tend to strengthen illusions, creating labels, categories, groups, opinions... so if you think too much you can definitely get too bogged down in subjectivity. For someone trying to live in mindfulness, lots of thought is very unskillful.

Jack

9. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

To sum it all up......Yes, you can think to much:D

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

You can only think too much if your thoughts are unfocused, or focused on nonsense. I'm not talking about martial arts, but life in general. You have to have the discipline to think about your thought process,and not dwell on things that need no thought. That is, if you have a problem, think about it until you have reached a conclusion - either you have a solution or you determine that you need more info. Then implement the solution or get the new info, but in either case, don;t keep rpeating the sme thoguhts to yourself over and over - think it through and move on.

This can reduce stress although it might drive your girlfriend crazy, I know it does mine "why aren;t you worried more about that?! becasue I have thought it through and I know what to do"

I have a friend who is schizophrenic and one of his symptoms is obsessive thought, where he is compelled to think the same few sentences or thoughts over and over... circular thought they also call it. Also my teenage daughters tend to obsess over conversations or things that they said or were said to them ad nauseum and I think this is also over-thought.

thats just my ... uhhh... sorry forgot what I was thinking there... oh! 2 cents!

11. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I sometimes think too much in the dojo. I find myself moving and doing techniques better sometimes if I just DO and don't think about it so much. Even more true for Tai Chi than for Budo Taijutsu.

12. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

From my experience it is certainly possible to think too much when in training, depending on the situation.
    For example, learning a new technique. When I started TKD, I was taught turning kick as a series of movements-
    1) raise your knee
    2) swivel on your supporting leg so that your hips point towards your hips towards the target
    3) extend your leg so that your foot makes contact with the target.
    I would always think about what I was doing in this action and I felt quite rigid instead of just letting it flow. It was not my instructor's fault- how else could he articulate an action that felt so natural to him. Other students did not seem to be having the problem.
    I believe that the problem was that I was trying to intellectualise the kick. Fair enough, you have to learn the process of how perform to kick. But after a certain time of performing an action, I (now) believe that it should feel semi-natural. I believe think about it that much definitely made my performance worse.

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

How can you think too much? I everything you do is based on concious or sub-concious thoughts.

I have a problem that my sub-concious thinks too much and I dont have a clue what I am thinking about. :D

14. Jack

Jack Valued Member

johndoch - Yes all actions come from thought. But the amount of unncessary thoughts that fail to manifest as useful actions - innumerable.

Jack

15. johndoch

johndoch upurs

We also have loads of useful thoughts which we dont act upon.

Whats worse having loadsa nonsensical thoughts or having useful thoughts and not acting on them?

16. Jack

Jack Valued Member

All I mean to say is that a lot of the time we are not truly present in the current moment to enjoy what is available because we think too much. We worry about the future or daydream about the past, so our bodies are here but our minds are not. It is more difficult to enjoy every moment of one's life when one's attention is constantly drifting and grasping to the past and future.

There, what I meant to say now I havn't just rolled out of bed. :)

Jack

17. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Yeah, I know what you mean Jack.
    As my yoga instructor would say-
    "For us who are experiencing life at this very moment, we are being given a gift from a devine source- that's why we call it the PRESENT! (....cos it's a gift.... and......you know...present....as in here and know....it's a pun)
    Oh well :(

18. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Haha, no I know what you mean. :)

I havn't seen you here before by the way - welcome to MAP. :D

Jack

19. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Adults do too much thinking. Most young people focus on what they are doing and get on with it.... whether it be martial arts or whatever... (of course, this is a generalization)... older adults tend to rathionalize way too much ....

For some the answer is to act a little more and analyse a little less ... so that there is no "paralysis by analysis". Too much thinking simply produces too much neg. adrenaline. So with martial arts in mind.... action dissipates both adrenaline and physical tension... taking immediate action increases our confidence rather than developing a phobia, so your 'success' is achieved by trying even if you do not achieve your goal!

For you older aduls....I have found it is best to "do it rather than brood over it". ... the alternative being "paralysis by analysis" and the stress that goes with that, it just saps your vitality, saps the joy of living, and clouds each day.

I have noticed areas where I freeze or procrastinate through too much thinking and analysing. I just go over my options – then go for it. Take action – even if Idon't always get things 'right' I achieve more by boosting my confidence and my self esteem.

The Borderer --- you may be right here... " Of course those of us who are cursed with an excess of thinking are probably better off than those who dont think enough."

... this just happens to be my take on this "whole thinking too much"

(something I try to work on as I get older)
    Older people (and just look at some really older folks) .... because of their constant rationalizations (thinking) have learned to feel nervous about feeling nervous! They no longer enjoy excitement. Life becomes a threatening experience.

20. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

Hey it's nice to see a mod's view on this topic(I was wondering when one of you would show up! ;)) and yeah KC I agree with you about the "paralysis by analysis", even tho I am still youngish (hey 19, ahh the age of "twenty" looms soon .... teen no more! :)), I suppose I get like that sometimes, I think at times I'm 'adult'(in the more 'rigid' sense I guess...) in some ways than some of my peers... but in reality I'm just me! :D

For want of not wanting to take too much credit, it was teacher who said that! (try my best to give credit where it's due an all without experiencing the wrath of a TKD 2nd Dan Mod such as yourself, who I might have offended! :Angel: :)) Even tho I did agree with his view as it's on par with my own. And as I said in reply to that it is as with everything; a case of balance appears to come into play...

Geez sometimes that's like me at times! :eek: Was like at with my first year at university sometimes, probably because it was all new to me and all that and sometimes maybe 'over thinking' was a factor in it (you know, expectations and all that....) but it got better, I enjoyed my experiences of first year (to which I'm looking forward to be in 2nd year and to be a fresher's helper during freshers week!). So really it's why after speaking to a mate from uni, this thread was born MWUHAHAHA! :D

Of course along with thinking to much is imagination, must admit I have quite a 'active' imagination which I think (darned word!) is a good thing, is it not? Of course thats another topic altogether! ;)