Can you tell?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by pocketwarrior, Jan 5, 2004.

1. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

My chinese friends dad tells me that he can tell if anyone is a good fighter just by the way they look, move or come across.

I strongly disagree with this way of thinking purely because i have seen some people fight suprisingly well when they looked fairly "timid".

One comment i liked was- "Look, he's obviously had his nose broken a few times so he must be pretty good"

Or he's just had his head kicked in several times or he did it from something completely unrelated to fighting.

Does anyone else think that they can tell if someone is fairly handy?

2. Os3y3ris

Os3y3ris Banned Banned

Nah, I met this one guy that came off as extremely effeminate and weak. Dorky looking guy. Turned out that he was a sambo expert. Punished me and my friend for a couple of hours on the mat.

3. totality

totality New Member

your friend's dad sounds like a schmuck, no offense.

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Looks are deceptive.

You may be able to tell how someone can fight by the way they can carry themselves and how they approach people, but thats hardly reliable, as some people can think they fight well, but really don't.

There was a local boxer called Johnny Owen, otherwise know as 'the matchstick man' (for obvious reasons!). He wasn't much to look at, but he was a great boxer. Tragicaly, he died in the ring in 1980. Had he lived he would have been one of the greats.

[​IMG]

5. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Look at that blokes eyes, they do look fairly nutty.

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You think? Personally, going on looks, I wouldn't have given him a snowball's chance in hell. He was really skinny as well.

Thats a really bad picture, I couldn't get a better one off the net, which is a shame, as it would have made my point clearer.

7. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

I didn't mean that he looked hard, just that he looked like a bit of a psycho.

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Psycho can be the same thing, I wouldn't want to fight someone who looked psycho :D

9. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

when I look at his face, I half expect to hear the jason music playing. foo foo foo, chh chh chh

10. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Yeh, you wake up in the middle of the night and he's at the foot of your bed with a huge machette....!

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

The Jason music??

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Depends. If his dad was himself a fighter for a long time, he might be able to tell to a certain point. That doesn't mean he cann look at anyone and tell if they're a good fighter, just those that are already fighters. That is, if he can tell anything at all.

PL

13. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

I presume he meant jason from halloween (or is it friday 13th?), well that's what i thought anyway.

I know he had a few fights back in HK but how many or how good he was i don't know. He's done a few forms in his lounge before although it did look as if he was making some of them up! :D

14. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Friday The 13th :)

15. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

The jason music is comprised of 3 exhales and then what sounds like someone making a ch- sound faintly, it comes off quite creepily.

16. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

I could quite well imagine that guy doing that actually.

One theory he did come out with was to look at peoples knuckles to see how prominent they were, as if to see if they had done lots of punching/striking....

17. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Thick neck and cauliflower ears are usually a good indicator.

18. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Guess I'll play devils advocate and agree with your friends dad. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I do think that you can often tell a compitent fighter by the way that they carry themselves. But I also think that the things to look for are often more subtle than how badly broken someone's nose is. I usually watch for things like:

1. How tall do the present themselves? Sounds crazy, but a good fighter will let you think they have a lot less reach than they have.

2. How much does their center shift when they walk.

3. Are thier movements compact or wide.

4. Physical attributes (ok, now that broken nose comes in) along with cauliflower ears.

5. General psychological attributes about how the enter a room, how their eyes move, etc.

Anyway, you get the idea. Nothings sure fire in this, but it's great to get as much data as possible as you approach a situation.

- Matt

19. Serpico

Serpico New Member

I must say that I also agree with Matt. Of course, nothing is certain, but there are things that a trained eye will notice.

-Watch their eyes, where are they looking. Are focused on one point or do they seem to take in everything at once.

-How do they walk. Are their hands in their pockets?, do they swagger, do the have a firm confident walk.

-Are they shorter than they appear to be. People who are confident will always seem taller than they really are. Confidence is a key aspect of a fighter.

Just my 2 cents

20. Thokk

Thokk Valued Member

some people just give off a scary energy. It has a lot to do with their confidence how they hold themselves and how they speak... If you spend a little time with a person, you can often tell quite a lot about them, even wether or not they can kick you around the block.