Can you or anyone you know do a bicycle kick?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Bicycle Kick(At least how I define bicycle kick): Where the kicker jumps up, and then performs 3 or more kicks with their legs, alternating the leg with each kick (so you jump up and for at least three kicks go right left right or left right left.) This can be where your body is horizontal in the air and you are using your heels in 3 or more stomps, or you are more upright and delivering what could be seen as 3 snap-kicks.

A good example would be Liu Kang from Mortal Kombat, or (possibly more realistically) Neo from the fight scene with Morpheus in The Matrix (the part where Neo fights him in a sparring match).

Do you know someone who can do this, and/or can you do this? Do you think it's possible or impossible, and why?

Thanks.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I can do it (both ways, stomping and snapping). I would imagine a Taekwondo practitioner could do it better than me, but I can do it. I actually amaze myself at what I can pull off nowadays when I have a go, lol.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Sorry I've been working more on my Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku.

4. Unreal Combat

Crouching still wins.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Disregarding the fact it is a completely nonsense move and a total waste of time combatively, yes there are many who can do it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhBLz1Nmk8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blhBLz1Nmk8[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUCAMV2kA8c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUCAMV2kA8c[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

All you have to do is hold your Low Kick for 4 seconds and then release, you should do it automatically. :confused:

:running:

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Do you know he had a steel wire hanged from the ceiling and attached on his waist? He could do 30 kicks if he wanted to.

There are so many good combat skills that's worthwhile to train. Jumping kicks are not on the list. The jumping ability will be the first ability that you will lose it in your old age. When you get old, you can still kick high. You just can't jump very high.

8. Unreal Combat

That depends on the specific kick and the direction of the jump. I can throw a pretty mean forward jumping front kick that will make most people think twice, and I have regularly used this in a hard sparring environment.

Granted there are other, safer, techniques that one should focus on but never underestimate the power and surprise of a well executed jumping kick used in the right scenario.

Don't start rushing to try Crane Kicks anytime soon though.

With that said, I don't believe he mentioned anything about a jumping triple kick in a combat scenario. He just wanted to know if anyone could do it and if it was possible to do. So I don't know why people are suddenly rushing to denounce it's usefulness in a fight. That wasn't the question.

9. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I'm not aware of the particulars of how he pulled off the stunt, although I didn't think it wasn't special effects.

Why can't you jump high in old age?

Hannibal, thanks for providing the vids. If you found these in such a short time, do you know the official name for the kick? Why do you think it would be a waste of time?

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Are you trolling bro?

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's a valid question.

He obviously wants to know if Ueshiba Sensei could pull it off against Ali.

:D

12. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Although true I didn't specify it, I actually was considering training for using it in a fight. Or just on my own perhaps, I think that a bicycle kick looks pretty cool. I don't know that people are familiar enough with the kick (where they spar with someone who can pull it off) to say it is a bad kick. It seems to me it is speculation.

Also, I was sparring with some guy who jump kicked my head, and I got a mild concussion. The guy turned his back, so I started coming in to capitalize, and then he jumps up and swings his foot into my head. I was almost at the point where I forgot where I was (the dojo). It was very effective, and I believe he told me afterword that he pulled it. So jump-kicks can be effective. Since a lot of martial artists don't practice them however, it is more speculative to judge them as ineffective.

13. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

In he was in the Matrix he could...

14. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I might be able to predict the OP intention better than you do. :D

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I don't know the detail reason. It's just my personal experience. I had done "jumping kicks" all my life. I can't do it any more. :(

[​IMG]

17. Hannibal

And I answered it and showed video evidence alongside my caveat

By my standards that is practically a shisatsu and a rub down

18. Hannibal

They ARE ineffective

19. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Concussion = Effective
    (Especially if he was holding back, because we weren't supposed to be sparring full-contact)

Is this opinion derived from only witnessing 2 or so people doing it and basing your conclusion on that? To look at how well only 2 or so people perform it doesn't mean that others can't pull the kick off better.

20. Hannibal

Triple kick does NOT equal high kick. It's like saying because I can land a belly to back suplex in a fight I can use a "Canadian Destroyer" as well

My opinion is derived from emprical study of combat systems over 25+ years of practice, training with current and former world champions and recognized masters in disciplines and from being involved in violent encounters on an almost daily basis in a professional capacity and from being considered a subject matter expert both within the arts themselves and withinthe legal system

And your opinion comes from Liu Kang and The Matrix

Lets give pause to let that sink in for a minute and then consider who may have more weight to their viewpoint