can you guys recommend any good books on Judo?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Chr9is, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

Hi, i have some experience with TKD, and would like to supplement that with some training in Judo. I was wondering if any of you guysd would be able to recommend a book that shows the basic philosophy and perhaps a few basic techniques behind Judo? thanks.

2. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Sorry to post this, I am sure we're all aware of it, but I'm going to say it anyway. I'm not going to say you can't learn ma from books because although I feel you can't, others would disagree. Grappling arts however, must be trained either in a class or with training partners, you cannot properly learn a grappling art without a training partner. So you'll probably find a book, but make sure you know someone who's willing to learn it with you.

3. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

Ahh yes i am aware that i would need a partner to train with, fortunatly many of my friends are also martial artist's, and they would gladly assist me =-D. The reason i am asking for a good book is because my parents cannot afford Judo classes for me.

4. smiff

smiff Valued Member

mmm i would reccommend 'The A-Z of Judo' by Syd Hoare ( 8th Dan ).

Its a very good book, with almost every throw, armlock, and strangle. He also lists leg-leglocks and few other techniques now forbidden by modern judo rules.
    all the techniques are clearly demonstrated by olympic silver medalist Ray Stevens.
    Class booklearnt loads from it

Luke

5. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

where's your location? maybe somebody from this forum/site can help you ... like in my case, im taking jujitsu/judo class for only $35 for 6-7weeks, 2xper week ($2.50/training) and if you still cant afford this they usually look for somebody to sponsor you.

6. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

That's good. Some of the guys at my school train judo off of videos with each other, we do a little bit of judo, but they use it for the stand up portion of their jiujitsu tournaments. I think it looks cool, but I don't care for it much other than that.

Maybe you could find a really cheap judo course at a YMCA or something like that. Or, if you're looking to get into grappling in general, you could join a local wrestling team, unless you're specifically interested in judo.

Do you have mats? I don't think they'll be too glad to help you with your throws or ne waza stuff if you don't. :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  7. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Needless to say, media items can never match the experience of being taught by a qualified judo sensei.

Still, there are reasons why such things exist for an apparently existing audience (e.g. for people who don't have access to a dojo; for people who perhaps cannot afford the tuition; for martial arts collectors/enthusiasts; for those who look to further enhance their current grappling skills; etc.).

There are books that are perhaps better or more focused on certain judo waza than the ones I'm going to mention. However, I feel that they are must-haves in a serious judoka's personal collection nevertheless:

-Kodokan Judo (by founder Kano, Jigoro);

-Best Judo (by Isao Inokuma & Nobuyuki Sato).

Videos might be your best bet, as you can actually see how waza are executed. Exercise caution, safety & common sense. You can get hurt, so you'd be better off trying to find professional instruction, IMHO.

Lastly: "Caveat Emptor" (Latin for "Buyer Beware").

8. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

Thanks very much for all the recommendations. I live in Lincolnwood, IL (a suburb pretty close to chicago.) I was thinking about joining my high school wrestling team, but tryouts are over now. I do have padded carpet set up in my basement luckily, and weather, permitting grass i believe should be soft enough to practice on.

9. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Even though wrestling try-outs are over, perhaps you can talk with the coach to see if you can join-in on the workouts anyway. You wouldn't be doing it as an official member of the team, but you could say that you're willing to lend yourself as a training partner to the other guys. Stress that you wouldn't be a bother or you won't get in the way. Plus, you're really doing it for yourself to learn grappling in another form.

Heck, I was on my HS wrestling team while I trained in judo. They complemented each other well. You get real good at controlling your opponent and also develop, in time, a sense of energy anticipation or prediction. I mean, you get to a point where you can almost tell what he'll do next and then you should be able to react with legit technique without thinking about it. No matter what you get out of it, the conditioning is just awesome.

Anyway, good luck to you and try to hear what the coach might think about your possible suggestion. Oh...and remember to keep your chin tucked in to avoid banging your head, even on the mat! :bang:

10. clarkgriswold

clarkgriswold New Member

I posed a similar question 1-2 weeks ago, thread is at

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41961

I checked out Toshiro Daigo Kodokan Judo Throwing Techniques which one of the posters recommended. It looked real good and I wanted to pick it up but didn't have the cash on me. Looked real detailed as to the techniques and clear pics.

11. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

'How to dance with a person in white jim jams' by IP Freely...

12. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

A good book is "Judo Techniques & Tactics" By Jimmy Pedro. It has the history of judo, basic grips, rolls, falls, throws, holds, chokes, joint locks, pins, and counters. It also features conditioning and stretching exercises and not to mention the official rules for competitive judo.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  13. Dizzutch

Dizzutch New Member

i hope you mean, "Good books, after I'm done reading Prof. Kano's Kodokan Judo book"?