Can you actually "train Jeet Kune Do?"

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by LetsGetItOn, Jan 16, 2014.

1. LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn Valued Member

So here's my logic: You can't "train UFC", nor can you train "K-1" (seeing as they're both brand names). So with Jeet Kune Do being a 'philosophy', can you really say you "train Jeet Kune Do?", as JKD is not a style is it?

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You could go into some highly convoluted and esoteric discussion about JKD, philosophy, style, concept, etc.

Or you could just say "I do JKD."

Personally, I think that second one is more in keeping with Lee's intention. Because, while it might suggest that JKD is a style to say you "do it," it's creating an awfully big fuss over what he insisted was meant to be a small matter to bang on and on about how it's this, not that.

3. LetsGetItOn

So it's a 'style'?

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you use the process to streamline your training that there is logically and philosophically no reason why you cannot state that you "do" JKD

I certainly do

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's a method

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I didn't say that. I said the distinction wasn't worth making a fuss over. The words you use are less important than the process you undertake.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Could be direct from Sijo that quote!

8. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

if you read the foreword of Tao of jeet Kune Do your answer would already have been answered.

9. LetsGetItOn

From what i've read, there seems to be a few different groups of JKD. Do they teach the same ie Jun Fan JKD and JKD Concepts? from what i have seen on videos, etc, there appears to be a similarity in the stance of JKD practitioners, which, if JKD is just a theory, how does it create such similarities in styles? Isn't the meaning of JKD to (or similar) get rid of the impractical, and learn to use only the practical? If it's not a style per se, then, and asides from the stance similarities, this theory could be adapted to any style ie traditional karate, freestyle karate, wing chun, kickboxing, thai, etc. Would i be right in presuming that, or not?

PS
    I'm asking out of genuine interest and to stimulate debate, not cause an argument or to get 'one up', as they say.

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

I guess we should ask someone who takes it. Well, Han?

11. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

jkd is a martial art, jkd is a style without style, something so simple that the most genius people still have trouble understanding what that means

in short, it doesnt matter, be content and let it go

in long, jkd is a system based on methods and concepts to help develop one's own personal liberation and structure, jkd is best described as a formula, a list of guidelines to help improve your style and make you a more complete fighter, jkd is a martial art with trademark techniques, footwork and drills which can be learned, that you can 'do' to become a jkd practitioner, and which can be taught, a formula that has a direct heritage and is able to be passed down from generation to generation

so yes, jkd is a style, and no, jkd is not a style, it is just as sijo lee described, an artless art, or a style without style, so simple you can almost confuse yourself by thinking too much

jkd is about totality in combat, now just take a second to think about that.....

now lets just say that 'style' equals yin, and 'no-style' equals yang, well yin is not totality, and neither is yang, both are just partial halves of one whole, and THAT my friend is jkd, something so simple it is like the tao in taoism, so easy to grasp and yet it slips through your fingers like water when you try to hold on to it

so my advice to everyone out there who is confused, and i think hann would agree, is just to let it go, dont strain yourself thinking about it because its not important, the important thing is just to keep on training, keep learning, keep growing and just flow with it, dont get stale by stopping to think, just do it

jkd in lee's own words is an expression of oneself in combat, a self-expression of the human body in martial art form, nothing more and nothing less

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Semantics is the best kind of antics. If you talk to someone on the street and you lecture them about a philosophy instead of showing them your sweet nunchuk moves they're going to get bored really quickly.

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I read your post to my grandfather Fujian Animal and he said "Back in my day we just hit the [jerk ed.]."

14. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

yeah well back in his day they probably didnt have internet, and nobody probably even heard of jkd lol so either we evolve with the times or we go extinct

THAT is also jkd lol

also, your grandfather sounds like a smart man, and he makes a good point, which inspired me to create a new thread entitled 'JKD simplified for MAP users', check it out

Last edited: May 6, 2014