can u break boards?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by neryo_tkd, Oct 24, 2003.

1. TKDTraditional

TKDTraditional Valued Member

There are 2 common aspects about breaking and probably neither of them answers your question. There are 2 ways to do any technique: the proper way and the one that throws your whole body into it. If you use your body weight to break something, it's just a matter of getting your hand between your body and the board/tile. So, which technique allows the maximum body weight to drop? If you can do a proper technique, then which do you feel is more powerful? I use the word "feel" because obvious you know how it feels when you hit something.

The other aspect is the weapon or tool used to break. Many people use hammer fist or knifehand (sudo) because of its padded surface--makes someone more fearless when they strike. Fists and elbows have hard surfaces and hurt more if the break fails. Part of this too is your willingness to accept any pain.

My instructor was once asked if he could break 4 boards with his fist for a test. He said yes, it'll hurt for a month but he can do it. He didn't have to.

2. papercut

papercut New Member

well I'm the best breaker in my academy (at the age of 15 but I'm the best only lost one competition) and I can break 3 patio blocks with a downward elbow hitting with the upper forearm and I can break 2 patio blocks with a downward palm strike so I would reccomend those as the best hand techniques. and unlike many others I can break 2 boards (put together speed break) with a 360 or spin roundhouse kick (hitting with the top of my foot) but I would also reccomend the step side, regular side, spinng back kicks and flying side kicks are really easy to break with. front and flying front kicks are also good breaking kicks. but the possiblities are endless so go with what you feel comfortable doing

3. TKDTraditional

Oh, one more thought. What's your purpose for breaking? Competion, testing or personal goal?

With regard to kicks, what's your best technique? If your head drops too much on a side kick, it's hard to focus power on the board(s). Turning/roundhouse/reverse-whatever kicks suffer less from leaning backwards. Breaking is the ultimate test of technique. If you can't break with a side or front kick, a personal goal might be to improve until you can.

I never seem to tire of quoting my instructor. He says "PRACTICE breaking on the (heavy) bag. But BREAK the board." I'd rephrase that to improve you technique on a bag and test your technique on a board.

4. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

I am doing it because as a kid i was facinated by it and personal gain/improvement i just am doing this in a tournament because it is my first tournament and i am trying to keep to familiar events

5. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Proper technique should put your entire body into the strike. You shouldn't have "correct" strikes that are different from your "powerful" strikes.

6. AITKDMan

AITKDMan New Member

You know, I was never that great at breaking and then one day it somehow clicked. Once it did I really started enjoying it. Im currently working my way up to a 12 board round house, which I want to do for my 4th Dan test. I'm confident enough in my technique that I will be able to do it, now I'm just trying to build a little more muscle in my leg to do so.
    Lately though I've been fascinated with the 1" punch break (from literally an inch away, not from your fingertips away). I've gotten through 1 fullsized board with it...but that's all I've tried so far. My nuckles are fairly messed up on my right hand, for example right now it is cold so they are purple, and I refuse to let my knuckles on my left hand become screwed up as well because I play guitar and I don't wanna lose any speed on my left hand. So I tend to take it slow with the punching, if I break with a punch I won't break with another punch for a little while. My goal for 1" punch right now is set at 2 boards, and I'm hoping I find that easy enough to do 3.

I am also working on bringing myself up to a brick with a downward knife speed break. So I hold one end of the brick on a surface with my left hand and do the break with my right. I've broken 5 boards with this technique, so I'm fairly confident I'll eventually be able to do the brick.

There are all sorts of different breaks to do and all different feelings you get from them. I like to try 'em all while I'm young and stupid and pay the consequences later.

Also of note, I generally don't put that much effort into drying boards. I know it makes the breaks a lot easier, but I think that the only person you are cheating by breaking this boards that are brittle is yourself.

7. Rin

Rin Valued Member

Definately the sidekick. I mean all you have to do is push OUT with your leg cmon now. For me though it'd probably be a normal straight right since I dont have to use all that energy i'd have to use fr balance and such in a kick.

8. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Yup.. 100% in agreement!

Sorry, but I gotta ask... if your doing 12 boards.. just how thick are each board? In the UK we use boards just under an inch thick meaning your boards with be a foot thick.. which unless they are treated somehow, I dont see many (if anone) capable of breaking with a standard technique!

Drying boards!!!!! Perhaps that explains things a little.. are you using spacers as well.. as they make a BIG difference!

Please post a picture of a 10/12 (or less) board break of yourself if possible, as I always find these types of discussions confusing!

Thanks,

Stuart

Ps. Not having a go or anything.. the maths just don't add up to me but it could be because different countries use different boards (of different wood). Ive seen some real flimsy/thin boards being broken at clubs and demo's before, where 1 board we use equals 3 that they use.. then it all makes sense!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  9. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

holy mother of god a 10/12 is not natural

10. AITKDMan

AITKDMan New Member

Standard 1" thick full size boards. I don't dry my boards - I do try to keep them in a dry place though so they don't become damp. Of course, IDK about UK, but when construction says something is 1 X 12 in the US it really means 3/4 inch by 11 3/4 - just a weird thing we do. I haven't yet broken 12, I'm currently going after 10, but it is my goal (I have this weird thing with breaks and multiples of 3).

We do, however, have a machine that holds the boards which gives you a solid backing. I don't really think you can get people to hold that many boards without using some sort of sorcery, :) . The machine definately helps the break though.

I've definately seen the flimsy boards you are talking about though and understand where you are coming from. These are real boards though. I only have a picture of me breaking 9 with a side and 6 with a round because that was the last time I tested - we dont usually keep cameras around when we are breaking in class although that might be a good idea. That was 4 years ago though so I've had plenty of time to improve.

11. StuartA

Cool.. can you post them?

Thanks for the info as well.

Stuart

12. tkdbb3

tkdbb3 Valued Member

ok.... are the Pine Boards or some other kinda wood?

13. TKDTraditional

It's not really that simple. You do have to hit the board. You also should strive to hit the middle of the board. Your boards holders too will appreciate it if you can consistently hit the middle rather than their fingers.

I'm just saying that while a sidekick is powerful, most people have problems aiming it.

14. StuartA

I knew Id seen this somewhere, so did a search and found it.

Its a picture of Master Nicholls (ITF UK top guy) performing a 10 board break! It was taken in the US.. so I dont know what wood was used. It was broken with a back kick, according to the caption.

This is before the break occured (ie. actually striking):
    [​IMG]

This is after:
    [​IMG]

To me, the width looks approximatly 4/5 of the boards we use. We use breaking boards mostly, as decent size wood is hard to get in the UK, which makes them a little harder to break as they only have a single grain. I would believe Master N had to use the boards supplied as he was in the US.. so saying that is not indictive of his breaking skills as I hear hes an exccellant power man.

Stuart

15. AITKDMan

AITKDMan New Member

Here is the 6 board round. I can't find the 9 board side for the life of me...but I swear I did it, lol.

Attached Files:

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

boards don't hit back :D

17. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Well said

18. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

;)

19. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

oh yes they do... if you pull your technique & don't go through, they hit back hard!

20. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

since when do boards have hands/feet?

or better yet when was the last time a board jump someone in a bar?