Can some people be gifted...

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Orangeseger, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Push hands skills are very misunderstood - I think because taiji push hands is so stylized. Many fights end up as close grapples. One of the benefits of good push hands training is superior standing grappling skills - BJJ people use stand up grappling stuff, moving, trying to grab, twist, whatever - push hands probably evolved from that kind of training.

But also important is that not every situation is "rip their eyes out" situation. Sometimes someone just gets a bit too close, too handy, and doesn't warrant a dim mak, lol.

Proper push hands should be applicable to sparrign at least - especially techniques that pertain to closing down an attacker by utilizing contact withhis guard in some way - very useful training for combat sports.

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

This is the guy who hit someone so hard in a competition the Government passed legislation banning him personally from doing san shou - now that's funny.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQNakQFI7L4"]Yiquan pushing hands - YouTube[/ame]

Don't push me...

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I haven't been in a 'fight' since I started practicing MA, however, there are many different types of push hands. We do what we call 'dynamic push hands' which still uses listening skills. However, to the onlooker, it takes on the appearance of a cross between wrestling and sumo!

We also simulate 'situations' using enough force to make it potentially injurous (again, as with other training, this is in a local park).

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Haha..yes.

I can teach anyone to say it, there is only one condition...

you have to be able to roll your rrrrs!!!! :p

5. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Haven't "used" push hands in a real fight, but for me in addition to sensitivity push hands also develops observational skills and the ability to read where someone's weight might be. I have found that it does (to an extent) enable me to see body postures better and better results in "predicting" attacks.

Though, that is not to say, that these skills could not be developed in other ways.

Can we get this thread split please, as this is getting some pretty good info that should be elsewhere.

6. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

As soon as I make contact with an opponent, I'm pushing hands.

7. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

When I use to bounce, I would use it to stay in contact with the other persons arm or hand. It does help if you can keep your cool, stay calm I mean. Admittedly if caught of guard now no, it was a full on move fast than. You know hit the person so many times you could not consciously count the number.

8. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

That's OK - I'm quite good at rrrolling my rrrrrrrrs See? Though I think I might lack the contrrrrol of a native rrroller - when I learned a little Spanish, I think my rs sounded more like rrs and my rrs sounded more like rrrs.

I'm fine with lispy sounds like in cinco zanahoras and I can manage some of the less tricky Slavic word beginnings like dv and ts. I have to admit though that the Scottish ch or Spanish J can leave me a little cold unless I have a cold.

I can also rroll arrround on my rrrrrrs :D

Right then, let's give this a go - drum rrrroll please -

chlanfairpwychlgwyngychllgogerych..chwyrndrobwchlchlchlantysiliogogogochthsch...

How was that?

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

So you got any clips to share. This guy, competition, san shou, mad powah -you get the idea.

And when do we get the taiji missing link from you?

10. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, if there is a video, I haven't seen it. But there's plenty of video of Yiquan people fighting.

The missing basic is you.

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yea I've seen a fair bit. What's funny is you need tools for the job, so why did the founder do away with them ?

Now you have to go lift them from elswhere, maybe you're feeling a bit hard done by on that score.

Hence all your searching. Keep searching, the truth is out there wise yoda!

You mean you were alluding to me when you mentioned this missing link, and the founder of yiquan too.

WOW!!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  12. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, one of us is right. It's not you - but between us we make it.

Of course. The missing link is always you - the art has no expression except through the people who are its frame. But what it really means is that if you can't make it work, then what's missing is not in the art, but in your perception or understanding or expression of the art.

Whether you personally can make it work, I don't care. The price you've paid is too high.

13. Dan Bian

I haven't been on MAP that long, but I have taken the time to look back through the history of the Tai Chi forum.
    I notice a lot of similarities in attitude between Fire-quan and this guy, though admittedly they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The underlining idea is similar;
    "I know something you don't know, and I'm not sharing!"

14. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, I can't be arsed reading back hi stuff, but if you think I'm saying I know somethgn you don't, then you've actually proved the point of beeing so wrong that you actually believe the entire opposite.

If the missing basic is you, your intuition, your insight, then how could I know it? You alone know it.

15. Dan Bian

You're either saying that, or just talking bloxx :)

16. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I've been lucky to meet some incerdibly, off the scale wise people, and, being wise myself, ha ha, I've always at least been wise enough to understand that they were on to something, even if I couldn't get it. And every time, without exception, some other people called those wise people stupid. Reason being, if you say somethign sufficiently over the head of someone else, they've actually no way of knowing whether it's stupid or not - so they might even assume that you are stupid, if they can't understand you. How funny is that?

Course, sometimes it's just bollox as well! ;)

17. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hey, I am impressed jkz!! :D

The Welsh ch is pronounced the same as in Scottish and the LL can also be tricky (especially if you have a cold and are flemmy)

Still off topic i know, but as a child, I made excellent amounts of pocket money pronouncing it for the American visitors. They paid well and thought it 'quaint' that we spoke a different language! The locals never say the whole lot.......thats how you know who's from where!! :confused: :love:

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Where do you keep your wooden spoon? :eek: You need to be smacked with it for bringing this stuff up!!! :p

19. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I have just recently started getting another language down myself, Spanish!

I now without a doubt believe that one does become more human, the more you can understand others the more you seem humbled. I have always wanted to learn other languages because of the fact that I believe some day we all will return to speaking the language of the "Birds". It is just to bad I can not possible learn that language.

Now back on subject, well maybe not!

20. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

I don't think that any one of the "regulars" are doing that are they? :confused:

We all have a favourite/prevailing view-point/world-view and some views align with our perspective while others don't. It happens this way all the time in the real world.
    There is some spirited discussion and I think sometimes people say things that might be a tad personal ... and maybe we shouldn't do that.
    On the same token, unless we are specifically targeted, it might be better to keep discussing without initiating an attack designed to "retaliate" to a perceived slight?

The martial arts is about holistic balance and I learn from all of you, thank you!

Cheers