Can lifting weights ruin your chances of punching harder in the future

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by tooksomechin_na, Dec 1, 2014.

1. tooksomechin_na

tooksomechin_na Valued Member

I want to start lifting weights and my goal is to eventually be able to lift 250 or 300 over my head. But I saw this-

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-...-lifting-weights-wont-increase-punching-power

After I'm able to lift that much weight eventually, will I have adapted/shaped my body in such a way that it's now adapted for lifted weights, and made it so I won't be able to ever punch harder again? Or, would it still be possible, thereafter?

What if I were to lift and practice punching everyday. Say, lift and throw 500 punches with my both arms?

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

depends on how you put that 250 or 300 lbs overhead.

if it's a 250lb snatch or jerk (MAP member steve has put 250lb over head in "crap session" and he's an amateur boxer) then it wont stop you punching hard as long as you develop decent punching technique.

plus the writer doesnt think weightlifting is bad, just that it shouldnt be your focus if you want to punch someone with reasonably heavy hands:

3. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Let's see: adding muscle mass may mean one can't punch harder? Interesting theory but I'd rather be punched by a child then a full grown bloke.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

short answer: no

long answer: no, it will not :p

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

have you ever seen pictures of evander holyfield or lennox lewis?

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I think the myth must've had its origins in observing muscular behemoths but otherwise untrained in the fighting arts receiving beatdowns by relatively smaller muscled opponents who knew how to correctly throw punches - i.e. boxers :)

I've heard that carrying a lot of muscle mass can make a fighter prone to gas quicker - I canna say by experience if this be true or not; however, I can personally vouch for the idea that an equivalent amount of fat will make for early gassing

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Be careful that daily punching does not interfere with your recovery between lifting sessions.

The effect of weight lifting on your punching is a pretty moot point if you don't yet know how to punch correctly. You can punch "harder" (than what exactly, I don't know because you haven't told us) through sheer good mechanics and less wasted energy.