Can I start karate at 39 and get good at it?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by miyagi, Feb 22, 2011.

1. cejames

cejames Valued Member

Hi, Miyagi:

Awesome, go for it. Only one recommendation, do not focus on the system or style. Focus on the Sensei or Instructor or Teacher. Look to them regardless of the system taught.

If you and that person fit; if they have the right teaching/instructing credentials/ability then go for it.

Your age means nothing in this pursuit. Your willingness, due diligence and desire/attitude are all you need. If the instructor acts as if your to old or something that makes you feel bad, go elsewhere.

Good Luck!

Charles J.

I am fifty-seven, I started diligent and dedicated study of Isshinryu in 1976 with Sho-dan in 1979. I still practice today and am learning more each day. Go for it dude!

2. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Go for it Miyagi!
    I started training Wado at 40, six years later and i'll be doing my Shodan (1st black belt) in next 18 months with luck and the wind behind me (best place for it).
    If you want to train for self defence, look at how your chosen club train, if its all Kata and tournament/semi contact stuff, you won't learn self defence from that kind of training- you need to train realistically, in the long term.
    Flexibility can be an issue, i'm currently following Van Zandt's programme to increase flexibility and it's hard going, but i want it! High kicks are not necessary for good self defence, good avoidance, footwork and a strong, fast punch are more important.
    Best of luck.
    And whoever said training Karate wont help with groundwork doesn't appreciate the breadth of the Wado system!

3. cejames

cejames Valued Member

Strong, Fast Punch ... NOT

I would disagree with this part but what the hey, I are just an Isshinryu guy :eek:

Now, if all your talking about is scoring points, then that is another matter.

Charles J.

4. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

This is what i said, you can of course disagree, but IMHO self-defence scenarios rarely involve the space or opportunity for risky high kicks.

5. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

Self defense is a pretty broad canvas. I mean, defending yourself in a bar fight just might allow plenty of kicks and fun moves, defending yourself in a war zone definitely requires big automatic weaponry (and friends with even more automatic weaponry), and defending yourself from a murder attempt may just be fast twitch reflexes and a lot of running. They are all self-defense, though.

It's pretty common for people to say "it is[n't] good for self defense", but it needs to be qualified.

--Me

6. cejames

cejames Valued Member

Hmmm, can you elucidate a bit? I mean, experience in self defense; experience in fighting; experience in violence?

7. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

I'm certainly no Arnold Schwarzenegger, but let's see.

Had my nose broken 4 1/2 times (not sure about the half because I didn't go to the doctor). I never said I was a good bar fighter, but for whatever reason I've experienced a few.

Been shot at a few times (and nearly wet myself a few times). Was bombed once, also. Suicide bomber at the local market.

The point, however, has nothing to do with my experience. The point is that "self-defence" is a word which can mean so many different things. To say "most self defense situations start up close and personal" is just not true. For people who are getting jumped in a bar, most fights you can see coming a mile away, and you have time to prepare. For a predatory assault, yes, it's probably a sneak attack from behind, and you have no warning. Both are self defense situations, but both are completely different.

--Me

8. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I started at 39 and achieved black belt at 46. I'm now 50 and have had an injury that has pretty much stopped me training, but I still assist in teaching. One of the other people who graded with me for shodan has just achieved 2nd dan (I think he's a couple of years younger than me).
    So the answer is yes to training and achieving.
    In terms of effective techniques, the answer is that you will be better off than if you didn't do anything (I know I can deliver hurting techniques), but there will always be someone quicker and better than you.
    So the answer to that is maybe.
    You ain't going to turn into a ninja overnight, that's for sure!

9. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

If you exersize,eat right, live right and make it your dedication then you will be fine and you will find the right level for you. Everyone is different if you invest 100% you will not fail.

10. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Jesus christ, yes..

im sry all I just discovered this thread.

11. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Anyone can paint the fence, sand the floor, and wax on-wax off, at any age. :)

12. Osu,

You're not to old to get mugged, are you?
    Get out there & train! :D

Osu!

13. likeke34

likeke34 Valued Member

haven't read through the thread but you definitely can...

we have a shodan who in my honest opinion, is one of the hardest guys to spar against currently at our dojo... He started around 10yrs ago and I'm guessing he's in his late 40's right now possibly older... He just loved it, trained hard, and competed A LOT lol... He tells me to not hold back on him at the dojo and i sweep him a lot and HARD but he say's he likes it because it's forcing him to learn... very strong spirit

14. Kodama

Kodama Valued Member

There is an old saying in Japan. When i get retired i can finally start training seriously...

15. 47MartialMan

Except one will have ailments like gout, arthritis, diminished eyesight, slower reaction times and agility, reduced ability to think clearly, difficulty recalling memories, etc.

Hardly anyone "retires" at a young age

16. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

WTF? Hardly a foregone conclusion for what awaits us in our retirement years. I for one do not intend to, erm, you know, wotsit ... thingy doobery. Oh i forget now but I did like the way it wobbled, i think.
    Now where are my glasses and my zimmer, I must amble and stagger slowly to somewhere. :rolleyes:

17. Osu 47MA,

Your experience is impressive :D:D
    Thank you for sharing ;)

Osu!

18. 47MartialMan

Are you saying I am a ol bugger?

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

*Cough*Randy Couture*Cough*

Genetics plays a big factor. Especially as you get older, but if you have enough passion you can become great at it.

20. Kodama

Kodama Valued Member

What is important is the mental attitude not your physical abilitys:cool: