Can hard work/fitness make up for lack of experience?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Oct 22, 2017.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I plan on competing in MMA next year, but considering I'm a beginner I think my best chance is to get my fitness up as much as possible in addition to improving my technique. A year training in martial arts is not a lot, but a year of training physical attributes (and eating healthy) can show a lot of improvement.

They say you need 10000 hrs to become an expert in any field. At 8 hours a day that can be done in about 3.5 years. Guess I better get to work!

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Oh god yeah. Cardio is a real killer. If you get someone else and it's their first fight, you can win on cardio. My friend is an international level judo player and he got flash KO'do in he first ten seconds of his MMA debut. He woke up and continued to fight. Won a splot decision.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

The ongoing battle of your self improvement :D

Make sure you don't sway too far from the MMA training, and any fitness training doesn't impact your MA training (too sore/tired to train).

I would say any fitness you do work on it's about 60-70% anaerobic work and the other part (40-30 %) aerobic.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Fitness will help no doubt, but if it's a properly matched bout, you shouldn't be playing catch up too much.

axelb likes this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Being better condition will also help your training: you'll get higher quality output for more reps/time and generally have higher quality and quantity of work.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Being more aerobically conditioned will allow you to deal with the adrenaline dump that comes with your first fight, it will also allow you to recover better between rounds and keep a clearer head.

Nothing beats technique but conditioning and strength can go along way to offset any slight differences in skill.

Mma is mostly alactic and aerobic in nature so keep it simple increase you aerobic conditioning, your power output at threshold and your explosiveness, I'd stay away from too much lactic anaerobic stuff for mma it's not worth it and will take away too much from your technique work

Knee Rider, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Oh and I forgot what weight category will you be in, if it's heavyweight as I suspect you had better be strong because you will get a lot of mmmm large aggressive meatheads in that division in the amateurs

Knee Rider, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  8. axelb

This is a good point, they probably get a fair amount of anaerobic training in class as it is.

9. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Aggression is the most improtant part of fighting, if you can master that and tap into that,you can win. surprise aggression and speed, is how you win any fight, or something to that effect.

Fitness is just as important, but fitness and skill shortcomings can be made up by aggression.

10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I understand why you might want this to be true but it isn't.

11. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Utter rubbish.

The bolded part shows how rubbish it really is.

aaradia, Hannibal, axelb and 2 others like this.
  12. Dead_pool

Nope.

axelb likes this.
  13. axelb

No, no, very wrong! this is a common beginners mistake, and a reason they experience supplies better advice.

Hannibal likes this.
  14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It can be argued too much, unless we are talking pure folkstyle or freestyle wrestling no combat sport is lactic they are all a mix of aerobic and alactic work, and any conditioning outside of class needs to not distract or take away from your class training

Mangosteen, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't talk about what you don't know

Seriously - its actually quite annoying

EdiSco, Latikos, axelb and 2 others like this.
  16. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Aggressive and out of shape sounds like a way to get gassed and knocked out. :/

17. axelb

You say you're new to this, but you are on the right track with this knowledge :)

AndrewTheAndroid likes this.
  18. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Rataca100 got banned LOL :D I think he was partially trolling.

19. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I don't think he was trolling to sadly

20. Dead_pool

You can always read his blog, I wont post it as it's NSFW and definitely not about martial arts.

Knee Rider likes this.