Can grappling be learned quickly 1 on 1

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

It's more when it's non Portuguese speakers use it to bolster their own authority/ego.

And as we've all learnt from the pandemic, theirs some really really skilled, exceptionally stupid people with a black belt.

Cough cough Gordon Ryan.... Etc....

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

All sports are full of athletically gifted people who really are dense, Gordon does seem to be in a class by himself at times though

hewho and Dead_pool like this.
  3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Where?Sorry,DP,but I been gone so long I disremember where ya'll are at. I couldn't find anything in regard to it being a legally protected term in the UK or the US,tho'.
    But I did discover that in neither of those places do academic professors have to be PhDs.

And...... for some MA trivia,long before most folks had heard of BJJ the various lines of Kenpo in the US commonly used the term for senior BBs. Always thought it was a bit much.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

I've just looked, and I think you may well be right, people being taken to court over it, arnt being taken to court because it's a protected title, but that they were using an incorrect term to mislead people.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So would it be misleading to use it as "professor of juijuitsu"?

6. Dead_pool

Are they teaching university courses in jiu-jitsu?

Do they have a PHD in jiu-jitsu?

Are are they just misusing an academic title?

It's understandable for native Portuguese speakers, however when it's done by Dave mc Davidson at the local Gracie Barra franchise, and he's a purple belt, it's a lot more about highlighting the difference between student and coach to look good.

For people who are really good, it's unnecessary, for people who aren't really good, it just looks silly!

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, fair. I've never seen a good instructor say "Please call me Professor" anwyay. My instructor has said hes prefers to be called by his name more than anything.

8. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

On the honourifics: There will always be people who are either insecure or super hierarchical in any endeavour, but in my experience the world class people don't behave like that

Back to the topic: Yes 121 sessions are very valuable, probably need to be accompanied with rolling with a spectrum of people and in these challenging times you can even do 121s remotely which, in my experience, works really well if you have a training partner at home

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Cheng,Man-ch'ing's American student called him Professor,but of course he actually was one.

Personally I find the ridiculous proliferation of the Grandmaster,Great-Grandmaster,Great-Great-Grandmaster title junk to be more irritating than some folks being titled professor.

At least the term professor in relation to an instructor of MA or anything else seems more applicable.
    ------------------------------------------------
    from Online Etymology Dictionary-

professor (n.)

late 14c., "one who teaches a branch of knowledge," from Old French professeur (14c.) and directly from Latin professor "person who professes to be an expert in some art or science; teacher of highest rank," agent noun from profiteri "lay claim to, declare openly" (see profess). As a title prefixed to a name, it dates from 1706. Short form prof is recorded from 1838.

grandmaster (n.)
    as a chess title, 1927, from grand (adj.) in the sense "chief, principal" + master (n.). Earlier (as two words) a title in Freemasonry (1724) and in military orders of knighthood (1550s).

10. Dead_pool

It's not really an either / or thing though is it.

Interestingly a lot of the old school Brazilian schools have a seperate coaching course, they call a "professor" course, so you can see how the confusion could arise.

is-there-a-doctor-here-im-am-a-professor-do-41872422.png

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  11. Dead_pool

And Garry Tonon, and Tom deblass, and Renzo, no wonder Eddie Cummings left for other gyms!

icefield likes this.
  12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Maybe it's a new York thing :)

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

My trainer in thailand just treated me like I was her mate outside of training. Even tho shes like a well big famous fighter. Dave at crossface just got ne to call him dave as well. Some prople would refer to him as the coach but never any pretentious terms like sensai or master.